Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Crutch in armpit

Options
mcbaker
mcbaker Member Posts: 1,798
edited January 2022 in Breast Reconstruction

HUNH??!

I have a broken leg (upper end of the tibia). Knee brace and crutches (using only one). On the right side. I have reconstruction with implant on my right side. I have been feeling many pinpricks in my right breast. It seems to be looser, and it sags as much as my left breast, which had been lifted to match the foob. I primarily sleep on my right side, and am now feeling more comfortable if I am supporting my right breast with my hand, or a rice-bag (often hot), or a piece of blanket. I am wondering if the pressure of the crutch in my armpit has altered my implant in any way or if I am just worrying unnecessarily. It has been five weeks, so I can put some weight on it now.

Yes, I know they took five lymph nodes, but that is not my question.

Comments

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    Options

Did a physical therapist show you how to use the crutches? It should not touch your armpit except lightly when you're just standing and need support so you don't fall over. All the weight should be in your arm and wrist on the hand bar. If it's hitting your armpit, the crutches need adjusting. The cushioned bar should be a few inches below your armpit.

• mcbaker
    Options

Thank you. No, they just gave me the crutches, no PT. Asked me how tall I am. I note that it is set to 5-8, when I am 5-7. Perhaps I need to move it to there, although I am a fraction above 5-7. At first I used a walker borrowed from Senior Citizens. Then I went to one crutch. At this point, I should use the crutch for balance, and as an emergency support if I feel the joint slipping.

• alicebastable
    Options

Using one crutch puts much more weight on your armpit. You should use two.

• mcbaker
    Options

Waah!! OK. You apparently know more about it than me. Will do.

• alicebastable
    Options

Had knee surgery ages ago and a hip replacement a decade ago and a sprained knee about five years ago, so I've had a bit of experience hobbling around on crutches! 😀

• mcbaker
    Options

Thank you.