Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Pelvis and back MRI this week

Hi everyone.

I am three years and three months out from a bilateral mastectomy. I had a 6 cm tumor and 9 positive lymph nodes. I was ER+, PR+, HER2-. I had 16 rounds of chemo and 34 rounds of radiation. I took tamoxifen for a year then switched to anastrozole.

I have been having pain in my lower left back for a few months. My oncologist is concerned because my alkaline phosphatase level is mildly elevated at 134. It was 155 at my rheumatologist’s office in May 2021 but she didn’t flag it so I didn’t think anything about it.

I’m having an MRI and X-ray on my pelvis/back on Wednesday. I’m terrified.

Has anyone had an elevated ALP that wasn’t cancer metastasis?

Thanks so much.

Comments

• halfabanana
    halfabanana Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2022

Hi Leftshark,

I share your concern, as I am in a slightly similar situation. I am 9 years out from diagnosis, having had a mastectomy followed by 5 years on Arimidex. My ALP has been up and down for a few years, but my Onc was never concerned. My gastroenterologist has been following it though, prescribing liver ultrasounds and even a biopsy, partly because of my cancer history, and also because my mother died of liver disease. I recently had some problematic right hip pain, like something was catching from time to time. My primary ordered an X-ray that showed some impingement and suggested PT. A couple of weeks later I started having some burning/tingling in my right foot, so my primary referred me to an Ortho. He said it sounds like some pinched nerves and was just going to send me to PT. When I mentioned my BC history, he sent me for lumbar X-rays. He said it shows some stenosis, and I should go ahead with PT. After 3 sessions, I was feeling even more pain, and the therapist said I should go back to the Ortho. He ordered an MRI of my lumbar. When I asked for it to include my hips he said it isn’t necessary because “we know what’s going on there”. But do we really?? My last ALP a couple of weeks ago was up to 177. I also scheduled a call with my Onc, who seemed unconcerned because I am so far out from diagnosis and my tumor was small. I hate being dismissed.

I’m nervous too, and just like you, would love to hear of others in a similar situation. Let us know how your imaging turns out.

• pamalama
    pamalama Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2022

I am just over 5 years out from my bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction. I didn't have any positive lymph nodes and have been taking tamoxifen religiously for the last 5 years. Last July, my back started hurting off and on sporadically and real mild. I blew it off for a few months until it started becoming more frequent at a slightly higher pain level. I called the MO and they referred me to my PCP. Saw the PCP who gave me muscle relaxants, pain meds and did an x-ray that showed no problems back in November. Again brushed it off until a couple weeks ago. A week or so prior to that I found a more firm lumpy area in the area of my original tumor and messaged the MO about it. She had me come in to be seen for the lump and the back pain came up during the appointment as well. She's now sending me for a mammogram and ultrasound because the insurance denied a breast MRI until those are done first. She's also sending me for an MRI on my thoracic spine, which is tomorrow. I'm very nervous for the potential results from the MRI. The pain is actually just a little above my waist and I'm worried that the area won't be included in a thoracic MRI and maybe she should have ordered a lumbar MRI. I don't really know where the cut off between the two sections is, but just want to be sure the right area is imaged so nothing is inadvertently missed. I couldn't tell if my doctor is thinking this will be a false alarm or if this is going to be bad news, so I've been stressed/tense and I think it's making my back hurt more. I just need answers one way or the other.

• halfabanana
    halfabanana Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2022

Leftshark and Pamalama…..how did your imaging go? I’m hoping they were all clear

• pamalama
    pamalama Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2022

halfabanana- My MRI led to a CT, which is now waiting to see if I need a PET and/or biopsy. How are you doing? Was your imaging ok?