Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Savi implant

Options

Hi all,

Recently diagnosed with IBC, ER+ HR+ and HERS negative.My surgery is scheduled and 2 days prior I’m being sent for the Savi.

Anyone have this done?

Thank you.

Comments

• kksmom3
    kksmom3 Member Posts: 101
    edited February 2022
    Options

This is really late, and maybe you had this done, but, I had it done prior to lumpectomy and it was no issue at all.

• bacismom
    bacismom Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2022
    Options

Thank you so much. I’m actually having it done today. I appreciate your response.

• cancer2022
    cancer2022 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2022
    Options

Hope your SaviScout went well. Mine is scheduled for Feb 18. Hope it is easier than tthe biopsy

• bacismom
    edited February 2022
    Options

All done. Quick and easy. Now to get Wednesday partial mastectomy out of the way. Praying for no node dissection. Then on to radiation. Kks mom3, how much radiation did you have and how was that? I appreciate your knowledge having gone before me.

• jeanne12
    jeanne12 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2022
    Options

Had Savi placed after partial mastectomy and begin radiation on Monday. My question is: Does the catheter move in the breast? My home care nurse said not to move the arrn so the catheter won't dislodge. I guess they check it when the radiation starts and if it has moved they have to adjust it which can be painful. Would appreciate input. TIA

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited March 2022
    Options

jeanne12, hope you are doing well after surgery. I think there is a little confusion on this thread. There are two different things, and I think it was started for a SAVI Scout, which is a device before surgery. The second SAVI is for the radiation therapy I think you're asking about. There are a couple of older threads discussing SAVI radiation, but I'm not sure they are accessible with the current BCO format problems. You can try to run a search on brachytherapy and savi.

I'll try to answer here what I think you're asking about the radiation therapy called brachytherapy. Is this what you're asking about:

Edited to say I never could insert the picture so here's a link to it https://www.verywellhealth.com/savi-breast-brachytherapy-device-430391

image alt="SAVI Brachytherapy for Early-Stage Breast Cancer">

If so, the catheters hang outside the breast, and yes, you need to be careful to not move them during the shortened treatment time, but I could move my arm. It's been a few years since I had this type, but, depending on which direction they come out of the incision, they might be able to be taped down, or, in my case, I couldn't wear a bra, but protected them by wearing a breast binder or wrapping chest to hold catheters in place. It would depend on your specific placement. I had a CT scan before each treatment to check if it moved, and fortunately, mine never did, although one of the catheters plugs fell out (it was not a problem). Did a nurse navigator or someone who inserted the device give you information? You probably cannot get the area wet or take shower while it is inserted. Once radiation starts, my breast center always cleaned and dressed the area after each treatment, and then when the device was removed following the final treatment. If you have any other questions, please feel free to send me a private message and I'd be glad to try to answer. All the best. Please let us know how you're doing! Ceanna

Edited because the picture would not display!

• bacismom
    edited March 2022
    Options

I agree with Ceanna, I did not receive this type of Savi. I start radiation Monday and I don’t have anything inside or outside besides the tattoos. Good luck on Monday.

• jeanne12
    edited March 2022
    Options

Ceanna... Thanks for the info. Your answer did correctly refer to my question.

I went thru a similar procedure as you described and although my catheter did need to be slightly adjusted it wasn't very painful. I have however had a lot of drainage from my lymph node disection site and it is quite bloody. I had to stay an extra night after my partial mastectomy because of bleeding and had to go to ER last night. I guess its from the seroma. My surgeon wants the area open so it will drain but it's kind of scary. Tomorrow is my last day of radiation and not sure what will happen after that. Again thanks for connecting.

• jeanne12
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hope all went well! Your schedule is the same as mine. It's been a long week.

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited March 2022
    Options

Jeanne, glad to hear you're almost done with radiation and it's going well, but sorry you ended up in the ER. Hope your seroma and lymph node site heal quickly. I had a seroma too and it healed after radiation, so I hope the same for you also. They will also probably leave the catheter insertion incision open to heal, although you will be able to take that first shower! The only thing after the rads is working with your doctors to decide on hormone or chemo treatment, if needed. I didn't have either. I did experience a little healing pains as the nerves adjust to surgery, rads, and healing. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. All the best. Ceanna