Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

doctor not sure if i need a follow up?

Options
Elena91
Elena91 Member Posts: 2
edited January 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

hi lovely ladies!

Ive been seeing a doctors for breast immaging for almost 2 years now (4 ultrasounds and 1 mammogram). Yesterday i had another ultrasound and mammogram at a new facility in a different hospital. Tech and radiologist said there was no evidence of cancer however that they need my previous imaging to compare before scheduling a possible follow up.

i only brought them one ultrasound from 2 years ago so they requested all imagging from previous facility, saying that the old ultrasound doesnt mean anything to them.

I have multiply breast cysts, some complex and possible fibroadenomas. The good news is that some of the complex cysts are simple now and that my possible fibroadenoma hasnt grew in years.

My question is - why do they need previous imaging if they everything is ok now? It gives me lots of anxiety thinking theyll call me to come for a biopsy or another ultrasound.

Thank you xoxo

Comments

• sunshinegal
    sunshinegal Member Posts: 67
    edited January 2022
    Options

You said it in your first paragraph - to compare what they are seeing today to what has showed up on (all) previous imaging. This info gives them as complete a picture as possible of changes that have happened over time, which may inform how long until they want to see you again.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited January 2022
    Options

They need previous imaging to compare if what they're seeing is stable/same as to what was seen before. Breast mammograms and ultrasounds are really just a sea of shades of grey. I continue to be amazed at the skill it takes to read & interpret them. The more info you can give them, the better than can decode what they're seeing.

They might not be seeing anything suspicious of cancer but might be seeing some spots which - depending on whether they're new or different = might prompt a different follow up schedule. Some people for example are asked to return for 6 months screening to monitor a new area.

best wishes!

• Elena91
    Elena91 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2022
    Options

thank you for your responses! I did get a bit anxious, but now i feel a bit better.

Sending everyone lots of ❤️