Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Worried - Lymph Nodes in Chest

Options

At my last check-up, I mentioned to MO that I've been having some back pain. She ordered a bone scan and spine CT with contrast. The bone scan was normal, but the CT lit up some nodes. I am not sure if they are in chest or lungs. (I am staying off Google) Doctor called and left a message that she was ordering a chest CT. I was surprised because i thought I was just paranoid about the back pain. Other than that, I've felt fine and labs have been normal. (I developed chest aches after finding out which may be real or just my mind making my body hurt)

I finished treatment for triple negative cancer a little over a year ago, so I am very scared and worried. My family tells me not to worry and think positive, but I don't think they understand how serious it will be if it spread. I just needed to share my thoughts with others who understand.

Comments

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options

You have come to the right place. Even after my recurrence was confirmed and I told people where it was, several members of my family still didn't understand how serious it was until they consulted Dr. Google themselves. I don't blame them though, most people don't understand unless they've already had experience with it. I haven't told a wider group of people yet because I don't want to deal with the inevitable useless "be positive! don't worry!" cheerleading.

You did the right thing by reporting your symptoms and it's great your doctor is taking it seriously. A recurrence is often diagnosed because of seemingly minor symptoms. Mine was discovered because I'd been having some very mild shortness of breath but felt fine otherwise and bloodwork never showed anything unusual. I had been at the oncologist for a routine check up only weeks before! And like you, after they told me they saw a suspicious spot in my spine, immediately my back started hurting! But it went away after the shock went away.

I hope your symptoms turn out to be nothing. But we're here for you if they do. ❤️

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    Options

violetcat - first and foremost, I hope that everything comes out in your favor.

I can sympathize with what you say above. I was dx'd with a recurrence not even 11 months after I finished infusion chemo. It was physically present 6 months after, but brushed off as a blemish. It, indeed, was a recurrence and not part of the initial diagnosis. Several family and friends really didn't get it. Many didn't/don't understand how aggressive triple negative can be, not to diminish any other type of bc because none of them are easy. Most people don't even know that there are different types of bc. I was told on several occasions, "oh you already went through the worst part" (they meant chemo and surgery). Unless you've experience it or cared for someone who has had bc, one really can't comprehend the emotional toll it takes. For me, chemo was difficult, but doable; radiation was one the worst experiences of my life, and everyone thought, myself included, that it would be easier than chemo. So so many others have done well with rads. Again, that was my experience.

Share your feelings, thoughts, emotions...that's what we're here for. <3

• violetcat
    violetcat Member Posts: 7
    Options

Thank you for responding. I appreciate it. It's comforting to know others understand.

• parakeetsrule
    Options

When is your CT scan? I hope you don't have to wait too long.
  • parakeetsrule
    Options

When is your CT scan? I hope you don't have to wait too long.

• violetcat
    Options

The CT scan is Wednesday. I'm worried though because I have to drive an hour north of my house, and a bad winter storm is supposed to be coming thru western Ohio that day. Hopefully, the center won't close due to the weather.

My anxiety is off the charts. I called my insurance company today for a referral to a therapist. The name they gave me sounded familiar, and I realized she is the mom of one of my daughter's best friends. Daughter approves of me talking to her, so I will schedule an appointment when her office opens tomorrow.

• maryjv
    maryjv Member Posts: 269
    Options

violet cat, I have very similar time frame of diagnosis and chemo schedule as you. I also have right sided back pain off/on since diagnosis…did bone scans, mri and Ct scans no signs of tumors. Recently had mri of thoracic spine, no signs of tumor or herniated discs (was found to have lower back herniated discs last year) so of course I google and it leads me to chest/ lung…I did mention to my MO on Monday but she said she is referring me to ortho and pcp because she does not think it’s cancer related, I completely understand your concerns and hoping only for the best for you! I’m going to push for lung scan just for piece of mind…

• violetcat
    Options

Maryjv, we're cancer twins. There probably aren't many others who remember 11/22/2019 like we do. I hope you figure out what is causing your back pain and continue to have clear scans.

• violetcat
    Options

I saw my MO on Wednesday. She said CT of chest shows a very small spot on left lung and and an enlarged lymph node that is pressing on airway. I have a pet scan scheduled for Monday.

Doctor said I will need a biopsy of the node. She recommended a pulmonologist in the town where my cancer center is located. I was originally diagnosed at Ohio State's breast cancer clinic, but moved my treatment closer to home. Now that I've had time to think about it, I wonder if it would be better for me to go back to Ohio State to get info about what is happening in the lung. The advantage would be higher probability of a doctor who has done this before. Drawback is I might have to wait longer for an appointment.

Does anyone have experience with having a biopsy for something like this and suggestions about what questions I should be asking?

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

I had a ct guided lung biopsy in March 2020 when I was first diagnosed.

How they approach depends on where it is so how they did mine might not be the same. I would honestly pick the first place that can do the biopsy. Faster you have tissue off to the pathologist the faster you find out what is going on. Pulmonology would be very experienced doing this. I was done by interventional radiology.

Hang in there. I know this time sucks so much