Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation October 2021

Options
1234568»

Comments

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hi everyone! Hope you're all doing well and recovering from the ordeal of rads. I've been feeling pretty good; lots of itching on my chest but I try not to scratch. I "pat" the skin and put some cream on that the doc prescribed but it doesn't help much.

This morning I noticed that the darkened skin under my armpit is peeling! Looks really strange because the skin underneath is so much lighter in color. It doesn't hurt but it looks weird. It's a week since my treatment ended so I'm hoping this is as bad as my SEs will be.

Happy Thanksgiving to the USA posters. Enjoy your holiday.

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited November 2021
    Options

LW- So glad your skin did not get worse. I had the darkened skin in my armpit as well, with the light pink new skin underneath. It looked so odd. It was gross when it started peeling, to me it seemed so thick. The itchiness on the breast and the chest drove me nuts, but I wouldn't scratch for the life of me; I was determined to not have anymore scars than I already have.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

• Maura1
    Maura1 Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hi everyone!! I hope everyone is getting through treatments okay. I just had my last of 30 treatments today, I’m so relieved to be done. I noticed that my skin is opening a little bit right along my scar in my underarm. Did anyone else have this happen? I’ve had a lot of redness and peeling the last week or two but this I just noticed today

• serendipity09
    edited November 2021
    Options

Maura - cheers to being done!! I had the same on my scar, but rich in the middle of my breast. It took a little longer to heal than the rest of the skin and it is still brighter in color. I thought it was going to turn into necrosis, but it didn't, it's just fine. I hope you begin to heal soon!

• lw422
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hey Maura1--and yippee for being done! It's a great feeling to walk out of there for the last time! I didn't have any broken skin, thankfully, but I know many people do. Hopefully it will heal without a problem. Good luck with it.

Serendipity--how are you and how's the Xeloda going? Bless your sweet heart; I hope things will smooth out for you. A bit off-topic, but I read in one of your posts that you have POTS. That caught my eye because one of my best friends was recently diagnosed and she's really down in the dumps with it. Apparently her heart rate goes up really high for no reason and she's scared of what might happen. Anyway, I had never heard of POTS before so I was surprised to see your post. Take care.

• pamep
    pamep Member Posts: 66
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hi Maura, Great news that you're done with radiation. I finished one week ago and actually shed some unexpected tears of relief in the privacy of my car afterwards. My underarm is still quite red-brown right around the sentinel lymph node biopsy scar, which is a nasty red. The area is both itchy and a bit pained, as is the breast generally. Hopefully these are temporary SEs from the radiation. I am using aloe vera gel, calendula cream, an anti-itch med, and sometimes a non-talc baby powder on the area. The color does seem to be diminishing. My RO and techs said that the radiation effects may increase up to 5 days after the last treatment, and then subside.

How nice to be finishing up before the holidays. All Be Well!

• serendipity09
    edited November 2021
    Options

LW - I had never hear of POTS either until I was diagnosed 5 years ago. I have a feeling that is what's going on and not an SE of X. My heart rate will go up as I'm sitting and when I go to stand it goes up even higher, to the point where I feel like I'm going to pass out. It's scary. my Neurologist who was treating me for it is retiring in two weeks and I have to wait until Feb. to see the new one. I have a call in to my PCP who will work with my MO to put me on a different heart med. So frustrating, as if there wasn't enough going on, but not going to complain because I'm still breathing!

Have a great night!

• lw422
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi everyone! Just stopping by to wish you all a happy and HEALTHY new year!! Hope you're all doing well.

• pamep
    pamep Member Posts: 66
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hey LW422 and Everyone,

Happy New Year too, and good going forward to all! May we all be well and pain free.

Pam

• lw422
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hello again to all the October 2021 Rads friends!! Can you believe it's been a YEAR?? Wow, how time flies... it seriously seems like a month ago that we were sharing the "experience." I will always appreciate everyone's support during that time, and I hope that each of you is doing well. Take care and hugs to you all. Check in and let us know how you're doing.

• serendipity09
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hi Lw!! It seems like it was yesterday. I'm normally good with "anniversary dates," but this one didn't even cross my mind. Probably because it was such a bad experience for me. With that being said, I am grateful to be doing well. Thanks for the check in. You were all such a great support to me! Hugs to you my friend!!

• lw422
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hey Serendipity! How are you? Didn't you recently have surgery? I apologize for not keeping up with everyone a little better. I hope you're doing well. I'm trying to get used to dealing with lymphedema... ugh. I dreaded this so much but now it's just one more unpleasant thing to deal with. Cancer truly is the gift that keeps on giving but at least I'm still here to complain. Take care and keep in touch; hugs back atcha!

• lw422
    edited October 2022
    Options

Paging NatureYogi!! Hope you will check in sometime and let us know how you are. I think you were having a prophylactic mastectomy a few months ago and I hope that went well. Take care.

If any of the other "Rad Sisters from October '21" are still around I hope you'll update the thread.

• serendipity09
    edited October 2022
    Options

LW - I had a DIEP 8 weeks ago today. I've recovered well. Still dealing an issue with my abdomen incision not healing the way I think I should be healing, but the PS says it's normal. I trust her and her team so I take it day by day. Looking forward to the day that I can put this chapter behind me. Like you, I'm happy and grateful to be here and that you are too <3

I'm sorry you ended up with LE. You were so good on keeping up with your daily stretches and PT to prevent it and yet it happened :( UGH!!

• lw422
    edited October 2022
    Options

Serendipity--I'm glad you're doing OK from the surgery and I hope there's no issue with that incision. You have been through more than your share with this crap. I'm doing OK with the LE so far; I have minimal swelling but it causes a lot of discomfort in my axilla. I hope it doesn't progress but there's nothing I can do to stop it. So many unpleasant things we have to deal with. Take care of yourself and keep in touch, Ivy. You are a gem.