Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Re-excision under only local? Scheduled tomorrow.

Options
1982m
1982m Member Posts: 224

Hello,

Long story short I contracted Covid. The hospital has cancelled my oncoplastic lumpectomy (which I’m devastated about but can’t even processes what a mess my breast will be now).

They told me they are doing to do a re-excision while I am awake using local anesthesia now bc they won’t intubated me for four weeks post Covid (even though I wasn’t very sick at all. Sore throat x2 days. Dry occ cough x 3 days).

Anyone have a lumpectomy or re-excision just with local anesthesia? How was it?

I had a lumpectomy so I’m not very afraid of the healing. Last time it was the sentile node that bugged me so I’m pretty sure this will be a walk in the park.

Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    Options

I think I just had the twilight type of anesthesia through an IV for my re-excision. I know I was in and out of the hospital super fast, and that was pre-Covid. The whole thing took maybe 45 minutes.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,269
    Options

1982M- I'm not the best person to weigh in here, because I am a total needle phobe and get completely freaked out when they do anything with just locals, so if it was me, I'd want to be out for the procedure. Everyone is different though, and many don't have any problem doing theses things under locals only. My question would be: Would you be willing to wait the 4 weeks before they would be willing to intubate you? Usually these surgeries are not considered emergencies and waiting a reasonable amount of time, isn't problematic. Also, is there anything "in between", i.e. more than a local, but not requiring intubation? I'm no expert, but again, if it was me, I might ask.

Very sorry about your situation and hope you find a good solution soon.

• 1982m
    Options

Thanks Alice,How did you feel after the twilight sedation? Was recovering from it ok? I HATE feeling out of it. I don't like medications like morphine etc. I also vomit any time I've had anesthesia or narcotics.

Thanks ThreeTree. They actually said I can't wait any longer and they even bumped my surgery date up to get it done while I'm still infectious. My original date was Jan 26th and they moved it to Monday the 24th. It wasn't really a discussion with me about what was happen. I was just kinda told the plan. I mean- what you says make sense and I'm not really sure why the rush? I'm wondering if they want the re-excision ASAP so that my pathology report can be back ASAP for radiation? I have no idea.

• bitchonwheels
    bitchonwheels Member Posts: 15
    Options

Sorry to hear you have to have a re excision and the fact they can’t put you under because of the fact you had Covid. With so many unknowns with this virus it’s best they err on the side of caution. I’m sure they are giving you a nerve block but hopefully they are also giving you something to relax you. With my colonoscopy I was given a Demerol mixture without being knocked out. I was somewhat aware of what was going on but high as a kite so didn’t really care. Hopefully, this is an option for you. Best of luck with the re excision and a good result!

• 1982m
    Options

Thanks Wrenn! That’s reassuring!
    Thanks bitchonwheels.

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    Options

1982M - Sorry to hear you're going through this.

I had an emergency re-excision and was wide awake for it. They numbed the area really really good and I couldn't feel a thing. It really was a painless process. Probably one of the easiest procedures I've had throughout all of this. The area was a bit sore for a couple days, I may have a taken one Tylenol the next day, but that was it.

Good luck and I hope all turns out well.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    Options

i have had several procedures, including a bone biopsy, without general anesthesia. One drug commonly used is Versed. It didn’t make me feel high but made me not really care what was going on despite feeling fully aware (though undoubtedly I was quite out of it). Versed also has amnesiac properties so you may remember very little of the procedure. Yes, there will also be a pain killer in your IV. I get sick from morphine so I was given something else. No post anesthesia grogginess as with a general. I was starving and gobbled up the turkey sandwich they brought me. Given a choice and if medically appropriate I would choose twighlight/local anesthesia any time. Take care.

• 1982m
    Options

Thanks exbrnxgrl and Serendipity.
    I feel a lot better about tomorrow knowing it’s not as bad as I imagine.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    Options

I woke up as soon as the IV was out of me and I felt just fine. I don't think I even took Tylenol afterwards.

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    Options

I'm wondering if this would be similar to how they removed my port. It was done with local anesthetic and my head was under a "hood" thing so I couldn't see what was happening. (They had to cut away some scar tissue that had formed around the port.) Anyway, I was awake but didn't feel anything except a bit of tugging when they pulled the port out and stitched everything closed. I was able to get up and walk out of there under my own steam. Good luck to you!

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 774
    Options

Twilight sedation has been really easy for me. Just tell them how you react to morphine. Thinking good thoughts for you!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,077
    Options

Do let us know how it goes and what drug they're using. I'm wondering if it's Propofol - which I've had for several colonoscopies.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    Options

minus two,

It’s both sad and funny that many of us have had so many procedures that we have our preferred drugs. I always ask if I’m getting Versed. I had sinus surgery last spring. Although I was having general anesthesia, they gave me Versed after starting my IV (my port was used) and I had not a care after that nor do I remember much 😉.

• 1982m
    Options

MinusTwo- it was Propofol.

I’d say it’s much better then going under general for me. I refused narcotics which means no vomiting or nausea. The pain was 4 or 5/10 but now it’s only 2/3 out of 10. Already at home resting.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,077
    Options

1982 - glad it's done. I also refuse any codeine or derivatives for the same reason - nausea and it makes me "loopy". Remember to treat yourself gently!!

• 1982m
    Options

Thanks everyone for the advise and experience :)