Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Upcoming brain mri

Options

Hi,

I’m having a brain mri Wednesday due to persistent headaches/dizziness and some hearing issues. Can anyone let me know what to expect? I’m very, very nervous about the procedure and what they might find.

Diagnosed Nov 2018 triple positive.

Comments

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,682
    Options

Still-me40, I’ve had one brain MRI. The difference was they do put something around or over your head, but it was open enough and far enough away from my face that it didn’t bother me. If that would bother you, I’d make sure you can take something to stay calm, but you’d have to make sure they know you will be doing that and have someone drive you. I do not get claustrophobic in the MRI machine. Have you had a previous MRI? The machine makes a lot of noise, so they give you headphones. I’m sorry you have to have one, and I hope for great results.

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options

I had a brain MRI and it was easy! I just lay there and try to relax and it goes by pretty fast.
  • maryjv
    maryjv Member Posts: 269
    Options

I have had two brain MRI…one post chemo when I began having the same symptoms you describe. I think it was about 45 minutes total and it’s just really loud, but they give you ear plugs. My results did not show any tumors and so I was sent over to ENT as I have some hearing loss…my doctors say it’s nerve damage from tAxol. Thinking of you and hoping for similar results for you!

• whatnow
    whatnow Member Posts: 20
    Options

I have had two brain MRIs, but it has been quite some time.

Because I have a bad back, they gave me valium so I could lie n the table. That made it much easier but then you need someone drive you. These days, the leg rest wedges make it SO much more comfortable that I am sure I would not need a medication. There is zero pain. Mine took about 45 minutes each (MUCH longer than a CT). They can talk to you while you are in the tube. You can probably listen to music. I even have slight claustrophobia but I had an open MRI and it was truly no big deal. I hope it turns out to be a non-event for you too. Hugs.

• still-me40
    still-me40 Member Posts: 8
    Options

just wanted to provide a little update. MRI done, thank you to everyone that posted to explain it so I wasn’t so scared. The procedure was uneventful- I have a follow up telephone appointment tomorrow to discuss the results.

The hospital texted me this morning to say they changed it to an in person appointment instead…..now I’m really worried because, well that can’t be good news right?

I will let you know how it goes to

• maryjv
    Options

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers

• laughinggull
    laughinggull Member Posts: 511
    Options

Yes, that sounds pretty scary. I hate it when they send you these ominous signs, shrouded in mystery, devoid of any reassuring message. Don't they realize the recipient is a sentient being? How could that not freak you out? Sometimes they make you feel you are in the other side of a thick glass divide, where they can't hear you or feel your pain.

Hoping for the best for you and for reassurances tomorrow. IF it turns out you have brain mets, I hope it is something tiny that can be zipped quickly, providing you immediate relief. On your side, sister. You are loved and you are still here. You can do this. We are with you.
    Big hug Heart

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,591
    Options

Still-me, that would concern me, too. However, when I was told that I had mets, my PCP told me over a video visit. I'll be following this thread to check on you.

(((hugs)))

Carol

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    Options

A lot of places are changes their protocols due to lighter Covid rules now. My healthcare system just sent messages this week that more visitors are allowed. Your doctor may be switching everyone to on-site visits.

• still-me40
    still-me40 Member Posts: 8
    Options

update!

MRI was all clear. Thank you everyone for talking me down and all your kind words- they really did help!

• smoothoperator78
    smoothoperator78 Member Posts: 72
    Options

i am so relieved for you

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,911
    Options

Still-me40, awesome news! We're super glad to hear that. Thanks for the update!

The Mods

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,591
    Options

Great news! Thanks for letting us know.

• maryjv
    Options

Wonderful news!!

• grainne
    grainne Member Posts: 119
    Options

Just fantastic. Good news for one of us is good news for all of us.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,221
    Options

still me - fantastic news, I know how worrisome those type of symptoms can be - particularly for Her2+ people because of the greater propensity for brain mets. I had very similar symptoms, went through the workup as well, but what it turned out that I had was Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss, which was virally induced by the same virus responsible for chicken pox, shingles, etc. My first symptom was mild dizziness particularly when turning while walking, I am a headache-y person so it was hard to parse that, but the thing that drove me to get checked was the rather sudden hearing loss. I called my daughter's ENT and described my symptoms and they had me come immediately to the office. I had a hearing test, an exam (I had already had the head imaging, which they reviewed), and they started me on massive steroids and an anti-viral drug. For some, this can be reversed if the drug therapy is started early, but it was not reversed for me. I am now deaf to human voice on one side only - it has presented some challenges, but I was very relieved that it was not brain mets. You may want to consult an ENT for further evaluation - good luck!

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 464
    Options

I’m so happy you got good news!!!! I hate that you had an incredibly long day of worry because they switched the type of appt!

• laughinggull
    laughinggull Member Posts: 511
    Options

So happy to hear the excellent news! What a relief. Thanks for the update