Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo November 2021

Options

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,997
    Options

Hi green804,

We're so very sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but we're really glad you've found us, welcome! We're sure you'll get lots of support here.

We would suggest you post your question also in the popular thread called Cold Caps Users Past and Present, to Save Hair. Members there have a ton of advice and experience on cold caps, which we're sure you can learn from!

Hope this helps. Keep us posted, and good luck with chemo tomorrow!

The Mods

• Mmcking3
    Mmcking3 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hi! I read quite a few threads on this site but have never posted. It REALLY helped me get thru chemo. I finished TCH last month but am still on the herceptin.
    J_bryant, your comment about feeling fuzzy and hyper sensitive is exactly how I felt. It felt like I’d been beat with phonebooks or hit by a bus and had a mild concussion.

A dear friend has TNBC, and sticks to a mostly Mediterranean diet. I having TPBC do something pretty similar. But your cancer center may have a nutritionist on staff. They’re very helpful! While on treatment I just ate whatever didn’t taste like cardboard and didn’t irritate my mouth sores. Smoothies were the easiest and quickest to make! I also had edibles to keep up my appetite. They were really a life saver.

• Roo73
    Roo73 Member Posts: 28
    Options

Welcome Mmcking and Green! I think Maddie is cold capping.

RE allergic reactions, I tried to stop the steroids for my weekly Taxol as it was making me permanently agitated, but I had an anaphylactic reaction (not too serious though). They tried another faster-acting steroid and it worked. So if anyone is having insomnia or other problems, ask them.

The intensive chemo sounds really really tough, especially the nausea, that's just miserable. Is the "tingling" sensation related to neuropathy? I have tingling that sometimes branches out into pain in fingers and toes, which is nerve damage (!) from the taxol. Also super-annoying tingling on my scalp. But what you're describing sounds a bit different. I sometimes feel like that when I getting sick, can't get comfortable. I've also been having flu-like symptoms on days 3 and 4, and they are a common SE of Taxol.

Something to look forward to when those of you on ACT move to the Taxol. The consensus is it's easier. I do have to say that the weekly visits are tiring and disruptive to work, though, and you go through the SE cycle weekly.

I went through the Big Shed this week and buzzed the remaining hair off last night. I was worried I'd break down but actually now I feel SO MUCH better. Free of that constant worry. Also, I told my colleagues about my cancer just to head off rumours and questions (since it's now obvious). Also my students. You know what? No one cares. They all have their own worries. The students looked at me like "Huh? OK.” I don't know what kind of reaction I was imagining, but people have other things on their minds beyond what I look like. This made it better, too.

Thanks to all you ladies too, this is a great thread.

• Mmcking3
    Options

I surprisingly never had an allergic reaction and as a kid was allergic to damn near everything. Even as an adult I have super sensitive skin. Which was definitely made worse by chemo. I also ended up with crazy sensitivity on my hands and feet to hot and cold. It didn’t last for ever just a few days after treatment but it was strange. The steroids gave me flush so I looked sunburned and they also made me retain an insane (I mean 12lbs) of fluid. Went from weighing 136 the day of treatment to 148 the day after when I went in for the bone hurty juice (nuelesta) to 132 the next day for hydration.

It’ll be over before you know it. Even though it certainly doesn’t feel that way in the moments of extreme discomfort.

• Maddie322
    Maddie322 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hi Mallow,

Sorry for my late response....had my first TC infusion 11/17 and the two days following weren't too bac, but it's been downhill ever since. I had no extra energy to post here.

I tried to reason with my oncologist about my 27 Oncoscore. What she told me was if i did not do chemo, there was a 16% chance that cancer could return within the next 9 years, somewhere else in my body. If that happened it would be metastic breast cancer, Stage 4. If I did 4 rounds of TC that recurrence percent would drom to 8%. Since my cancer was aggressive (grade 3 and KI67=67%) and after a lot of thought and reviewing my family history I decided on chemo. I just it were a little easier on me.

Have you made a decision yet? I'll be curious to know where you landed in your treatment.

• Maddie322
    Options

Hi Green,

Yes, I am cold capping. Only 8 days after first TC infusion, but so far I haven't lost anything. Could be too soon, but time will tell. I'll update my results as I go through the infustion. I'm using DigniCap. Good Luck!!

• Maddie322
    Options

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,

I was going to try to respond to everyone, but I don't quite have the energy to do so yet. I did my 1st TC infusion on 11/17. It went fine and I was SO thankful I had the port. Hardly felt a thing. The next two days were tolerable. I had some nausea, indigestion (controlled by Zofran once I got the timing down) and fatigue.

Friday early morning I thought I'd been run over by a train. Everything in my body hurt, bones/muscles, like when you have the flu, but times 10! And the fatigue was becoming debilitating. I finally emailed my doctor who said I could take Tylenol and Advil, alternating every 8 hours. It helped with the pain, but this fatigue is something I never felt before. There is no "pushing through it" like I am used to doing. So day 6 after the 1st infusion and I am still quite low on energy. Thankfully I have started to sleep better at night. Hoping to gain more energy as the days pass, and probably in time for my Dec. 8th infusion 2. And wondering, is it just me that is having so much fatigue I can't do anything?

A few things I learned - I am doing cold capping. It's called DigniCap. The cancer center has the equipment to cool the cap. I needed to purchase the cap and token for the machine. If I continue (I plan to), then I just purchase the token. The cap is placed on your head 30 prior to the beginning of the chemo drugs. And in my case, stays on for and additional 2 hours after the chemo has finished. For me, that was 6.5 hours. But, only the first 20 minutes are a brain freeze. Get past that and you'll be home free. I am only 8 days past my first infusion but I haven't lost any hair yet. My fingers are crossed.

Regarding neuropathy (tingling in hands and fingers after T) I had cotton gloves and cotton socks on. Then I held a frozen bottle of water in each hand (for lack of their normal procedure) and on each foot a bag of crushed ice was placed. I also chewed on a cup of ice chips during the T infusion. It was a cold hour for sure, but worth it. I felt a tingle or two after the infustion, but that's it. So far, no neuropathy or mouth sores.

I am also using TheraBreath each day and Biotene rinse, toothpaste and gel, as well. I'm staying hydrated and the other day added an electrolyte called Cure (curehydration.com also available on Amazon). It doesn't have a ton of sodium or other ingredients and I like the Berry Pomegranate). Even though I'm drinking enough water, adding this from time to time seems to help me feel better.

Okay I'm running out of energy so will end. Good luck to everyone. I am reading all of the posts and hopefully energy will begin to return and I can chime in more frequently.

• Roo73
    Options

Maddie, I'm so sorry to hear that the treatment is so rough on you. I have been getting flu-like symptoms days 3 and 4 but not even close to what you are describing. With extreme fatigue I don't think there is any “pushing through,” for anyone. It's not a matter of willpower. I had something like that once during an autoimmune flare-up and it felt exactly like a giant magnet pulling me downwards onto the nearest sofa. I hope you've got the support you need, and hope it continues to improve.

I initially logged on with a tip that I discovered today: do not spend half an hour arranging a beautiful head wrap over your newly bald head and go to work. You will not be able to put your mask on with the wrap in place if it's over your ears. I had to dismantle the whole thing and now am heading to another meeting wearing a lavender beanie with my nice black suit, looking like an idiot. Oh well. Hope my new hats arrive soon.

Best wishes to you all.

• Mmcking3
    Options

happy thanksgiving!

Maddie, sorry to hear about your side effects. The fatigue is undesirable. After the steroid days the following few were tough. I think after round 2 I ended up sleeping around sixteen hours a day for a few days. Eating was even exhausting. I’m 30 and was used to being able to do almost everything and that muscle weakness and fatigue had me holding onto furniture to make it to the bathroom. Rest is really important.

Had really bad nausea the first time as well and that’s when I took the advice of the ONC nurses and got ahead of it. I just took the nausea meds every 6 hours, by the fourth I had Ativan for the break thru nausea. It really helped.

Loved the biotene rinse I added some gel to my mouth guard at night as well that helped. Even found some lozenges from ACT at Walgreens for dry mouth that were a real life saver!

• nns121317
    nns121317 Member Posts: 110
    Options

I have my second AC infusion on Friday, and I'm already dreading it. Hopefully this time we can skip the Zofran and I'll be better off. I'm currently prescribed Compazine and Zyprexa for nausea, both of which are also used as psych meds. I don't think I love that.

I am super conflicted about my hair. I'm starting to shed, but I have soooo much hair nobody can tell but me. Its texture is awful, though, and my scalp is so sensitive I can't really stand to style or even comb/brush it. Should I just shave it? Would that feel better? I have hats and wigs ready to go, I'm just thinking anything would be better than this in-between.

I've lost six pounds since my first infusion. I'm surprised at that, despite the initial nausea I felt like I was eating normally by Thanksgiving. I do have to talk myself into three meals per day, and they're much smaller than I used to consume.

Hope everyone is having a great Monday!

• sarahe_butcher
    sarahe_butcher Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hello All!

I am sneaking in by a day! I start my chemo tomorrow. (TC + H) Getting to this point has been a weird experience of hurry up and waiting, mild panic and reassuring calmness, and a strange awareness on different aspects of life. (Existential Crisis perhaps...) I'm anxious and nervous, but feel prepared from all of the wonderful support and suggestions I've read through this page and on this site. I wish everyone the easiest of treatments where everything goes as smooth as silk, symptoms are none existent and the procedures are a breeze. You are all so brave and inspiring and thank you for being a place I know I will be able to draw strength and determination from. Let's rock this out!

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377
    Options

Hello Everyone, I will be starting AC X4, then Taxol X4 tomorrow. I did TC in 2017 tolerated that very well so I am hoping I can tolerate this regimen! We will see. As you can see this is my 3rd BC, in my right breast area. I feel fortunate that I have not had a metastatic event, I was sweating, waiting for my PET scan results.

Well I will come back after tomorrow's session. Hope all goes well for each and everyone of you!

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377
    Options

Hi, glad to see you tolerated AC well! Would you share with me the side effects you did have? I like to be prepared for what may come along! Smile

• dianap2
    dianap2 Member Posts: 3
    Options

hi there! I started chemo on Nov. 22, but just found this board. I go every three weeks for an infusion, 6 times. So I amonly beginning this long road. The first week after the infusion, I was in a foggy, fatigued state most of the time. The worst days were 6 and 7. Then I seemed to turn a corner on day 8, with a little more energy returning each day. The loss of taste and appetite has also been a struggle…have been experimenting with various foods and textures. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best wishes to all my fellow travelers out there!

• nns121317
    Options

AC round 2 today! I met with the MO yesterday, my labs were good, I've lost 9 pounds, and we discussed ways to control the side effects from last time. I'll take oral steroids for three days after the infusion, and try some different nausea meds.

I did end up shaving my head on Monday (Great Clips does it for free). My scalp feels MUCH better, no more pain. I wore a wig for an event on Tuesday, which was okay but I worried about it constantly. Otherwise, I'm going out in hats and fabulous earrings, and nobody has even really looked twice at my head. My hair is shedding, but it's manageable.

Hope everyone is hanging in there!

• Roo73
    Options

NNS, I haven't been on the boards for a few days, so sorry to reply just now. But yeah, I found the same thing with the hair, it was a relief to just do it. So much more comfortable, no more worry, no more watching it fall out piece by piece (and then chunk by chunk). With just the taxol, I've still got maybe 15-20% of it, but nowhere near enough to cover my head.

Can't remember if I said this or not but: no one batted an eyelash. They all had their own worries.

My main problem now is that I have no excuse to stay in the shower for more than a few minutes. Time and money saved on hair drying though.

I agree, big earrings are key.

9 pounds is a lot! I hope you can work something out with your MO so that you don't keep losing at that rate. I do find that I get full very quickly, and have lost a few pounds, but not that much. Maybe the steroids will give you the munchies? Not that that's much better.

How did it go today?

• Roo73
    Options

Hello Diana, OG56, Mommatoo! Welcome, and glad you made it in just under the wire.

I haven't checked back in a couple of days, because this week the SEs really started to kick in. It's the first week I've noticed I'm REALLY slowing down, eating a lot less, forgetting a lot more.

Mommatoo and OG56, how did it go? Mommatoo's description of the whole run-up to chemo really resonated with me. It took them soooo long to find everything and decide on a treatment plan. The only silver lining (?) I found was that, after all of that angst, starting chemo was a bit of a relief. How are you feeling?

OG56, were your two prior occurrences related, except that one was lobular and the other ductal? I've always wondered whether that's possible. It must be unbelievably frustrating to find yourself here again.

Diana, I don't suppose this will help answer your question, exactly, but I've had very little appetite except for these weird cravings for very bland things. Specifically oatmeal porridge and Cheerios (there's an oat theme here), neither of which I've eaten regularly since I was a kid. Very little else appeals. I hope someone else has a better idea than this…

Wishing a restful weekend for everyone.

• Maddie322
    Options

Hi Roo,

Like you I have been away for several days, This time because I have come down with a sinus/respiratory infection. I had a temperature over a few days which just wiped me out, and when it hit 100.9, my oncologist had me come in to do labs. Fortunately I did not have neutropenia which thankfully meant I did not have to take a trip to the emergency room. But my MO said to visit my primary care if symptoms got worse, and they did.

After process of elimination it was determined I did not have Covid, strep, or the flu, my primary care agreed that I had an upper respiratory/sinus infection. How, I wondered? I have onlybeen out of the house three times in three weeks each time to the infusion center or my oncologist.

So now I’m on 10 days of antibiotics, and I feel like crap. I have felt like crap for these last three weeks and I don’t know how I’m gonna make it through three more infusions.

My next infusion is Wednesday and needless to say I am not looking forward to it. I’m going to try to do as much preplanning regarding bone pain and be prepared for five or six days where I can’t lift my head off the pillow.

I’ve lost 8 pounds. The appetite just isn’t there and I’m leaning more toward small portions of bland foods. Saltines are my go to. I’m Italian and this is so unlike me. We live to eat! LOL

Roo, you mentioned having the SE’s. What is that?

As for my cold capping, I notice I’m starting to shed. today I could feel loose hairs on my arms. But I will say, it’s been limited I’m not sure if it’s too early in the game, but I hope not. I may buy a loose cap to wear to catch the hairs and possibly sleep in at nigh.

Diana, OG56, Mommatoo - welcome though sorry for the circumstances.

Good luck to everyone with their next infusions.

• Tsohl
    Tsohl Member Posts: 24
    Options

I haven't posted much but enjoy reading about all your experiences.

I finished my four AC treatments and had a breast MRI the week of Thanksgiving. Also developed a UTI and am finishing up antibiotics today.

Monday I began the first of 12 weekly Taxol infusions and got the results of the MRI which were very encouraging. The mass has shrunk and is no longer abutting the pectoralis muscle…so when I get around to having surgery, it should be a bit easier,so they tell me.

I'm finding taxol harder than AC. I'm having issues with low blood pressure which leave me feeling exhausted, short of breath, etc. Walking upstairs is almost more than I can handle. But at least I'm not the least bit nauseous or queasy for which I am very grateful. If I didn't feel so weak and tipsy, this wouldn't be too bad.

• dianap2
    Options

Thank Roo, for the suggestions! I am on day 12 of 21 day cycle, and food is starting to taste a little better. And in the meantime, I have found that seltzer water tastes better than tap, so that helps me stay hydrated. A friend suggested that if I can’t taste, then focus on foods with textures. So I’ve experimented with things like popcorn, nuts, crackers with cheese, noodle soup, crispy toast, biscotti, etc. That seems to help make eating a little more interesting and appetizing. Also for some reason, sharp cheeses taste good, so eggs with cheese, mac and cheese, etc, things I would not normally eat, but I’ve lost 7 pounds so I guess I can get away with it!

Energy level is much better now, so hoping it continues for another week before I go back for #2. I still have 5 more to go, three weeks apart, so appreciate all the different stories and perspectives here. Thanks to all for joining in the conversation. Hang in there!

• Roo73
    Options

Wow, Maddie, that's awful about the infection. I do think that when we're run down generally, that's when these nasty bugs get you. They are always out there, but normally our system fights them off. AND you went into this with the psychological shock of the diagnosis, surgery, like you said, everything happened so fast.

Are you able to just declare a 2-week hiatus, get into bed, and stay there, without feeling that you SHOULD be doing something? Because I think the thing right now is just to sit tight, wait until the infection clears up and the next round of SEs (side effects, I meant before) dies down, and you WILL feel better. It will not be this bad all the way along. I can't remember if you've got people who need looking after in the house. If so… any way to get help/have a frank talk with them/ship them off to a relative/etc. (depending on age!)?

It could well be that once you get out from under the psychological trauma/chemo/infection/holidays, things will fall into a manageable pattern.

I don't know a ton about cold capping, but if you aren't icing your arms (I suppose you're not), then it seems logical that those hairs might fall out, as they aren't protected from the "medicine".

Diana, you may be right about the texture! When you said that, I realized that what I really like about Cheerios is the feeling of the cute little round shape… Deep down, I'm just a toddler, it seems. Enjoy the excuse to eat as much mac and cheese as you really want to, for once in your life. The seltzer is a good idea, I'm going to give that a try.

Tsohl, it sounds like you've got an opportunistic infection too. Brilliant news about the MRI! So they will be able to remove the tumour without cutting into the chest wall? A lot of people find the Taxol easier—again, hopefully once your system recovers a bit from the AC and the UTI, you'll start feeling better. Are they giving you a new pre-med that could be causing the problem, or an interaction with the antibiotics?

I logged on to share a new game I've invented recently, called “Where is my f****** hat?". I just played an extended round. Finally found all of three of my new hats packed in the bottom of a rarely-used shoulder bag and stored in the back of my closet. I guess it seemed logical to put them there yesterday when I was cleaning.

Had a total meltdown, my first one in this whole process, really. Hence my suggestion to us all that we not minimize the cumulative effect of this whole process, physical, mental, emotional. Because when I finally totally lost it, it was over hats.

Take care, everyone, and go easy on yourselves.

• Bdaydx
    Bdaydx Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hello all,

Not much of a blogger as I have had to do a lot on my own. Widowed and diagnosed with MS in 2015 and after routine annual Oct mammogram, biopsy, dx with triple negative breast cancer on my bday. Started chemo November 17th, carboplatin, taxol and keytruda for 12 weeks, then adriamycin, cytoxan and keytruda for 8 weeks, planned bilateral mastectomy with radiation and finishing with 6 more months of keytruda.

Port placement was full of anxiety and they couldn’t give calming meds fast enough. Tender for a week. Could not imagine getting stuck without lidocaine as it seems there is a nerve hit each stick.

Taking zofran preventively. Chemo on Wednesdays and Fridays tend to be a day of naps, so I plan chores and meal prep around it.

Started massive shedding after 3rd chemo treatment and don’t expect to have hair left by 4th treatment.

Drinking water 2-3 quarts daily has been a big push from my oncology group. REI had a 50% of nalogean bottles which are a quart each, so I try to drink one every 4 hours. It’s worked well so far. Don’t see slot if others drinking as much water during chemo but also notice a lot are getting extra saline for rehydration.

Just trying to stay in a “normal” routine

• Bdaydx
    Options

Thank you for starting this thread

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,997
    Options

Hi All,

We welcome you warmly, though sorry to hear all of what you are going through. Please reach out if we can help in any way..

Medicating The Mods

• starrysky8
    starrysky8 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi Maddie!

I finished my chemotherapy August, 2020. My first round was Carboplatin, Taxol; the second round was AC. Nausea and fatigue were rough for me. I learned so much from my oncology nurses. They taught me how to use my prescribed nausea meds to ensure I was always covered. Once I got the meds routine in place, I did better. I slept my way through chemo. I also have chronic lymphocytic leukemia, so the fatigue was rough for me. I napped when I needed to and I used frozen ice packs wrapped in washcloths to help with headaches, flushes and nausea.

I did lose all of my hair ...it was waste length. I thought I would be upset, but I accepted it was going to happen before chemo. I think it started falling out after my 3rd treatment. I took my husband's razor and shaved myself bald one afternoon. I had bought myself some pre-tied head scarves to wear ahead of time. I embraced having no hair. I wore my head scarves out in public and I was bald at home.

I think embracing what was happening during my treatment helped me get through it. I knew I couldn't stop my treatments with triple negative bc, so I had to do it ... I had to find a way to get through it. I had such bone pain and body aches that I felt like a train hit me some days. I would take Tylenol, rest, get up, try to take a small walk outside and drink fluids as much as possible. I also leaned on my oncology nurses. They are my angels. They gave me suggestions and encouragement all the way.

Find what works for you.. pursue what brings you strength and support. I will add that I think fresh air each day helped me to stay focused and gave me a small sense of "normal". You will be in my thoughts. As my care team always told me, "You got this!"

• dianap2
    Options

Thanks for the great perspective, Starrysky. You sound like a strong, determined woman, and your words are inspiring.

I am two weeks in from my first treatment, and literally, today my hair just all of a sudden started falling out in bunches. I had my husband give me a short clipper cut (left the few bangs I had just to peek out for a bit until I get used to my cute hats). It wasn’t too bad! A whole new me. Hubby said I was sporting a punk rocker look, which I f you knew me, that is the last thing to describe this 65 year old grandma! Haha. It was a sweet moment. And I have some super cute hats and scarves that I stocked up on, so I have a little variety each day.

It helps that some energy has returned for this week, so I have the physical and emotionalbandwidth to deal with this latest change in what I look like. Trying to stay positive, and find something to be grateful for every day!

My best to you all!

• nns121317
    Options

I can't decide whether this round is any better than the first. I slept all day Saturday and Sunday. That helped with the nausea, since I wasn't awake to experience it. Today I had work, and just felt dizzy and spacey all day. Blah.

My next infusion is scheduled for 12/17. I have commencement (just a final away from being done with my Masters!) on 12/18, so I called my MO to see if he'll entertain pushing my third infusion to Monday the 20th. Still waiting for a response. My brother is coming for my graduation, I haven't seen him in over two years, and I'd really like to enjoy the weekend - I'll gladly give up Christmas! As an added bonus, a slightly adjusted schedule means I can avoid getting my 4th infusion on New Years Eve...I'm not that desperate to maximize my health insurance this year. I will certainly meet my deductible next year, too.

Is anyone else on Zyprexa for nausea? If so, how many days post infusion do you take it? This evening is day 4 for me, and I wonder if it's causing some of my tipsters during the day. But not sure I want to risk nausea yet. Maybe I'll take it a couple more days.

Hang in there, everyone! Thanks for listening/reading.

• Roo73
    Options

Bdaydx, wow, they are throwing everything but the kitchen sink at you! That's really rough. Triple negative is scary—at least they are being thorough. How are you doing now? It sounds like your treatments are weekly?

Thanks from me, too, Starrysky, for your perspective and your kind words. Diana too.

NNS, congratulations on the Masters!!! That's a huge achievement. I finished up the coursework for my PhD around the time of my diagnosis and was supposed to have been writing my proposal this fall. That hasn't happened. It has been so hard to think straight and to care about anything. I really don't think I would have been able to wrap up my Masters degree while dealing with all of this cancer stuff.

I say move that treatment so you can enjoy your commencement! I did not go to mine, because it was in the UK and I'm in Canada (I did much of the degree by distance learning). So expensive to go, jet lag, yada yada… I really regret not going; the degree was a tough slog and I wish I'd celebrated the moment.

Hope everyone is hanging in there.

• Bdaydx
    Options

Roo73 congratulations on your PhD.

NNS hope you get to celebrate your Masters! I couldn’t imagine trying to finish mine with chemo. Congratulations to you as well earning the degree.

Love the hair stories, as my sister-in-law shaved my head for me and my house is so much cleaner.

Chemo is weekly, not sleeping is common on Wednesday, day of chemo, but then Friday is nap all day.

Blessed for now as not much in side effects. I really credit my breakfast routine organic steel cut oatmeal mixed with organic oatmeal, cinnamon, walnuts and blueberries. And drinking lots of water 2-4 quarts daily. Perhaps the next round of drugs or as I have more treatments, they won’t be so kind. Snack on peanut butter crackers during chemo on shorter days 3 hours and homemade curry chicken salad wrap on longer days 4-6 hours. Taking zofran for 5 days post chemo and other than constipation and meds to fix it, no other side effects.

Eager to see how chemo is working, as MS also did infusion therapy, so perhaps I mentally push through and think of my to do lists. One thing I learned from MS is to give yourself a day off once a week to reenergize. I would be tired the day after so planned my week around the fatigue and focused on tasks the other days. My MS MD was surprised by the yard work I did (hand sawing to take down dying redbuds and digging out 30 year old ewe bushes) but it had to be done and nobody else was going to do it. My chemo RN was surprised that Saturday after my first round of 3chemo drugs I felt well enough to mulch mow all the leaves in my backyard. I guess I just bullheaded, blame my Polish/German ancestors. 😉 Time will tell but at least I feel I set a good example for my kids to do what needs to be done and move on. They are my most important focus, even though they are young adults 20-30. I love them and we are now at a stage of good friends that enjoy each other’s company.

I wish you all a good healthy week full of joyful moments and love.

• Rocky41102
    Rocky41102 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi everyone! I had my second TC treatment on Nov. 30th. I'm supposed to have 2 more to go but I'm starting to wonder about finishing. I have to have a talk with my oncologist. I'm having some unsettling side effects but I don't know if they are from the chemo or the Neulasta. The big effects start after the neulasta goes off, but that's also about when I stop taking the steroids. Really fast heart rate, high fever, and spent yesterday at the ER with hives and some tingly lips and tongue. It's been a trip so far! There's also the unbeatable fatigue but I assume that's just a typical side effect with chemo.

NNS-Congratulations on the masters! How exciting! I hope you have a great weekend. I am also taking Zyprexa, 4 nights starting the night of chemo. I've wondered if it's causing some of the fatigue and dizziness I'm having also. But I haven't been nauseous so I'm afraid to not take it and then start getting sick!

Good luck to all!