Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Slighty swollen "muscle" above collarbone

Hi, I don't want to be paranoid and phone the doc when it's nothing.

I just feel my muscle above my collarbone up towards my neck on the left side feel slightly swollen and sensitive.

I don't want to waste the doc's time, but I am also a little worried I leave it and then it turns out to be something.

I just think I can't have a recurrence so early.

Anyone had similar situation?

Comments

• Flo80
    Flo80 Member Posts: 212
    edited January 2022

Hi there I was about to post this. I also have the same thing starting from my neck on right side towards shoulder. It’s not palpable but feels like a swelling.

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    edited January 2022

I would encourage you both to let your oncologist know. I had a similar situation to you both. I was diagnosed 2B back in 2010. In 2019, I thought it was just my lymphedema getting worse. I already suffered from moderate lymphedema on my mastectomy side but now I was experiencing swelling going over my collarbone and it was sore. I told my LE therapist about it and she was trying to help me get the swelling under control and we weren't having much success. I mentioned it to my MO at my yearly appointment and he ended up getting it biopsied. It ended up being cancer in a lymph node and in my collarbone. Now, hopefully neither of you are having a recurrence but it is best to let your MO know so that they can decide if this is something that needs to be looked at further. There are other things that can swell up a lymph node besides cancer but better safe than sorry.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited January 2022

a cancer patient is not wasting their drs time if they're reporting any symptoms of possible recurrence.

I agree with cowgal - both of you sh be seen

There are some graphics here which show people what to look for (they're from UK and use secondary for metastatics. It's the same thing...)

https://www.abcdiagnosis.co.uk/resources/infograph...

Swelling in lymph anywhere definitely needs reporting.

For things like pain in hip.or back, the usual advice is if it's not getting better with rest, gentle stretching for 2 weeks, then report.

Make your threshold for concern low. If it's not normal for you, get it checked out. Odds are it will not be cancer but whatever it is needs diagnosis & treatment.

Best wishes

• Flo80
    Flo80 Member Posts: 212
    edited January 2022

Thank you. I have this swelling from neck to shoulder. Does not look like a lump. I am going to show it to my primary today and then oncologist on Thursday

• annake
    annake Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2022

Thanks for the responses. @cowgirl. what treatments did you get for the cancer in your lymphnode/collarbone?

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,072
    edited January 2022

Annake - when I had a swollen lymph node at my collar bone, it was two years after my BMX for DCIS. It was the size of a golf ball. Node tested as IDC and HER2+, and was called a "local recurrence". I had neoadjuvant chemo, ALND surgery, more chemo, Rads & Herceptin for the rest of a year.

That said, you seem to be talking about a muscle. ALso there are LOTS of reasons for swollen lymph nodes. Hope this is just your lymph system doing it's job.

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    edited January 2022

Annake - I went through 12 weeks of Taxol IV chemo and radiation to my collarbone. For medications, I am on Ibrance, Faslodex and XGEVA.

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited January 2022
    "a cancer patient is not wasting their drs time if they're reporting any symptoms of possible recurrence"

YES. And if your doctor acts like you are bothering them, it's probably time to get a new one. I reported several odd things to my doctor and they always took it seriously. They never made me feel like I was wasting their time, even though I sometimes felt like I was.
  • annake
    annake Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2022

Hi all, I went to the doc today. They were quite sure it was lymphedema. They sent me for a doppler and it ruled out DVT and no swollen nodes.

So I will try and get in with the physio as soon as I can,

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 464
    edited February 2022

great news. -I hope you can get some physical therapy soo