Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Is it always a big deal

Options
kumphort
kumphort Member Posts: 10
edited February 2022 in Just Diagnosed

I know that I am partly in denial. I only received a cancer diagnosis without the full pathology so not sure what my prognosis is but hoping it will be easy. I know that there was nothing else in the lymph nodes. But am I being unrealistic in thinking that it can be a matter of a “ simple” lumpectomy and then be done.

What is the best case scenario?

Comments

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

Good question. Sorry you are here to ask it. It's always a big deal in the sense that any surgery is a deal to your body, an insult, if you get my drift.

A best case I can think of would be DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) which is irregular cells confined to the milk ducts. It is generally considered pre-cancer. A smallish portion of that, with lumpectomy and follow-up radiation, is something that is fairly minimally disruptive for most people. Even a smaller IDC (cells that are "invasive" or outside of the milk ducts) is not necessarily a huge hairy deal. Both DCIS and IDC might have follow up treatment with hormonal or targeted treatments, so it's not necessarily done after radiation is over.

I also hope yours will be easy. Please let us know what you find out.

• kumphort
    kumphort Member Posts: 10
    Options

thanks for the quick response!

I am still trying to process everything. The truth is that I had multiple spots on one breast. Do they do multiple lumpectomy on one breast or am I already going to be looking at something more extensive

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

Unfortunately I don't know anything about that. I can only guess, it would depend on how closely oriented the spots are. Once you find out more, we can help you sort out your options better.

• bcincolorado
    bcincolorado Member Posts: 4,697
    Options

I am sorry you are here and know you are worried. The final pathology is probably being compiled and will be reviewed with you and your treatment options. I knew I had cancer before I had all my final pathology and the breast surgeon went over it all with me and then we discussed all the options at that point. It may depend on quite a few factors once that is finalized. The biopsy just tells you if it is cancer to start with. Then it goes from there. One of many steps. Hang in there and there are people her to support you. Wishing you the best.

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 185
    Options

hello sweetie everybody is different wait for tall your test and results with oncologist. I hope for them best for you. I found my lump in shower I was then working in medical field first in the O R then had my own office in Peds. So I sort of knew it was cancer but got bossy 2nd opinion and them team decided I needed mast I didn't want it cause I was planning our 2nd marriages wanted lumpectomy but advise from team and them fiancé went for mast. Praise God this yr will be 28yr Survivor. Hang there get 2nd opinion go from there. msphil idc stage2 0/3 nodes 3mo chemo before and after Lmast got married then 7 wks rads and 5yrs on Tamoxifen. It is Doable.