Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TCHP Fingernails

Options
jhamp
jhamp Member Posts: 2

Hi,

I finished 5/6 rounds of TCHP Oct 12, 2021 then my nails started turning. Did this happen to you? Do they grow back like normal?

It seems that my fingertips are changing shape and my fingerprints are disappearing (can't use to open doors at work anymore/I can't see them). My derm said he didn't know if they will grow back or not the same. Any tips/tricks I will appreciate! Or if you have ANY questions I will be more than happy to help!

Comments

• jhamp
    jhamp Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2021
    Options

I have a lot of pictures but I keep getting "You are not allowed to post links at this time." error message

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,986
    edited December 2021
    Options

Hi JHamp, and thanks for posting!

Nail changes are a common chemo side effect. We're sure others will be by soon to weigh in with their experiences and tips, but in the mean time, you may want to check out the main Breastcancer.org site's page on Nail Changes.

We hope this helps and that you get more answers soon!

--The Mods

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016
    edited December 2021
    Options

hi there I did haveonly Taxol Herceptin & Perjeta - I did get 'taxol nails" which lifted and I had the dark red discoloration under my nails, it lasted a while (some weeks) after I stopped Taxol. I got infections from the lifting and I lost a toenail on my right big toe. It has grown back but I had to be careful to avoid infections for months after. I used a lot of neosporin and soaked in tea trree oil with white vinegar to help keep bacteria at bay. The vinegar was recommended by my nurses

My nails did not turn black and I did not lose my fingerprints from Taxol, I do know there are other conversations about fingerprints on here, sorry I cant help with that. My nails are still very fragile, brittle and jagged all the time. I remain on H&P because I am stage IV, I am not sure but the Herceptin might be contributing to the brittle nails. Nothing awful like the infections from taxol though.

Good luck with treatment and the nail conditions.

• elle2
    elle2 Member Posts: 57
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi JHemp. I am on AC, fourth round this week. On the very first round, my nail beds turned black on my thumbs, and in varying shades of black on the rest of my fingers. Through the next 3 rounds, I started using PolyBalm made specifically for chemo patients. Most of my nail beds are much lighter or white now. The black will have to grow out but I don’t think I will lose any nails. They are still rather strong with no ridges or bumps. My toenails did better as only my large toes turned black. I am treating them with Solar cuticle oil to see if there is a difference in the products. Here is the info I also posted on another thread: https://polybalm.com/