Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo October 2021

Options

Comments

• Tsohl
    Tsohl Member Posts: 24
    Options

I got a Pfizer booster on Friday, Nov 12th. I had my 4th AC infusion the following Monday, Nov 15th.

I had zero side effects, not even a sore arm. I was advised to get the booster as close to the end of a cycle as possible

• Elliotu
    Elliotu Member Posts: 1
    Options

I am starting CT (no adriamycin because of my age). neulasta too. I was diagnosed in August and Dec they are starting chemo. I hope I am not too late. had mastectomy in Oct

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    Options

I am so sorry you feel depressed ELLE2, but I sure can understand. Going through this scary cancer stuff twice, oh gosh. It's hard enough for me to keep myself up, and this is the first big health scare I've had. I was allergic to horses as a child, and my family couldn't have afforded anything except a few trail rides (which I did, and then suffered from asthma afterwards for 2 hours). They are such beautiful animals. I'm glad you had the time you had. My hobbies are gardening and ceramics and I've basically lost all interest in them since June. Hopefully hobby interest will return next year.

My weekly bloodwork is tomorrow FAITHOVERFEAR, been doing the neupgin shot all week, no rash, no energy, no brainpower, no motivation, and tonight my temp is up to 99.1 which isn't high, but it's been subnormal all week. I hope I don't have it go higher like last time and end up in the hospital again.

I haven't had glucose problems, just high blood pressure and low white blood cells GAMZU710.. Thankfully I've had a normal "feeling" week, nothing outstanding bothering me. Will be a week after #3 infusion tomorrow. I'll be so glad to get done with #4 next month.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I booked myself a celebration cruise for next year with my sister and my daughter. Good prices going on right now.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,980
    Options

Elliotu, no, not too late. Sounds like you are in good hands. If you would like to join our

Tuesday group at 1pm , ET for people going through treatment, pleas join us. You'd have to register first here: https://breastcancer-org.zoom.us/meeting/register/...

We're here for you for whatever you'll need!

• oldladyblue
    Options

Hi ELLIOTU, welcome to this thread. It is great to come here and share with women who are going through this battle against cancer. It has helped me emotionally very greatly to check in pretty much daily.

Glad you got your booster TSOHL

• oldladyblue
    Options

Oh gosh, I guess hell week is over now (took 10 days). I feel better finally. Eating like a pig. No indigestion no matter what I eat right now. Woohoo! I even had some coffee and a bit of chocolate.

• GRZ7279
    GRZ7279 Member Posts: 30
    Options

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't posted lately. I had my last AC infusion and hell week (or 10 days) is finally over for me too! The nurses tell me that the taxol alone won't make me nauseous, so I am celebrating saying goodbye to constant tummy troubles (hopefully). The last one knocked me out a lot more than the others did, but all's well that ends well.

I did have the family over for Thanksgiving, which was risky. My sister's family all got tested the day after they arrived, but managed to give my daughters colds anyway. Now half the family is down with it, but by some miracle I haven't caught it yet. Wearing a mask 24/7. It was great to see everyone for Thanksgiving, but the food was very disappointing. My mom and sister made all of my favorites and figured out how to do everything sugar free without sacrificing a bit of the taste, but I only know that because that's what everyone said. It all tasted like cardboard to me. I still ate a full plate, but lost another pound the day after anyway.

Elle2, we are also big travelers, which I really miss. My sons are on the national table tennis team, so a normal year for us involves following them around the world and exploring the places they are competing in. In 2019, my oldest circumnavigated the globe three and a half times! Covid killed all of that. Both boys have decided to quit international competition because it wasn't fun anymore with the constant cancellations. Plus, they realized how much other stuff they were missing out on once they were forced to take a break from their brutal practice schedules. Still, we figured we could resume traveling this year and start going places just for fun. Then breast cancer happened, so that's not happening either. My coping mechanism for that one is to focus my wander lust more locally, which honestly has been nice. I never have the energy to go for more than a couple of days, anyhow, but there are lots of incredible places close to home that I have never explored. This last weekend we drove down Hwy 1, California's coastal highway. We took our poodle to Carmel, the nation's most dog friendly town, and watched him frolic on a beach that is essentially a giant dog park. We did short hikes to beautiful isolated coves and played some more with our dog. Pretty sure it was his favorite vacation ever. So short, outdoor vacations nearby are still possible and help a lot to relieve the travel ache. I'm grateful that I live where I do at the moment.

Now that my family have all left, I am trying to catch up on work and prepare to start the taxol infusions this Wednesday. Hoping, hoping, hoping that the nurses are right and it will be easier than the AC was. Hope everyone was able to enjoy the holiday!

• oldladyblue
    Options

Hi GRZ7279, I am very glad you are feeling better, and I truly hope you don't catch the cold everyone is sharing. I have one more TC to go, on Dec 10th, so figure hell week will become hell 2 weeks that last one, but I know I can make it through. I hope the Taxol is easier on you too. Wow, your boys sure had an interesting life with the tournament scene, but I can imagine the schedule was brutal. Good for you going on short outside trips nearby! I need to do that here more often too.

• CMR79
    CMR79 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi All!

Just found this thread and I have finished my 4th round of AC and start 1 of 12 taxol this Friday, then radiation and hormone therapy. The 3rd and 4th rounds of AC kicked me in the butt so hoping taxol will be easier. Main side effects from last two rounds were fatigue, loss of appetite which makes it hard to stay hydrated, and diarrhea. Then I blacked out for a few seconds last week when I got up and felt dizzy and ringing in my ears but husband was there to sit me down and didn’t fall. I’m not working right now because I tried to go back for two weeks and the stress of work was too much but thinking about going back in January.

I have two boys 17 and 13, and my caregiver, my husband of 19 years. My heart hurts for him because he lost his mom to lung cancer (never smoked)last Dec and he helped take care of her. We had her memorial this summer with some closure then came home to my diagnoses.

I’m happy to find this group to help my spirits and help each other through chemo. Thanks for reading my long thread :

• oldladyblue
    Options

Hi CMR79, and welcome to this thread. I am sorry for your struggles, totally understand the debilitating side effects (oh, the memories of "normal" life with no weird daily issues like skin, mouth, digestion, dehydration). Gosh, I'm sorry your husband is now your caregiver, after losing his mother to lung cancer last year, but I am glad you have him. Sometimes life is cruel. Thankfully there are lots of bright spots too.

For sure, feel free to come and post anytime you need to, no limit on length. I come to this site every day, as reading and commenting has helped keep me on an even keel emotionally. Even at night when I lie in bed and question "Why me?" I can balance out the fear and depression thanks to all the kind members here.

I am having some good days now, till Dec 10th which is my last TC infusion, and will probably kick my butt based on what #2 and #3 did to me. So I aim to enjoy these next 9 days of feeling somewhat normal.

• CMR79
    Options

Hi Oldladyblue!

I had my first taxol treatment on Friday. They gave me Benadryl which made me sleepy and came home afterwards and slept for a few hours and then felt good the rest of the day. Feeling much different then on AC. I bet you are looking forward to your last treatment of TC, what do you have next?

• GRZ7279
    Options

Welcome CMR79,

We have a lot in common. I also just finished AC and had my first taxol treatment last Wednesday. My husband lost his father to kidney cancer and my mom lost her mother a month before my diagnosis, so my first reaction to discovering that I have cancer was to be the person who is reassuring everyone else. It makes me very grateful for this group where I don't always have to diminish the challenges.

We have four kids. My oldest will be 18 tomorrow. I also have a 16 year old and 13 year old twins. It's a lot to be present as a mom when you feel crummy all the time, but I am grateful that they are no longer little. My oldest is helping more and more with all the driving.

I am hopeful that the taxol will be a little better. The nausea seems to have gone, although the lack of appetite and general crummy feeling hasn't. I think I will bring a laptop to watch Netflix for the next infusion, because I can't do anything while icing and that was torture. I don't see any signs that cardio is going to get any easier. If anything, I am getting short of breath even faster this week. I am grateful to be done with all the extra meds, though. Only 11 more weeks to go!

Oldladyblue- congrats on getting so close to the end! I know another hell week is no fun, but this time at least you'll know it's the last time you ever have to do it!

Wishing everyone some relief from symptoms this week.

All the best

• oldladyblue
    Options

Hi CMR79. Yes, the Benedryl makes me sleep too. Glad you felt good after you woke up from your nap. Maybe the Taxol will be easier for you. I actually like the sleepiness from Benedryl as normally I have trouble sleeping. I take Benedryl pretty much daily for the first week after my infusion as I have always gotten a weird spreading itchy rash a day or so after chemo, and it helps keep the rash down. I am also on a antibiotic for rash prevention now. My primary care sent me a to a dermatologist who said the rash IS chemo related rash. Weirdly enough, my chemo nurse told me Friday during blood draw from my port that the hema/onco doc still says my rash ISN'T chemo related. It's like the chemo nurses and doctor don't believe me. Even now the rash isn't fully gone on my right foot from 3rd chemo. After this last chemo on Dec 10th, I have radiation starting Jan 10th for 16 visits, and hormone therapy will start too.

GRZ7279 I think you are very strong and brave. I can't imagine having chemo while also raising teenagers, trying to keep exercising, comforting others, and battling side effects like you are doing. I can definitely do my own hell week next week as my life is very easy compared to yours. You go woman!

• Noodlesg
    Noodlesg Member Posts: 33
    Options

Hello lovely ladies,

Sorry I've been absent these past couple of weeks. Things have been a bit busy here, but sadly chemo side effects keep on getting worse, so all my energy is spent by the end of the day. I've just finished Taxol #10, it's a bit surreal that I'm in the double digits now. Only 2 more to go, but I follow Taxol with AC, so I have quite a bit of anxiety about that. Trying to read up and get myself ready. Can one ever be ready of any of this though? Sigh. My taste buds are still kinda wonky, Taxol has gifted me with bitter and sour (yay). Neuropathy has gotten a bit worse every week, but it's not anything I can't tolerate. My onco always asks if I can still button my shirt (I can), it seems to be her benchmark for neuropathy. I have been given vitamin B for it, but honestly I feel that the dexamethasone helps the most. I am also a little more tired every week. Walks are harder to do but I still do them.

A very belated thank you ELLE2 for suggesting biotene. I had been using the mouthwash, but with your advice, I also purchased the lozenges, too. So far, with religious rinsing, I've managed to keep mouth sores away (I hope I don't jinx it).

I had a visit to the ER last week, tripped and stubbed my big toe on a marble stair, and detached about 80% of the nail. I was surprisingly calm (my husband wasn't), kinda comical to think about it after. Hahah. Had to take course of antibiotics, and other than the fact that the pain stops me from walking too long, it really was not that bad.

We had a lovely Thanksgiving. We kept it small, just 2 families and the kids had a lot of fun. Sadly, I couldn't taste anything, and my favorite pumpkin pie was just bitter. That's not what matters though, so am okay with that. Now gearing up and planning Christmas! Will be another small celebration as it was for Thanksgiving.

I also had my covid booster, a week ago. I was expecting fever and aches, but surprisingly, all I felt was mild arm sore. I guess pfizer had decided to gift this to me, since cancer hasn't.

GRZ7279 - I hope you feel better on Taxol. I didn't have nausea until infusion no 9, and even then it was mild. Have then given you meds for it?

oldladyblue - Your last infusion is coming soon!! So excited for you. On Dec 10, I will imagine you ringing the bell and will be clapping for you!

Wishing everyone a side effect free day. Sending lots of love and light.

• Faith-over-fear
    Faith-over-fear Member Posts: 28
    Options

nice to hear where everyone is at. We are getting closer ladies:) my 3rd infusion really weakened me and energy stayed pretty low. High heart rate too. Anyone experience this? My last one is tomorrow. Wasnt sure it would happen, wbc dropped pretty low, but thankfully went up some last lab. Beyond excited to keep this journey moving forward.

• oldladyblue
    Options

Hello NOODLESG and FAITH-OVER-FEAR !! Nice to hear from you. I had a hard time with #3 too, kept me in the dumps for 2 weeks, just felt pretty great the last 4 days. Yes, last infusion for you tomorrow FAITH! Woohoo! Yes, my heart rate has been up too since #3. My labs are good and my #4 infusion is Friday a.m. Last one, thank goodness. I'm not looking forward to side effects for 2 weeks, right up to Christmas, but knowing there won't be more chemo after that is great.

• GRZ7279
    Options

So glad to see that some of you are nearing the end. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, Faith-over-fear. You've got this!

Noodlesg, I can really relate to the anxiety around switching meds. That's where I'm at now and it's no fun. Last week really was the hardest so far for me, but that may also be because I'm still battling a cold and not very effectively. It really scared me because I am just starting on the taxol and it's a long time to continue diminishing every week. However, my blood work showed that my hemoglobins actually held steady at 9.0 and the primary indicators that were wacky mostly just showed that I have an infection that my white blood cells aren't managing all that effectively, so that really is likely why I feel so bad. They haven't given me anything for nausea with the taxol, but I'm not really nauseous anymore. Just have no appetite and can't taste anything right.

Some of the women in my current support group who are further along in this process also really helped by pointing out that they felt the lowest in the transition period because your body still hasn't recovered from the first medication before you go on to the second one, so in the beginning you're really dealing with both together. They assured me that it will get easier as I move through the taxol and the AC finishes working through my system. It was especially comforting to hear that their hemoglobins did start moving up long before they finished the taxol.

For the AC, the primary problem is the relentless nausea and the anemia. I would describe it like constant morning sickness. I usually got some relief from it near the end of the cycle. With each cycle it lasted a little longer. After the first cycle, it fully went away by day 9 and the fourth cycle it wasn't until day 13. Please, please ask them for fosaprepitant. They infuse it before they start infusing the AC. It's the only anti-nausea drug they gave me that really worked. As a result of that, the nausea didn't really hit me until day 4. They also gave me Xarxio injections, which I had to self administer from day 3 to day 9 of each cycle. Those were very effective in preventing my white blood cells from crashing too much. I remained on the very low side of normal throughout. For the anemia, you can ask for a blood transfusion if it gets too bad. Mine isn't quite there yet, and now I'm hopeful that it might not get there.

As far as coping, I slept a lot the first three days. I learned to go straight home to bed after the infusions because dizziness and vision problems were a side effect of all the meds they gave me. I get my infusions on Wednesdays, so I would usually take off from work for the rest of the week and was then able to go back in on Mondays. By Monday, I was generally basically functional again and mostly just putting up with the low-grade nausea because the meds made me constipated and sleepy all the time, which was worse than being functional and somewhat nauseous. Since you have already been hammered with taxol first, you're likely to experience more fatigue than I did because of the accumulation of side effects. I'm afraid the taste changes aren't likely to get any better. The AC did the same thing to my tastebuds, but I've been assured that will resolve itself pretty quickly after we are all finished. AC doesn't cause neuropathy and I never really had any skin issues on it, either. My nails remained fine as well.

For the neuropathy, have you seen an acupuncturist? Even my onco (who generally considers alternative medicine to be voodoo) promotes acupuncture as a treatment for neuropathy once you already have it, although she doesn't believe it does anything to prevent it. I figure it can't hurt, so I'm trying it anyhow.

Got my second taxol infusion today and finally had an appointment with an oncological naturopath. She prescribed zinc carnosene to help with the taste problems. I'll let you all know if it works. Also suggested a daily protein shake (with no sugar pea protein- Vega One is a good brand) to help slow down the weight loss. As of today, I've lost 15 pounds since I started. I've even gone back to eating fast food on occasion to try to gain some pounds, but that doesn't seem to be working either, and isn't particularly healthy. Since all food pretty much tastes like garbage to me, I might as well eat healthy.

Oldladyblue- you are very sweet with the compliments. However, raising my kids is honestly a wonderful gift that is far more helpful with my treatment than a burden. It would be really hard if they were littler. But now they are old enough that I can disappear into my room for some peace and quiet if I need to and they won't bother me. They are also wonderfully distracting. They are the only people I know who don't constantly ask me about my health and generally treat me like a normal person. It's honestly a huge relief to spend a good chunk of the day talking about theater, middle-school social dramas, my sons' latest tournament matches, horseback riding, college applications, school work, board games, and the girls' newest gymnastics moves. Since I can be supremely selfish right now, I let my husband do 100% of the arguing over screen time and housework, which virtually eliminates the stress associated with parenting teens. I truly don't care what my house looks like right now. Also, the gift of being able to see my kids every day is a constant motivator since the opportunity to meet my grandkids someday really is the reason I choose to keep showing up for each treatment no matter what. My only honest complaint about raising kids through this is that they gave me a darned cold, which certainly wasn't on purpose. So, the gift of being around youth is my silver lining thought of the day.

Love and best wishes to all this week,

Genesta

• Faith-over-fear
    Faith-over-fear Member Posts: 28
    Options

quick question. At meeting this morning with ono, he mentioned immunotherapy after chemo. First time ever mentioned. Kind of through me for a loop. I had masectomy, with clear margins, no lymoh node involvement, braca negative and stage 2. He said i am ned. Dont understand, other than i am TNBC and chances of recurrance higher. Any one going this path? Thanks all. Wishing everyone a wonderful day. Jackie

• CMR79
    Options

oldladyblue- so far no rashes for me, did you get Benadryl with all taxol transfusions? I go for my second one tomorrow so I’ll ask too.

With taxol, which I get on Fridays, I find that I have muscle aches through Monday, anyone else experience these aches? I’ve been taking Motrin. Also, how has chemo effected your menstrual cycles? I missed last month but started this month. Normally, I have heavy cycles with cramps but this time, much lighter but longer (going on week now) and no cramps. Of course, I start to worry if there is more to it..will talk to dr tomorrow too. I was thinking since I missed last month that I would miss until off chemo

• oldladyblue
    Options

Hi ladies, Glad to hear from you all. The camaraderie of our little "club" helps me face down the bad dreams!

FAITH-OVER- sorry you were hit with a new thing to talk about, the immunotherapy. I know nothing, but I definitely feel for you being blindsided with something you weren't expecting to have to decide about today. Sigh, another thing for you to research.

CMR79 - I am on TC infusions Taxotere and Cytoxan. (not taxol). But, yes, I get like 12 pills before infusions: benedryl and steroids are always included to help with side effects.

GRZ7279 - Well I do think that you are doing really well with all you are juggling in your life. Your description of your kids treating you as "normal" is just lovely. Made me smile. I love my protein shakes, but all my life I've choked down some pretty nasty vitamin concoctions even chewing up multivites for "better assimilation" per my nutritionist. I've been missing all that, since my oncologist told me to stop all supplements except protein powder, simple multivitamin, and vitamin C. But those awful things I used to choke down make it OK for me to keep eating food even with a plain, bitter or metallic taste while my mouth is doing weird things right after infusions. I hope you can gain some weight.

NOODLES - I have Biotene moistening mouthwash and spray, and love them. Along with baking soda water rinses, they have healed up my tongue and mouth since last infusion. Will keep using them after this last infusion tomorrow.

I think that perhaps the TC routine has been easier overall than the AC routine most of you are on, for sure there are less treatments. Perhaps there were less side effects, although we are all suffering in our ways. Here's hoping the good days are here soon for all of us.

• ashbenderantsy
    ashbenderantsy Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi All! I started chemo in October, so I've loved seeing where everyone is in this crazy journey!

I am triple negative, so my chemotherapy regimen is carbo/taxol/keytruda for 12 weeks (taxol is weekly; keytruda and carboplatin are every 3 weeks) and then 12 weeks of A/C with keytruda.

Friday is infusion day, and today was my eighth dose of taxol. I've been having slight issues with neuropathy in my dominant hand; it's hard for me to keep the cold gloves on at the same time that I have the cold booties and the cold cap! My infusion center initially let me bring in an electric blanket and heating pad, but my wattage with the cold cap machines was overloading the circuits....I was the girl who shut down the dignicap machines! But without that extra heat, I am extra miserably cold! I tried taking ativan, which previously calmed me down, but today it didn't work. Fortunately, taxol only is a short infusion. I don't know what I'm going to do for my last carbo/keytruda/taxol day. Let me know if y'all have any ideas!

FAITH-OVER (love the name, BTW): the FDA approved keytruda immunotherapy for triple-negative breast cancer in July of this year. Maybe you were diagnosed a bit before the approval, so your oncologist is adding it now - ??? (As my breast surgeon told me, I'm soooooo lucky to get to have keytruda...well except for the fact that I have breast cancer!)

• oldladyblue
    Options

Just wanted to say welcome to the thread ASHBENDERANTSY ! Glad you found us. I can't help with your questions though. :-)

• elle2
    elle2 Member Posts: 57
    Options

Hi there! I’m so glad to hear that everyone is moving along and staying in touch! It’s nice to check in and catch up on the chatter. Looks like several of us had infusions today. Hope everyone is feeling well.

Welcome to the new people who found their way to this website and page. I’m sorry for the dx that got you here, but I hope that you find the answers and friendship you seek.

I’ll keep this sort tonight since I had my AC#3 today and I’m tired. More out of it than last week, but hoping the reactions are similar if not better. I had a week delay because my WBC count didn’t rise back up in time on Monday. So we gave it a few more days and got the range we needed for the infusion. I’m happy because I didn’t want to feel bad for Christmas and I shouldn’t. 🤞🏽

I started developing black discoloration of my nails from the first AC dose. Nurses said to keep them hydrated with cuticle oil. I’ve been doing so, but still am concerned. After a little research, I discovered PolyBalm, a balm you massage into your cuticles to keep the nail bed hydrated. It was developed in the UK and a study was conducted using chemo patients and showing promising use in protecting the nails. They have a US store and I purchased some to try. I’ll let you know my results, but I wanted to provide some info and their clinical study results to anyone else who might be interested.

https://polybalm.com/

https://polybalm.com/the-poly-balm-study/

• Noodlesg
    Options

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all having a nice weekend. Nice to hear from everyone.

GRZ7279 - Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your thoughts and fears during the transition period, and also recommendations/experience on AC. It's so helpful. I have made a list of questions for my onco, one of which will be if she will give me fosaprepitant. I know that AC is supposed to be harder on your body than Taxol, but seeing your post really puts things in perspective. I share exactly the same fears, each week my blood work is just a tad worse than the week before, I'm not so sure my body can take all of this. Specifically RBC for me has been low, just below normal, so of course it is highlighted in red, which bugs me (probably from school days, I can't handle seeing anything in red). Sometimes I wonder if I should ask for a few more days break, but I'm scared that it will make chemo less effective.

I hope you are feeling better on Taxol, glad the nausea is gone. I actually had days when I really had a huge appetite, but it was driven by steroids. I was initially prescribed dexamethasone on days 2 & 3, and then the day right before infusion. On those days, I had extreme thirst, awful water retention (reminds me of when I was pregnant), and was really hungry. I was so hungry I ate a lot even if I couldn't taste anything. My weight has more or less remained stable, I gained 1-2 lbs, but my onco says that's water retention. I since have stopped steroids on days 2&3, and I get a bit of flushing on those days. I'd rather live with that and be on steroids. I know you have mentioned that the weight loss really bothered you, and I hope you gain some healthy weight soon.

I have not looked into acupuncture at all, I'm not very familiar with it. But since I have a list full of questions for my dr next week, I will ask her about it. I also will have to take injections during AC, mine will be pegfilgastim, am guessing it's similar to Xarxio. Did you have any bone aches on these? Some of the other ladies on this forum shared that clarytin was very effective in preventing these aches, I've stocked up just in case.

Faith-over-fear - I haven't been told much about immunotherapy, although I did ask about it during the first few appointments after my diagnosis. If I recall, my doctor said that basis my hormone receptor results (I am ER+/PR+/HER2-) I would not be a candidate for immunotherapy. I'm guessing it has to do with your hormone receptor results as well?

ashbenderantsy - My onco nurse has always told me to wear surgical gloves super thin socks inside cryotherapy gloves and booties. I still struggle with the cold, sometimes I have to take my hands and feet out for a minute or so. I can't imagine doing this with the cold cap, too. You are one brave lady.

oldladyblue - How are you feeling post infusion?

CMR79 - I think I am officially in chemopause. My period came 1 week early after my first Taxol. It lasted longer than normal (8 days) and flow was VERY heavy. Since then, nada.

Take care everyone!!

• oldladyblue
    Options

Hi all, Just wanted to check in for moral support and let you know that my last infusion went well, neuropathy in hands and feet (tingles) no real problems with digestion yet, steroids still making me buzz. Gave myself the first of 7 filbrastin shots to keep WBC count up, worked last time really well to take them with benedryl and tylenol at bedtime, so no bone pain. Rash not coming back yet, maybe it won't with the antibiotics I am on. Got sunburned on my face just going out in the driveway to get an estimate from a paver contractor, they weren't kidding when they told me to be careful to get no sun. So overall, not too bad.

Hope you all have a good day!

• GRZ7279
    Options

Hello all,

Good to see that everyone is moving along right now. I am so happy for those who are already finished. For me, I am celebrating reaching the halfway mark. I've come this far, so I can do it again! I'm finally getting over my cold, which makes everything seem much more tolerable. Being sick on top of everything else really sucked.

Noodlesg- I can so relate to your sentence: "Sometimes I wonder if I should ask for a few more days break, but I'm scared that it will make chemo less effective." That is EXACTLY the way I felt transitioning from AC to taxol. I really needed more of a break after the AC, especially because I was also struggling with a cold, but I'm afraid to ask for one because I chose this treatment and this dose schedule because it's supposed to be the most effective and I'm still more scared of screwing that up than I am of dealing with the side effects.

My RBC counts have been down since the beginning as well, as has the hemoglobin. Between the first and second taxol treatment they stayed a little more stable, though, so I'm hoping the RBC freefall might at least slow down so I can get through the rest of this without needing a blood transfusion.

Xarxio is a brand name for filgastrim. Another one is Neulasta. I think it's basically all the same stuff, just different drug companies. They did tell me that bone aches were a possibility, but I never had any trouble with it. I did feel like it made me even more nauseous, so I preferred to do the injections right before bed when I wouldn't really notice the extra tummy upset.

They aren't giving me nearly as many steroids with the taxol. I only take 3 pills the day of the infusion. Perhaps because of that, I'm certainly not experiencing a lot of hunger. I've learned that feeling nauseous is my body's new way of telling me I'm hungry. If I eat often, my stomach feels fine. I am doing a bit better this week with the weight problem. I think I will finally weigh in about the same as I was last week when I go in Wednesday. Making a protein shake every day that I see my weight drop seems to help keep things stable. Also, the zinc carbonate does seem to be helping with the taste problems. I've been taking that for all of three days and today I noticed that food is starting to taste a little more normal. Water tastes better today, also, which makes it easier to drink a lot of it. The only other real challenge I'm dealing with is the fatigue. I have the most energy the day after the infusion (probably because of the steroid buzz). But the rest of the time, I'm sleeping about 12 hours a night and still taking a nap almost every day.

The other odd symptom I've had since starting the taxol is that the skin on my feet keeps peeling off. Today, I felt like there was a bandage or something on my heel. When I took my sock off, a huge, thick piece of skin was just dangling. I took off practically the whole heel. There are also a bunch of patches all around my big toes that have simply peeled right off. It doesn't hurt or really bother me that much, but it is very odd.

CMR79- I had my last period the day I had my first chemo infusion on October 6. That one was pretty normal, but I haven't had any signs of anything starting since then. I'm not really having menopause symptoms, either. I'm hoping that means that hot flashes and such just won't be the way by body responds to menopause. My aunt never had them, but they were terrible for my mom.

oldladyblue- I hope your WBC holds steady this time. So glad to hear those rashes aren't bothering you again. Those did not sound fun!

ashbenderantsy welcome to the thread. I agree with Noodlesg. I have no idea how you tolerate the cold capping on top of icing the hands and feet. I took a movie to watch during my last infusion, but I was still checking the clock every 3 minutes. The icing makes me absolutely crazy! Then my hands still hurt for a whole day afterwards. Seriously, the infusion itself is the worst part of the taxol so far. I'm cold-blooded by nature. I don't swim because I can't stand cold water, and I moved to California so I never have to experience winter. So, to me, plunging my hands and feet into ice for an hour is absolute torture. I doubt I would have the courage to do it at all if I didn't live with a man who suffers from nerve pain in his feet. My husband is a tough, athletic guy, but when the nerve pain hits he literally can't get out of bed and can scream for hours on end. It's awful. So I'm scared enough of the neuropathy to keep my poor hands in those darned ice gloves for the entire hour. But you couldn't pay me enough to add ice to my head, too! You are very strong.

Elle2 I'm impressed you have the where with all to post on the day of an AC infusion! My vision was always a little strange on the days I received infusions and I was so tired that I couldn't stay awake for more than about half an hour at a time. I would mostly just lie on the couch and try to carry on conversations with my family, but I wasn't even very good at that. People had to repeat everything because I had a hard time concentrating.

Hope everyone has a great week and good luck with the next round!

• oldladyblue
    Options

Hi all, I hope things are going well for each of you.

I learned that not taking my benadryl and tylenol with the filgastrim shot at bedtime was a big mistake. I forgot the "side effect pills" and suffered greatly at 2 a.m. that night, waking up with with side effects from the white blood cell building shot, even though I'd had no side effects at all the prior 4 days. I had a headache, lower back ache, and sternum ache along with high pulse and high blood pressure: bad enough to make me pack up to go to the emergency room wondering if I was having heart trouble. But because I took the benadryl and tylenol when I woke at 2 a.m. I got sleepy by 3:30 a.m. and went back to bed instead of driving to the hospital. I had those awful aches all day long, slightly wearing off by bedtime when I had to give myself the shot again (but this time with the benadryl and tylenol). Next day, voila, no side effects from the shot.

My last TC infusion chemo side effects are not too bad: again some neuropathy, indigestion, switching between diarrhea and constipation, out of breath easily, tired, fuzzy brain, fuzzy vision, and luckily foot rash not too bad (already going away).

GRZ7279 I have had weird peeling foot skin also. It doesn't hurt when it peels off. Just is a lot. I slather on aloe vera cream at night and wear socks to bed.

• GRZ7279
    Options

Ah, oldladyblue, so sorry you went through all of that, but glad you know how to prevent it for the future. For some reason, those shots never bothered me at all beyond making me a little more nauseous. You'll be done with the shots soon, right?

This week I have a warning to share with everyone. I managed to give myself frostbite with the icing. I was determined to ignore the pain and keep those darned ice gloves on for the entire hour, which I did, but now I am still in pain 3 days later. Which, of course, means that they may not let me keep icing at all for fear of causing further damage. So I'm worrying over how to avoid the neuropathy without causing serious problems from frostbite.

Another new and rather odd symptom this week is that the lower half of my face has gone numb. I can't feel the skin on my chin or upper lip. Since I am freezing cold all the time, I can't say that I mind much having at least one part of my body that doesn't really feel the cold, but the loss of sensation is rather strange.

The rest is normal. Mostly just fatigue and generally feeling crummy. All of this is getting old. 9 weeks to go.

• oldladyblue
    Options

Oh gosh GRZ7279, so sorry to hear about the frostbite. Ugh. I never did any type of cold gloves or socks or capping. But I was not on the same chemo drugs as you are. I have some neuropathy in my finger tips and feet, but not much more than tingling. I do hope it will decrease as times goes on. I wonder what is up with your face, that sounds worrisome.

I am done with the shots, and feeling better as each day comes now, 10 days since my last chemo infusion. I'm getting hungry now all the time, so am eating loads of food. Still can't do spicy or caffeine. I sure miss my morning coffee.

• Noodlesg
    Options

Hello ladies,

How have you all been? I've been okay considering. My 8 yr old caught a cold last week and was coughing left right center. We were really nervous that I would catch it, so there were a few days that I wore a mask at home. Funnily enough, before covid, masks were never a thing we had readily available in the medicine cabinet. Now we have a box full! Luckily I didn't catch it from him (either that or my immune system didn't tank enough and I was able to fight). Whatever it is, I'm grateful.

I'm happy to report that I finished my last Taxol!! Yay!!!! I will not miss going to the onco every week, and I'm preparing myself for my 4 infusions of AC, which I start right after Christmas. I'm noticeably more fatigued, and neuropathy has gotten worse. I'm now at a point where fingertips and toes are numb. My onco said that it will continue to get worse for a couple of months before it improves slowly, and can take up to 24 months for it to go away. She never delayed any infusions or reduce dosage for me, as she said my neuropathy didn't interfere with day to day functions. I'm happy I was able to do the full course. My bloodwork wasn't the best this week, ALT was 165 U/L, which is 4 times higher than max normal range. I've been given liver supplements. I am scheduled to start A/C next week, so I hope this won't delay it. I just want to get this over and done with.

GRZ7279 - How is your foot? That sounds a bit like hand foot syndrome? My skin is just generally dry and I've been moisturizing like mad. And your hands? How's the frostbite? Were you able to continue icing this week? For what it's worth, my neuropathy didn't really set in until infusion #8, before that it was sporadic and went away after a day or so.

oldladyblue - Congrats again on being done! Glad you're getting your appetite back, just in time for Christmas :) You're done with those shots?

Sending everyone here lots of positivity. Have a wonderful Christmas!! I can't wait for this year to be over!!