Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Breast Reconstruction with Latissimus Dorsi Flap

Options
Slnewton47
Slnewton47 Member Posts: 1
edited January 2022 in Breast Reconstruction

My name is Sherry and i'm 58 yrs old. This is my 2nd bout with breast cancer. I had it in 2002 and I had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation. It came back in December 2021 in the same breast. This time my surgeon said that I would need a mastectomy. I have also seen my plastic surgery. On February 16, 2022, they will be removing the breast with immediate reconstruction using the latissimus dorsi flap method with a tissue expander and then eventually a implant. I have researched this procedure and have read some horror stories about major back problems and other issues. I'm also not sure if I want to deal with the potential problems of a breast implant. I'm thinking of just getting the mastectomy for now to give me more time to consider my reconstruction options later. My question is for any ladies that have had the latissimus dorsi flap procedure if you can tell me a little about your experience. I was considering getting the tram flap but my doctor said that I didn't have enough stomach fat. The tumor I have is located right below the nipple so I won't be able to save the skin.

Comments

• Illinois17
    Illinois17 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2022
    Options

I am going for consultations this month for flap reconstruction too. I am also highly considering having no reconstruction. Would love to hear others experiences & recovery from any recent flap procedures.

• ratherbesailing
    ratherbesailing Member Posts: 118
    edited January 2022
    Options

Sherry -

I don't know how thin you are, but you might consider getting a second opinion on the TRAM/DIEP flap. The first plastic surgeon I met with told me flat-out I didn't have enough tissue. Two other surgeons - both of whom had much more experience with the procedure - said I was a good candidate, but they would have to take both sides of the abdomen. It is called a "stacked" procedure. The PS also reduced my other side to match. I am now about one cup smaller, but both sides look great.

• jumboshrimp
    jumboshrimp Member Posts: 1
    Options

I too am considering having latissimus flap surgery. It’s been 2 1/2 years since my lumpectomy but I still have a seroma. I had a second surgery by a breast surgeon who was not a plastic surgeon. That surgery did not eliminate the seroma. I now need to have the radiated tissue removed so it will heal.

If anyone has had this surgery, please let me know how difficult and/or painful it was to undergo. How long did it take for you to recover enough to do most of your daily routine?

Thank you!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,918
    Options

Hi @jumboshrimp and welcome to Breastcancer.org. You're sure to find great support here, even though this thread has been quiet for a while. Hopefully your post will revive it so that others can weigh in with their experiences with LAT Flap Reconstruction.

In the meantime, you might find it helpful to read our page on Latissimus Dorsi Flap Reconstruction, which explains what to expect with the surgery and recovery and more.

We hope this helps. Let us know if there's anything we can help with as you navigate our Community — we're all here for you!

—The Mods