Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So surgery…. Ernie, meanie, minie, mo.

beginagain22
beginagain22 Member Posts: 100

I am absolutely floored by the number of decisions that this diagnosis creates. Lumpectomy, mastectomy, double mastectomy and the reconstruction options can make a girl dizzy. I have IDC stage 1 ( currently). Tumor is grade 3 and has been called aggressive. Genetic testing has been sent off. Does anyone have any advice for me with the “aggressive” description? I am leaning towards lumpectomy to have a quicker recovery. I have kids at home and don’t relish the thought of not being able to do what I need to. I am afraid that If I go with the lumpectomy with an aggressive cancer that I might not be going far enough to get rid of it. I am also chicken little about general anesthesia. Thoughts

Comments

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited February 2022

There is a huge amount of information in the linked post: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91/topics...

This question gets asked a lot. If you go to the surgery forum, you can read through posts with what other people have asked and answered and get a lot of insight. Also at the top of that forum, this post is linked, with several other links in it: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91/topics...

Aside from that, a lot of the decision making, once past what is required to remove the cancer, is personal preference. Reading what other people have to say will probably help you understand your own feelings and opinions on that. Good luck.

• beginagain22
    beginagain22 Member Posts: 100
    edited February 2022

thank you!

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited February 2022

I went with a lumpectomy mainly because my BS thought I had a wimpy cancer(his words) and I did have early stage BC (Stage 1b, Grade 1. iDC). My cancer wasn’t aggressive so that influenced my decision too.

Check out those links provided and do realize they’d are no right or wrong answers - it’s a personal preference.

To be sure all that information is overwhelming to say the least but do ask questions and do your homework before you go for your appointment. That way you are prepared about what to ask.

Keep us posted. Good luck!

Diab