Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New lump one year after initial diagnosis

Options
Orleans
Orleans Member Posts: 3

Hi! Just need somewhere to release some stress! I was diagnosed with IDC one year ago at age 46. I had a lumpectomy, then re-excision when the margins were positive. Margins were still positive after second surgery. I had five weeks of radiation and am now on daily tamoxifen. One year after my initial diagnosis, to the day, I found another lump in the same breast. I’ve scheduled mammogram and ultrasound but the waiting is awful. I constantly feel like I have a bowling ball in the pit of my stomach. The lump feels very similar to the first tumor, which I also found on my own following clear mammogram. I want to be hopeful that it’s not more cancer, but am struggling.

I’ve not shared this with anyone other than my husband and dr. I have three kids, high school and college age. I don’t want them to worry unless there is something to worry about. Meanwhile it’s very hard compartmentalizing so they don’t sense that something may be wrong.

Just looking for some support in a place full of people who I know really get it. Thank you!

Comments

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi Orleans. I'm sorry you're in this situation. You're right: something may be wrong. However, even a year after surgery, whatever is going on might be completely benign. Fat necrosis, scar tissue, seroma, some other kind of benign lump are very very common. Last September, 2.5 years after my diagnosis, I found a new lump. I had an appt with my PCP a couple of days after I found it, for something else, and she kind of gasped when she felt it. It grew fast, and by the time I had a biopsy 3 weeks later, I was working hard at compartmentalizing, like you. But it was a benign mass of scar cells. I had NO idea that would happen, esp so long after surgery.

My situation and yours are different. I tell you this story just as reminder and reassurance that not all lumps are cancer. You don't know what this is, which of course is part of the problem. But it might help you manage your fears to remind yourself of just that: "I don't actually know what this is. It could be completely benign. I'll find out pretty soon. Until then, what do I need to pay attention to right now?" And as a young wife and mom, you have plenty of other things to pay attention to right now! :) Take a deep breath. Breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth. Repeat. And just keep going. You can do it.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

• Orleans
    Orleans Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2022
    Options

All wise words. Thank you for your kind support. I hope you’re doing well at this point. I think I’ll be in “hope for the best, prepare for the worst” mode until my scans next week. Even though our situations are all unique, it really helps to share here with people who understand the range of this experience from the inside.

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited January 2022
    Options

Yep, we get it!!

If you can get a full-body hug with someone, probably husband, once or twice a day for longer than just a second, that will probably help, too. And if you have pets, glom onto one of them and just hold on for a bit. Body contact is soothing.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,918
    edited January 2022
    Options

Very wise words, indeed. Thanks MountainMia.

Orleans, we're all here for you. Please keep us posted, and reach out if we can help, or just to rant a bit!