Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo October 2021

Options

Comments

• GRZ7279
    GRZ7279 Member Posts: 30
    Options

Welcome kksnurse. Glad you found the group and I hope you find some useful tips here.

oldladyblue I am so glad to read that the first treatment was not as bad as you expected. The anxiety really has been the worst part for me as well.

Noodlesg you asked for tips on keeping energy levels up. I am on day 3 and have zip, nothing, nada for energy. I basically still feel like I have a stomach flu. Today, I can add a very dry mouth and fuzzy tongue to my list of symptoms, along with a low-level headache. However, none of these things are intolerable. My mother's best friend survived leukemia when she was my age. She texted me this morning to remind me to keep my eye on the prize: I have a wonderful husband and four beautiful children to live for, so I'm trying to stay focused on the goal here. With that in mind, I'm just scheduling things. I make myself do the post-mastectomy stretches the PT told me to do twice a day. I have climbed up on the stairmaster and done my regular workout for two of the last three days. (Yesterday, I felt so crummy that I gave myself a break and just did a 45 minute walk with my husband instead.) I am also taking 1-2 naps every day. Honestly, even though exercise is the last thing in the world I want to do, doing it anyway does give me more energy and makes me feel a little better. The naps help, too, although it's hard to get up. Napping on the couch a couple of hours before the kids come back from school helps because it guarantees that they'll wake me up and I won't just sleep the whole day away.

This is hard for me, because usually I am pretty good at listening to my body. Before this started, though, my oncologist told me that the more I lie around feeling miserable, the worst the fatigue will get. So I am determined to keep moving, no matter how much I don't want to. Oh, I am also applying the same philosophy to eating. I have no interest in food, either, but I'm still eating three reasonable meals a day anyhow. Mind over matter. We can do this!

• Faith-over-fear
    Faith-over-fear Member Posts: 28
    Options

noodlesg, I am day 3 and feeling the fatigue and humbled. I am really actve, so this is playing with my mind some. I do some and then restore. Bestto you and your 8 year old (boy or girl)? I haven't cut hair yet. Probably should have but struggling to. I ordered2 cheap wigs to try, lol! Haven't gotten them yet. Who knows what I'll look like! Hated to spend alot, they are expensive.

Oldladyblue - so glad you are through the first one as well. Our mind can definitely m!keep things scarier. I hadthe same sleeping pattern before. Sleeping 4 - 6 hours broken sleep. Hope this gets better since I'm on a path now.

Kksnurse, I have the same thoughts about the hair. Dont want OR NEED any more attention to myself:) it is a humbling experience. Best

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    Options

Well today wasn't as good as yesterday, but still not bad. Water tasting a bit funny, my thoughts are a bit scattered, mouth sores started but responded well to baking soda/water rinses. I went out in my garden to fuss a bit and water the dry things. Wish I felt like a long walk. Went to sleep early at 7pm, but awake again at 11. Wish I could sleep.

Noodlesg - good for you walking for 3 miles, wow, I understand you are disappointed comparing that to your prior running, but I can't imagine going 3 blocks right now. I will try to walk some every day per my onc and nutritionists' advice.

GRZ729 - yes, shocking to me how much anxiety I had during all the decisions and waiting to start, so glad that the anxiety is letting up. I was told not to take anything (supplements) that weren't recommended by my doctor, and I wonder if stopping the vitamins I used to take have had anything to do with the constant worry. Thanks for the tips on fatigue and exercise. I will have to try and increase my activity levels. I could probably do a 30 minute walk if I pushed myself.

faith-over-fear - I hope your mind slows down and sleep comes better. Those 2 things together turn me into a witch and I have to be careful to not snap at my everyone. I usually groom my two little dogs, but couldn't get myself motivated today and they were overdue so I paid for grooming. It makes me happy to see how good they look, so I guess it was good to spend the money. I think I'm going to have to actually ask for help more, which irritates me, as I am usually the busybody who is helping others....

Thank you all for keeping this thread going. It is a lifeline to me.

• oldladyblue
    Options

Well today I felt good. Didn't take the anti-nausea meds, never really got nauseous. Maybe the prochlorperazine maleate was causing the weird heaviness I was feeling the last few days as it is gone today. Went for a 20 minute fast walk, eating pretty normally.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,980
    Options

Hi All!

TODAY: Zoom virtual meet-up for people going through chemotherapy (caregivers welcome)

Tuesdays 1:00-2:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Register in advance for this meeting

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

• Noodlesg
    Noodlesg Member Posts: 33
    Options

Hello ladies how are you??

GRZ7279 - Thank you so much your advice. I spread myself a bit too thin last week, and have learned my lesson. Those naps are terribly important. I am going to start doing hatha yoga after the wound from my port placement heals. Pretty excited about that. I also love 'eye on the prize,' that puts thing in perspective doesn't it? How are you doing this week? When do you go for your next appt?

Faith-over-fear - Are you feeling better today? I'm normally super active, too. I get my infusion on Tues, so Mondays are my good days, and I try to do more then to compensate for Wed & Thur lol. My 8 yr old is a super sporty active boy. Thank goodness there are a bunch of other kids in the neighborhood that he can burn some energy with. The other day he asked me to play tennis with him, I was so heart broken. Take your time with the haircut, you'll know when it's right for you. Let us know how the wigs turn out :)

oldladyblue So glad to hear you're feeling better! Are foods still tasting different? Yesterday during my infusion, I suddenly had a weird taste in my mouth, and I popped in a piece of candy. It went away soon after. The nurse said it can happen to sometimes. I hope you're able to sleep better soon. Do you think it's the anxiety that is keeping you awake?

Just a little update on me - long day yesterday! I went to hospital early(!!) morning for bloodwork and port placement, to be followed by second round of chemo. The wait was so long, and later I found out someone forgot to schedule my port placement. Kudos to staff who actually found the surgeon to do it, but the added stress and extended wait meant more anxiety and really high blood pressure. Anyway, it was all done, and I left at 4pm. Crashed on the sofa right after I got home. Today the area where the port was placed is really sore. Other than that, I'm not feeling so bad from the chemo (so far). I have read that hair loss sometimes happen starting with the 2nd infusion, so am a bit nervous. Anyway, my goal today is to go for a walk later after clearing some emails.

Thanks for reading :) Sending lots of positivity to all of you.

• GRZ7279
    Options

Hello Ladies,

Noodlesg- I can relate to how awful it is when you can't do things with the kids. My husband and children have been really great, but I felt SO guilty last week when our dog escaped because I was so slow getting out of bed. My husband had to leave early to take his mom to an appointment and didn't want to wake me. My 13 year old daughters also didn't want to wake me, so they got themselves ready and out the door for school, but they accidentally left the garage door and the door leading to the garage wide open. When I finally woke up (around 10am) the dog was nowhere to be found. Fortunately, animal control found him before the girls even got home from school, but it was a horrible few hours. It never would have happened if I had been engaged in the morning routine like usual. Not being there for my kids is hands-down the hardest part of this entire experience emotionally.

Faith-over-fear: Have you gone hat shopping yet? Hats and scarves are not nearly as expensive as wigs. My stepmother took me to the gift shop at UCSF, which had a wonderful selection of gloriously soft head coverings. I found so many cute hats that I'm honestly almost looking forward to the hair loss so I have an excuse to wear them all. Besides, I won't have to deal with any of the inconveniences of having hair for a while. No shampooing, shaving, styling, blow drying, etc. Since all the lotions, mouth washes, scar care, wound care, medications, and stretches have turned my morning routine into a really long ordeal, I honestly don't mind one less thing to deal with in the mornings.

I am almost a week out from the first treatment. I'll have the second one next Wed. (Noodlesg, we're doing the same treatment, but in reverse. I'm starting with AC every 2 weeks and then I'll do the weekly taxol after that.) I still feel nauseated and have no appetite, but I stopped taking the meds because they were making me so sleepy. I don't feel any worse without them. Acupuncture helped for a couple of hours, but then it came back again. I've been trying some yoga poses: https://curejoy.com/content/4-yoga-poses-nausea/. Those seem to give me some relief, so I'll do them in the mornings when it's particularly bad. The relief doesn't really last long, though. The nausea isn't unbearable. It reminds me of being pregnant with my twins. That lasted for months and I survived that, so I can do this. I figure the prize is similar, too. I did that so I could share my life with the most wonderful daughters ever. I'll do this so I can have my best shot at meeting my grandchildren someday.

Now, for the positive. I went horseback riding on Monday, which is part of my regular routine. I was afraid the nausea would make it impossible, but to my utter surprise I felt 100% normal after about 5 minutes. I had a fantastic lesson and was even able to try some new skills, which I assumed would be totally impossible while going through chemo. It was awesome. For 30 minutes, the nausea, the brain fog, everything was gone and I could focus completely on my absolute favorite recreational activity in the world. Granted, it all came back about 20 minutes after I climbed down, but if I can keep riding through this, I can tough out all the rest because I'll know I can look forward to being me for at least a little while each week. My instructor was ecstatic and spouted off all kinds of stuff about how a horse's heart rhythm promotes healing and people who ride live longer. I don't care why or how I felt better up there. I'm just thrilled that it worked!

• Everythingispossible
    Options

Hi All

Had my first infusion on Monday.I had numbing meds to apply to my port sight at home; they worked pretty well. Although, I had developed an infection at my port site late last week so the site was still angry.

I would describe the symptoms like LizzyLizzy as a hangover. Came home from chemo had a great lunch and then the headache and nausea kicked in. After talking to the nurse decided to stop the Zofran given for nausea because the headache was making me nauseous. Round and round.

Day 3, still feeling pretty wiped out! I’ve worked from home a little bit. Glad my hubby is doing all the household stuff! Thinking today a walk is in order!

I have been told by so many people that everyone’s journey is different. I’m not as worried about my hair, always worn it super short anyway. I’m totally freaked out that my finger nails could fall off, they have always been my Achilles heal!😂😩

Oldladyblue, when I was a kid my Mom was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis. I remember thinking that I should act as normal as possible and follow her lead. It sunk in overtime as the impacts became noticeable and I got older. Not quite the same but maybe it’s a good thing that the kids are coming to it slowly in their own time. My husband lost 2 siblings to cancer in their late 20’s, he always thought it would be him. This whole thing certainly impacts everyone in our lives.

Be well all, I’m glad we are here for each other. Knowing what’s coming helps

• mochipie
    mochipie Member Posts: 45
    Options

LizzyLizzy - I popped in here randomly just now at the end of my work day. You're on the same regimen I'm on, for the most part. Feel free to ask me any questions. I have exactly two Herceptins left. My world was falling apart this time a year ago and I have to say that I've been through quite a bit, but I got through it. This takes a mental, physical, and emotional toll.

Somewhere on this site are my weekly taxol tips if you can find them. I exercised regularly and drank 96 ounces of water every single day. I iced hands and feet during the taxol infusion and had no neuropathy and no nail loss. I had nose sores daily despite sleeping with a humidifier and using nasal gel, and had to take a daily colace to keep things flowing normally. Otherwise I had no real need for meds - the odd queasiness or heartburn, but nothing major. Fatigue was a trip to go through, but it didn't linger very long for me, maybe a few months after chemo ended, but I was getting more and more back to normal as soon as it stopped.

• Faith-over-fear
    Options

hello to all pink sisters,

Tomorrow is a week since first infusion. Have to say nausea is minimal, but I have been so very tired the last 2 days. Guess I just ride through it 5o see how long it lasts. I'm shuffling through the house like an old lady.

Noodlesg, Sounds like a challenge with an 8 year old boy, but what a beautiful way 5o think of good things. My 3 year old grandmother came 2ith family to help after my surgery. Exhausting but refreshing if you know what I mean:)

GRZ7279, thank you for yoga link. I'm trying it as well using YouTube. I'll definitely check this out. And a HUGE YEA!!!!! for horseback riding. Normal is key. I played 3 rounds of golf on my 3rd day and had tears. It had been 4 months and I felt a breeze of hope from that.

Oldladyblue, so glad you are feeling well. One day at a time. Are any of you diagnosed tnbc? There is a clinical trial at Cleveland clinic beginning for a Pink Vaccine.we are moving us toward a cure. If interested, I can send info.

Best to all and God Bless.

• LizzyLizzy
    LizzyLizzy Member Posts: 8
    Options

Thank you so much Mochipie! I appreciate it.

• oldladyblue
    Options

Hi ladies in our "club" that we wish we weren't in.... thanks for answering me, I read everything. And I'm happy to see the thread active so I know you are all out there, it's so comforting to me to not be "alone".

I am in a weird mental mood today, but feel good physically. Go for blood tests tomorrow to make sure all is OK. Stopping the anti nausea schizophrenia drug prochlorperazine maleate was the best thing I could have done. The weird days right after chemo were probably caused by those pills they sent me home with to prevent nausea starting. I never would have suspected what schizophrenia drugs are like, and why didn't the VA paper on the drug state what it's primary purpose was for? It wasn't even mentioned in the paperwork they gave me that it is used for schizophrenia and is a tranquilizer type drug. The drug handout just that it was an anti nausea drug for chemo patients. I would never be able to operate daily on a drug like that. Thank God for Google.

I have a horrible itchy spreading rash on my feet and some sores on my scalp, as well as bad tasting mouth. I am rinsing every chance I get with baking soda water and trying to drink more liquids in general. My nurse navigator said I probably had spider bits, but NO I don't think so. She really pooh-poohed that it was chemo related. This has to be a chemo side effect.

Hope you all have a good day today and you are getting the support, exercise, and compassion you need at home.

• Faith-over-fear
    Options

oldladyblue,

I had blood work today and minimal change. Wbc went down 1 point and rbc actually went up. Who knows!?!

I've only needed the anti nausea meds a handful of times - same one you have. I did not realize it was for schizophrenia and a tranquilizing agent.

Was really tired last couple of days. A bit better today, but SO emotional. Don't look at me sideways:) sorry to hear about rash. Hope it clears soon. NO MORE SURPRISES . Not sleeping well at night.

Glad to hear from everyone on journey. Better to share than wonder.

• oldladyblue
    Options

Faith-over-fear, I'm very glad your bloodwork is good. Did that med make you feel heavy, tired, and sort of separate from your body? I couldn't take that feeling. I've actually been sleeping better since my 1st chemo, who wudda thunk that? My insomnia hasn't bothered me thank goodness. But I am still grumpy and emotional. Yeah the rash is awful. I have tried several cremes and it isn't getting better, but I'm getting more spots.

Everythingispossible, so sad that your husband lost two young siblings to cancer. That's a hard fear to live with all your life. I'm smiling thinking of you and your kids. Keep up the good momming!

GRZ7279 Wow, lost dog! Glad the dog was found. Don't feel guilty, you have got to take care of you, sleep is so vital. How fun that you ride horses! I think that is really special.

• gamzu710
    gamzu710 Member Posts: 203
    Options

T-minus one week and I am currently freaking out because my brain has decided based on nothing at all that I will be too allergic to Taxol and that due to the current abraxane shortage will wind up having to do taxotere and will be totally miserable. I have zero evidence for any of this and I think it has been triggered because I had my egg retrieval procedure today (went fine but results expectedly bad) and I have a couple of antibiotic allergies and had to restate them and list my reactions what felt like about 200 times to every different person I encountered and watch them be written all over everything. Why my chart and the band on my wrist wasn't enough, especially for drugs that had absolutely nothing to do with the procedure, was unclear but it made the allergy issue stick in my mind.

Someone please reassure me that I am out over my skis and it will be fine, or this happened to you or someone you know and it will be fine. The nurse in my chemo class was very positive about the side effects of my regimen and my brain seems to be looking for excuses that it won't work out.

• GRZ7279
    Options

I'm sorry gamzu710 that you're going through that. This is stressful enough without having the doctors switch things around on you, particularly if you're not comfortable with the reasoning. I don't know anything about taxotere, as I'm pretty sure it's not used for my type of cancer, but I do know that oncologists vary A LOT in their approaches, so just because one doctor told you this is the only option doesn't necessarily mean you'll get the same story from someone else. I reviewed my case with three different oncologists before making a decision on chemo and got three very different recommendations. At the end of the day, the regimen I am doing is something that I chose to do because I believe it will give me my best shot at survival. I also understand what the risks of my treatment are and believe that the survival benefit is worth the level of risk that I am personally taking on by doing it. This would be absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for me to go through if I did not have faith in the treatment. So I would strongly encourage you to get some more opinions and ask for some more tests until you have absolutely all your questions answered, understand the risks and benefits, and believe that it is truly the best option for your individual situation. Until you do, don't let anyone put anything into your body. You really cannot do this if you don't trust it. Is your start date still the 21st? That still gives you a week to get some better answers and go over the evidence that you feel you're missing right now. And if you don't have the information you need by then, you can always delay a bit. Another week for you to make sure you're okay with what you are doing won't hurt.

For others that just got their first treatments and are feeling awful, I am thrilled to report that day 9 was a good day. Finally, no nausea! I felt hungry for the first time today. So hungry, in fact, that I threw a giant tantrum when I discovered that my husband ate the food I had prepared last night to ensure that lunch would be ready when I got home from work. First actual blow-up I've had since my diagnosis (actually, the first in years). I was absurdly calm when I felt terrible, so I suppose my body feeling better just gave my emotions an opportunity to take center-stage. Feeling an extraordinary amount of pressure to get five million things done in the next few days while I feel normal before starting round 2.

Faith-over-fear Yeah for good blood-work! My mom and my sisters want to come (with their children) for Thanksgiving. We decided we'll wait to see what the blood work looks like after the first three treatments before deciding if that's wise. Encouraging to hear that yours is good so far.

oldladyblue I'm so sorry to hear about that rash. That sounds awful. If your chemo nurses won't help you with it, maybe they can give you a referral to a dermatologist who can? Everything I've read about chemo emphasizes that our bodies can react in very strange and very individual ways, so it seems pretty odd that they aren't taking your concern seriously. Anyway, even if it's not chemo related, it still sounds like it's making you miserable and needs treatment regardless.

Okay, I'm going to go make some more food now. I can see my ribs for the first time in my adult life, so I'm on a mission to eat as much as possible while I can so I don't end up floating away before this is over.

• oldladyblue
    Options

gamzu710 I understand the stress in deciding what to do before treatment starts. I worried so badly I couldn't sleep and was the biggest grouch. Getting your questions answered IS VERY important, but try to keep facts separate from your feelings. My second opinion really calmed me down, so get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion. Then when your treatment starts, you will calm down more. Fear of the unknown is real. So it is good to keep collecting facts.

• oldladyblue
    Options

Wow GRZ7279 my comment to you disappeared, as it was on the same reply as mine to Gamzu710. Either I spaced out and erased it without knowing or the computer did something weird. Anyway, I will call this morning about the rash, or go upstairs to the chemo clinic when I go in to the hospital for my labs today and have someone look at my feet. I've never had a rash like this in my life. Now my scalp is itching badly too, and there are sores in a few places.

I cannot imagine trying to have visitors for Thanksgiving at this point. If you go ahead and schedule your family coming, you are far braver than I am. Of course, it may be good if you don't have to be the "hostess" and they take care of it all for you and your family. I may not even do Thanksgiving, but order in Boston Market for my husband and daughter. I just cancelled a trip to the Florida Everglades that my sister and I were planning for over a year for Christmas. Gonna be very boring holidays for me, on purpose.

• Faith-over-fear
    Options

gamzu710, I'm on taxotear and cytoxin ( so is oldladyblue). I am diagnosed with triple negative bc. This was recommended treatment plan by Florida Cancer Specialist group. I researched best I could, but, honestly it comes down to faith in doctor. I'm on day 9 and no terrible side effects. 3 days fatigue was significant enough I didn't get out, but every other day I've walked. Nausea has been pretty controlled honestly. But grz7278 is so right to say don't feel pressured. Easier said than done and I'm not the best example. I didn't know my own name for 2 months it felt, so decisions couldn't be well thought out. But we keep walking on.....:) best to you

GRZ7279 I had my first emotional explosion on day 8. Interesting! My family keeps saying... you are sostrong andcontrolled about this.....then.....never assume all is well. Just hadn't expressed the fear out loud.....until yesterday. AND when I woke from anesthesia from port placement, I woke up sobbing. Nurses said I've been holding it in:(

Oldladyblue, do let us know outcome of rash/labs. Pray they provide creams or remedy. I'm with you on holidays. Think we will celebrate in February. Don't think I could handle the festivities. I had to deal with xfinity today on phone for 20 minutes..... neededa nap after, lol. Wore me out!!!

• oldladyblue
    Options

My labs are all good except for I have too low of a Neutrophil score. (1.4 when it is supposed to be between 1.7 and 6.7). She said to check my temp, make sure I don't get a fever over 100%, and if I do to head to the ER and tell them I am a cancer patient and prone to bad effects from an infection. So I am very very glad none of my rash is infected. I am soaking my feet in vinegar water, taking Benadryl, and using aloe vera lotion on them. And, taaa-daa, my feet have stopped itching and flaking, although the red spots are still there right now. Woohoo!!. She also told me to take Rolaids for my heartburn. So I'm all good right now. I feel sort of guilty having such an easy way with my first infusion, when I know others aren't. But I guess no/low side effects are possible! The nurse reminded me that effects will be cumulative, but hey, gotta celebrate while I can.

FaithOver - it's ok that you were crying. I usually hide in the bathroom to cry so no one sees me being upset. And yes, naps are good things.

Grz7279 - What are you eating today?

• GRZ7279
    Options

oldladyblue so glad to hear that rash is clearing up for you!

Faith-over-fear I, too, woke up crying after my mastectomy. Actually, I initially woke up laughing because I was so relieved that I woke up at all. It was my first surgery ever, and I was absurdly afraid that they might accidentally kill me, you know Grey's Anatomy style. Then as soon as they wheeled me into the recovery room I started crying because, duh, my breast was actually gone and I wanted my mommy who wasn't allowed to be there. The idiotic male nurse in the recovery room then looks at me and goes, "uh, are you actually crying?" Which ironically sort of helped because annoyance at his obtuseness was a convenient emotion to replace the heavier ones that I had nobody to process with. So, I cried for about thirty second and then moved on. Haven't cried over the missing breast since. I probably will if and when the fear that this could kill me subsides. At the moment, that still blocks out most other things.

oldladyblue the menu today was:

breakfast- steel cut oatmeal, fruits, and walnuts

lunch- baked salmon, sweet potato fries, and broccoli

dinner- chickpea pasta with veggie tomato sauce (I basically just cut up whatever we have, throw it in a pan, and add a bunch of canned diced tomatoes)

dessert- zero sugar chocolate caramels (sweetened with monkfruit)

Now, I'll have some green tea and call it a night.

I got a couple of new cookbooks today.

"What to Eat During Cancer Treatment" by Jeanne Besser and Barbara L Grant with the American Cancer Society.

This is a cool book. The recipes are organized by symptoms. So they have recipes for nausea, diarreah, constipation, mouth sores, etc. It's a huge book with a ton of variety. The other one is:

"Anti-Cancer Smoothies: Healing with Superfoods" by Linda H Harris. Lots of interesting ideas in this one, also, for how to get nutrition when cooking is the last thing in the world you can imagine doing. I honestly didn't like the first one I tried, but there are 35 different ideas in here, so I'll try a different one tomorrow.

• Faith-over-fear
    Options

GRZ7279 the difference between male and female.

my nurses held my hand, rubbed my head and one put her forehead against mine and told me her mom went through it 20 years ago. Said.... tell me about your children....in my drugged state, I believed she was an angel. I'll never forget her kindness. Vs. Are you really crying?!? Covid has made our journeys alot more challenging.

Oldladyblue glad #s were on the whole good. Did you get the neurlasta shot to increase the wbc and anc between infusions?

We went to farmers outdoor market this morning. We were only there for about an hour, but pretty tired when I got home sad to say.

Best to all

• oldladyblue
    Options

Hi ladies, Happy Saturday night! I used to go out and do stuff, but now am home watching TV.

Faith-over-fear I am scheduled to get my blood tested again in a week. No one has mentioned any shots or meds to me. I was just told my score was low. I guess we will see what happens this coming Friday. I still feel really good although my temp has been 99.3 all day, down to 99 right now. If it goes over 100.4 I am to go to the ER. Otherwise I was given no other instructions.

GRZ7279, well the rash isn't really clearing up, it just doesn't itch if I soak my feet in vinegar water, dry and put on lotion. All the spots on the right foot are still there, plus some new ones. And there are actually new red spots on my other foot today. I just need it to not get worse. Thanks so much for your list of foods. I've got to shape up my eating. So did much better today, your salmon lunch made me want and get some sea bass for dinner. I need to get the 2 books you recommended.

• AMG2
    AMG2 Member Posts: 90
    Options

gamzu, it will very likely be fine. I had a few bad reactions to taxol, and I'm still on it, with #8 coming up on Wed. Here's what happened for me:

First infusion, I was given both benadryl and dexamethasone, and I had an anaphylactic reaction. They stopped the infusion, called the doc, gave me more dexamethasone and more benadryl iv, started it up again, and I had another reaction, so they stopped it again, called the doctor, and slowed the infusion down, and that did the trick.

Second infusion, dexamethasone only, full speed, no problem. 3rd or 4th infusion, I can't remember which, dexamethasone only, anaphylaxis, toward the end, they just stopped the infusion and didn't finish it. I've been doing dexamethasone and benadryl ever since, and have had no problems.

That first one is scary as hell, and I'm so sorry, but it's very likely going to be ok.

• GRZ7279
    Options

Faith over fear, your nurse sounds like my sister. She's a hospice nurse and her emotional intelligence is through the roof. So glad you got one of those. They are special people.

Oldladyblue, I am so sorry this rash is still bugging you. I hope they figure it out soon. If your blood counts are a little low, maybe ask about the injections. I am on filgrastim. For seven days of each cycle, my husband gives me a shot each night, which is no big deal. He injects it into my belly and it doesn't hurt much at all. I didn't really notice any side effects from it. I'll see tomorrow if it worked. You and I are on different regimens, but every woman in my chemo class was given these and none of us were on the same treatment plan.

Pretty good day for me today. We celebrated my dad's birthday because his actual birthday was the day I had my first infusion. Can't be around too many people, so it was just local family, but I had a great time making enchiladas with my children and their cousins. I am feeling great now, so I think I will make this a routine. The weekend before each infusion, I will plan to take off work and do something fun to celebrate making it through another cycle. I start again on Wednesday, so for the next one I will focus on looking forward to Halloween. The historic district in our town goes all out for Halloween. It's a blast walking around and checking out the decorations on these old Victorian homes, which is why my kids have no intention of giving up trick or treating anytime soon. That's what I will hold onto this week to help me tackle treatment #2.

• LizzyLizzy
    LizzyLizzy Member Posts: 8
    Options

Heading to my 3rd infusion today. Side effects have been mild this week but am sure to eat only bland foods, rest when I need to and drink plenty of water. My hair started to shed quite a bit as of last night so I’m trying to deal with my feelings about that.

• oldladyblue
    Options

LizzyLizzy I hope your infusion goes well today and that you don't get depressed over the hair loss. I'm sure I will when it starts happening. I've battled getting my hair to where I like it for decades. Finally cut and color is great. And now I'm going to go bald. Ugh.

GRZ7279 Oh, chemo class? I never had anything like that. I will ask when I talk to the nurse on Friday what exactly is their protocol at the VA re the shots. Thanks for telling me. Rash finally settling down, but I am taking benedryl daily now. At least the itch is gone if not the red marks.

• Noodlesg
    Noodlesg Member Posts: 33
    Options

Hello ladies, hope everyone is doing okay? I've had a bit of a tough time the last few days. Towards the end of last week, I started to have what I would guess was early onset neuropathy 4 days after my second infusion. Nothing earth shattering, but I did bring my cold socks and gloves for my 3rd infusion yesterday, which seem to have helped loads. My oncologist gave some vitamin B to help mitigate the effects. My hair also started to shed, little bits over the weekend, and today it is raining hair at my house. I think I'll have my shave soon, and it's a bit of a hard pill to swallow. I'm trying to stay positive though, my husband said 'if it's doing this to your hair, it's doing same to those cancer cells.' My response was that it sure better be!! On a brighter note, I am 25% done with Taxol as of yesterday, and I have had no nausea and my energy level is not too bad!

GRZ7279 So glad you had a great time horse back riding! My little one started lunge lessons and I do go to the stables with him on occasion. Horse are so therapeudic. I hope you get to do this often :) Also wanted to thank you for sharing the cookbooks, I have a hard time with foods. I've always eaten what I wanted, and making this huge swing to all things healthy is a bit of an adjustment. Green smoothie, green soup...yikes!

oldladyblue My bloodwork was a bit low yesterday as well. Both red and white blood count, although neutrophils specifically was okay. My doctor said it was okay to still proceed, but now I'm a bit nervous to go out anywhere and catching something.

LizzyLizzy I hear you! I'm in the same boat, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone :) You're beautiful no matter what! Let us know how your infusion went.

Faith-over-fear Farmer markets sounds so lovely. I'm planning on going to a flower park tomorrow for a stroll, I'd be glad if I do an hr walk,too.

Have a good day everyone

• oldladyblue
    Options

Hello to my soul support lady friends! I am so happy to come here and see what has been posted. The comfort is real. I am feeling totally "normal" now, and my 2nd infusion isn't till next Friday. I'm super glad the side effects seem to be gone. I was sooooo scared, but chemo side effects are manageable, way more than I thought they would be. I am hoping you are all doing well, or that your medical team can help you with any side effects. My nurse said call her for "any" reason, which made me feel less like a wimp for complaining to her.

Wish I could go to a flower park with you Noodlesg . I love flowers and butterflies and rainbows. They cheer me up.

• gamzu710
    gamzu710 Member Posts: 203
    Options

T-minus one day. I'm trying to follow the tips here to drink a ton of water. To my massive annoyance, the nurse for my egg retrieval blew a vein in my arm with the IV last week; I don't have a port and I've been told my veins are good but I don't want any of them wasted, particularly on stuff that doesn't really matter! Hopefully it will heal soon.