Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Follow-Up Mammogram After Chemo

Krgowl
Krgowl Member Posts: 8

Hi all,

I just finished 6 rounds of TCHP and had a follow-up mammogram (I am scheduled for surgery at the end of February). The mammogram shows the same amount of calcifications that I had BEFORE chemo. Has this happened to anyone else? I had two lumps in my breast and one under my arm that I can no longer feel, so I was at least hoping for shrinkage! Obviously I'm disappointed. My doctor says she is still "optimistic" and that surgery will give us definitive results.

Thanks so much.

Comments

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857

The calcifications are calcium deposits, not live cells. So I'm not sure I would expect it to go away with chemo. BUT I honestly am just guessing. I don't know anything about this! Hopefully someone else will chime in who actually knows something about it. In the meantime, here is the bco link on calcifications.

https://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/types/mammograms/mamm_show/calcifications

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,306

Krgrowl - when you get time, please go to My Profile and posts your diagnosis & treatment to date. It's easier for us to answer questions if we know your history. Good luck

• Krgowl

MinusTwo -- Just updated! I finished TCHP two weeks ago and am scheduled for surgery at the end of the month. I will begin radiation in March.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,306

Kgrowl - in my case, they were able to remove all the cancer & other bad elements during surgery that did not 'disappear' with chemo. I did another couple of chemo rounds after surgery for double protection. Then I had radiation just in case there were things floating around. Then I had herceptin for the rest of a year for insurance. I'm 7 years out from final treatment and still NED (no evidence of disease). Wishing you the same.

• Krgowl

Thank you SO much, MinusTwo! That gives me hope.

• sarahnh
    sarahnh Member Posts: 105

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to post in case anyone else is doing research and ends up here.

I am also HER2+ and did TCHP. There were calcifications associated with my tumor on pre-chemo mammograms. The calcifications remained the same on post-chemo mammograms. I had a lumpectomy and had pCR (no cancer left).

I was blindsided by how much tissue was removed during my lumpectomy. I asked two surgeons why, and both told me that (A) Calcifications usualy do not shrink with chemo, even with a pCR and (B) The calcifications must be removed no matter what.

I wish I had known this before, as I would have opted for mastectomy, instead of the unexpectedly aggressive lumpectomy.