Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hair regrowth

Options

My hair regrowth after chemo has been slow and the hair is very very thin and fragile. What have others found really helps increase their hair strength and growth? Are there over the counter products that work?

Tagged:

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,911
    edited February 2022
    Options

Hi Isenpedot, and welcome to Breastcancer.org.

We're so sorry for the reasons that bring you here, but really glad you've found us. You're sure to find our amazing Community a wonderful source of advice, information, encouragement, and support -- we're all here for you!

You're sure to get some good responses here, but we also wanted to point you to this thread in the Chemotherapy forum called Hair, Hair, Hair, which might offer some good insight and suggestions for you.

We hope this helps and that you find answers soon!

--The Mods

• Rocky41102
    Rocky41102 Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2022
    Options

I finished chemo Jan. 11th so I'm still early on in the regrowth stage! But I've been taking Biotin vitamins. It's the hair, skin, and nails one. I'm only taking half the dose though because I'm still going through radiation. And I use the OGX brand of Biotin and Collagen shampoo and really massage my head when I wash. I also just received a Castor Oil set from Plant Therapy that I'm going to start using. I can't say if any of this is helping anything but my hair that is growing back isn't delicate or anything.

• linsnyed
    linsnyed Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2022
    Options

Look into the Hair Growth Active Products from Chemo Hair and Skin. Found them super helpful during Chemo and scalp cooling to save the majority of hair but was told that taking an AI after can also cause thinning so continuing it.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,911
    edited March 2022
    Options

Welcome linsnyed, and thanks for the helpful suggestion!

The Mods

• dutchiegirl
    dutchiegirl Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi there! I was taking biotin before I was diagnosed and found that it made my hair much thicker. I was taking it for my nails, not my hair, so I stopped taking them. After chemo was done, and my hair started growing back, I was using a shampoo and conditioner called FAST. It's a Canadian company so not sure if this product is available in the U.S. The product was amazing and my hair came back in thicker than before. I'm sure there are other shampoos that have ingredients specific to hair growth. Best of luck to you!

• meow0369
    meow0369 Member Posts: 125
    Options

Hi all! Does anyone know if returning to strong chemo will cause hair to fall out again? I did 12 Taxol's by the end of December and my hair did fall out. I'm currently doing Keytruda and may have to add AC to the mix with 6 weeks in between. My hair has started growing with about an inch of growth.