Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Pain post lumpectomy

Options
elamom
elamom Member Posts: 37

Hi all!

Hopefully it’s ok to post this here as I do not have cancer….I had a lumpectomy a couple weeks ago for a suspected Phyllodes tumor that thankfully ended up being just a fast growing firboadenoma.
Because it was suspected to be a phyllodes tumor and was already decent sized, she took wide margins. I have a large incision that is under my breast from one end to the other, but I had barely any discomfort the first week.
Since then though, I have had SO much nerve pain. The majority of my breast is still completely and totally numb, but I am hurting. It's not improving, I honestly think it might be getting worse. Pretty much any move I make adds to it. And staying still doesn’t always help either

It's only been a couple weeks, so hopefully this will get better, but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this?

Comments

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,940
    Options

Are you wearing a bra that keeps you compressed, like a decent sports bra? I used Danskin zip front with removable cups - the cups were necessary. That will keep any swelling down, plus minimize movement. I lived in them for three weeks after my lumpectomy, only removing for showers. I also used a folded soft child's against the incision for extra compression and cushioning.

• elamom
    Options

Alice Bastable,

I am actually still wearing the bra they sent me home in after the surgery. It has a Velcro front closure and the compression definitely helps. It’s a lot worse without it on. I haven’t been sleeping with it, as I thought maybe the incision needed to air out, but maybe I’ll go back to that. Any movement definitely makes it all worse!

I’ll try the extra padding against the incision too. Thanks so much

• Buzzer
    Buzzer Member Posts: 9
    Options

Also post lumpectomy and my surgeon told me to wear the bra all the time for 3 months. I have a sport bra with zip up front and soft. If I go for a long walk I wear my normal sport bra (made for running) and the soft one of top to keep more still.

If pain does not get better I would just call your surgeon and ask.

B

• elamom
    Options

buzzer,

Thank you! I was wondering if it was crazy to still be in the surgical bra almost 3 weeks later. Very reassuring that your surgeon said 3 months. Hope your recovery goes smoothly!

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,940
    Options

Somehow the word "sock" got omitted in my post - don't fold up small children, just one of their socks! 😃

• elamom
    Options

Alicebastable,

Hahaha! I assumed you meant a cloth, but a sock is a better idea. I will try it, thanks!