Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New diagnosis, booster shot and work?

lindat2957
lindat2957 Member Posts: 2

During my cross country move my PCP told me I had ILC in my left breast. At 51 I am starting a PhD program next week (long story). My original plan had been to get my booster shot when I got here as I had been told to wait until after my mammogram and biopsy. I have my first oncology appointment this coming Tuesday (perhaps that is when I learn size and pathology?), but I start training at my university Monday for teaching labs. Meanwhile, I am getting conflicting advice on getting boosted based on the need for a CT scan.

I am now in the south where covid numbers are dramatically increasing and my university wants a yes or no answer on teaching before I see the oncologist. I have now wasted an entire morning wringing my hands. I have never felt so paralyzed by a decision. Just found your forum and have been thumbing through it trying to stave of feeling so ignorant and ill informed. Has anyone gotten their booster shot while waiting for additional tests? I feel like if I get it now, then I would only be looking at needing someone to fill in for a week. Any shared experiences of navigating a new diagnosis and boosters/work is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited January 2022

I'd get it ASAP. You don't want to get taken out by covid before starting treatment or during treatment. It could even delay treatment or complicate the whole process even more if you develop long term covid symptoms. Waiting a bit longer for a CT if necessary won't make a difference.

Edit: I looked it up and it takes several days before the booster begins to take effect, and two weeks to get to full immunity. So getting it now to prepare for Monday won't do much. Waiting until Tuesday and seeing what your oncologist says seems like it would be fine. I am not entirely sure I understand the teaching timeline part though, about taking off a week. When, and why?

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,163
    edited January 2022

I’ve heard the booster can cause lymph nodes to show on mammogram. Get the booster on the non cancer side just in case. Especially if you are in FloriDuh get the booster.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,044
    edited January 2022

Better yet - got the booster in your thigh.

• lindat2957
    lindat2957 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2022

Thank you all!! Kicking myself for not asking this earlier in the day. I have scheduled my booster and already feel better about things. I had painted myself in a corner of work or no work failing to see this as an obvious answer. Thank you all again!