Reassurance about delaying radiation?
When I get the chance I will ask the radiation oncologist.
I was diagnosed in July 2021. Originally it was suppose to be lumpectomy, chemo and Herceptin, then tamoxifen and radiation. Well…the margins on my lumpectomy had DCIS in them so I started chemo without a re-excision and they planned to go back after chemo.
So long story from my first lumpectomy I have a big dent so they were going to do a re-excision and a breast reduction to help with the dent. The plastic surgeon was frank that the dent would be worse after radiation and it’s already pretty noticeable. (9 o’clock inner left breast).
Then I caught Covid before my surgery (we tried really hard not to but my 4 year old goes to daycare).
They cancelled the reduction since it’s elective and did just a re-excision under local. The plastic surgeon so far is still ok with doing a breast reduction before radiation but not before pathology comes back. That’s expected to be 3-4 weeks. I don’t think I’ll be scheduled ASAP and then I need healing time.
My med onc has put me on tamoxifen while waiting and I’m still on Herceptinbut what’s the upper limit of waiting?
I won’t go to radiation without a reduction bc saving the breast seems futile when it’s already fairly deformed. I’d rather just get a mastectomy and reconstruction if it takes to long.
I think I’m looking for reassurance that delaying radiation is ok? That it’s been done and it won’t be a huge deal? I don’t know if you can actually tell me that….but that’s what I’m hoping.
I’m stuck between feeling this urgency to do it all but realizing I have to live with the breast for hopefully 40 more years and waiting an extra month or two for radiation is prob ok.