Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I’m new to this thread!

Options

Ok guys I will have to have 28 days of radiation. Ugh. I have to finish my fills to my expanders first. So it will be another 4 weeks or so before I begin.

I need advise. Whatever you have! I just don’t want any surprises!

I like to know what I’m facing

Thank you guys.

Comments

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited January 2022
    Options

LoverofJesus - sorry you have to go through rads. My suggestion is to look through previous threads, maybe November/December and January, or before to see what other's have to say. I joined the August group and started rads in September, the members were so helpful so I knew somewhat what I was getting into. Best of luck.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2022
    Options

It varies so much from person to person! Some people burn badly and peel and have all sorts of problems. I barely turned pink and never even got tired. Bear in mind that it's people with problems who post the most, so that skews the percentage perspective.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited January 2022
    Options

Your RO will give you his/her suggestions for skin care. You will see them weekly, nurse daily. Any issues can be addressed then. They each seem to have their own preferences. My first time around I burned badly. Second time, different RO, not so bad.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,092
    edited January 2022
    Options

Lover of Jesus - I agree with Serendipity. I've seen you on a number of different issues, but personally I joined one of the groups going through the same thing I was at that time. There are monthly/quarterly groups for surgery, chemo, radiation, etc. I made friends years ago that I still keep in touch with. Look for radiation December or radiation winter 2021.

• SillyMama
    SillyMama Member Posts: 49
    edited January 2022
    Options

Sorry you have to go through this. I agree with the other posters- Rads are different for different people. - I went through rads with a group here (back in 2004!) and my gals were able to help me through the process. They were right there when I had questions. Most of my experience was easy.
    What I actually remember the most was that the appointments ruled my life for a while. One of my friends here told me to try to schedule them early in the day, because they're not as likely to start running late so you don't have to sit around and wait. I did do that, and it worked out well. Some days other patients ran late, so the techs took me in ahead of them and I got through even earlier. (((hugs)))

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,092
    edited January 2022
    Options

Lover = here's the general radiation area. You can pick up a contemporaneous group from here.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/70