Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ADHD and Tamoxifen

Options
cria
cria Member Posts: 9

I've seen a lot of women report that their ADHD meds don't work as well at certain times in their menstrual cycles. Wondering if anyone has noticed if their tamoxifen affected the effectiveness of their medication for ADHD? I got my ADHD diagnosis at 40, and haven't had a "normal" life or schedule since then so it's hard for me to really tell if the adderall works or not. Got the breast cancer diagnosis at 43, and have been on Tamoxifen since 44. Given that tamoxifen acts LIKE estrogen in some tissues and ANTI estrogen in others, I'm curious if it messes with stimulants or not.

Thanks.

Comments

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    edited January 2022
    Options

This is so interesting!

I also was diagnosed with breast cancer very shortly (within a year? maybe less) after my ADHD diagnosis, and I honestly feel like my ADHD has gotten *more* difficult to manage despite finally have a diagnosis and medication.

I can tell when my meds are working because on the days when I'm like - why can't I get anything done today and why am I still on my butt glued to the computer feeling anxious about everything but doing nothing and why did it take me three tries to leave the house this morning and I still left stuff behind - those are almost always days when I haven't taken the medication.

I also feel like both the hormonals and the stimulants can mess with sleep, and that creates its own whole thing of trying to balance and get right.

Thank you for asking, I want to think about this and will ask my psych next time I see him. He is from the breast cancer side though and has been very game about supporting my ADHD but I don't think his expertise is nearly as deep there.

• cria
    cria Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2022
    Options

I don't know if you are on Reddit at all, but there is a subreddit r/adhdwomen, that has a lot of members and many good posts. It was some posts there mentioning varying effectiveness of stimulants according to menstrual cycle that made me wonder about tamoxifen.