Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Question about lung nodule size

Options

Hey all! My most recent CT showed a 5mm lung nodule. MO says we'll scan again in 6 months. We'll, I went back and looked at old images. An abdominal CT from 7 months ago showed the nodule but it measured 3mm. It wasn't noted in the report then so I don't think my MO was aware. I've made an appointment with my PCP to discuss it. I'm wondering, for those who've monitored a lung nodule, is 2mm of growth in 7 months typically suspicious for mets? Thanks everybody!

Comments

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited January 2022
    Options

It's hard when you're in single digit mm sizes. I'd want to know about the precision of the instruments and what the +/- of the measurement is.

All the stuff I track is in 10s of mm (sometimes many 10s /sigh/)

I hope your drs have good and reassuring information for you!

• armom4
    armom4 Member Posts: 82
    edited January 2022
    Options

Thanks moth! I'll make sure to ask about the instruments and how the nodule is measured. Sorry about the 10s. Keep fighting.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    edited January 2022
    Options

My doctors (MO and PCP) have both told me that the size of anything on CTs can vary from one scan to another, depending on your exact position when laying on your back, to how hydrated you were, to how each radiologist looks at things on any given day - LOTS of variables.

• armom4
    armom4 Member Posts: 82
    edited January 2022
    Options

Good to know Alice! So what looks like growth may not be. Thanks for that.