Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Liver pain

Options

Starting on Valentine's day, I would get a sharp pain in my upper right quadrant of my abdomen. I was sharp and then dull throbbing. No real pattern. Over the past weekend the sharp pain became less frequent but there is general dull pain and its been increasing with frequency. Also sometimes like a pulling pain or pressure. I also have pain in my mid back and left shiulder. My oncologist thought maybe it was my gallbladder but to be sure, we are doing an ultrasound tomorrow.

What did liver pain that ended up being mets feel like?

Comments

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,249
    Options

I was going to ask if you had your gallbladder.

Good look with the scan. Editing to add that gallstones can pass (which causes the pain) and when you're scanned, they may say they see nothing. That is quite common.

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,058
    Options

wallycat: It sounds like gallbladder. I had no pain in my liver when my mets were found. Apparently, the liver doesn't have pain sensors as we think of them. The ultrasound will tell. Fingers crossed.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    Options

I've had pains like that. It turned out to be a fatty liver.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

my liver felt bruised, esp when I pushed in on it under the ribs. While the liver itself has no pain sensors, the capsule surrounding it does, so any lesions which distend the capsule can cause pain. It can also press against the nerves near the diaphragm so you can definitely have pain from issues in the liver.

I hope your us points to a minor and simple cause

• jenjenl
    jenjenl Member Posts: 409
    Options

below are the results from the US - appear to be normal? How accurate are US scans for liver mets? The pain near my rib and back are still there; the pain below my ribs is still there. I'm worried sick.

Findings: Grayscale and color Doppler assessment of the right upper quadrant abdominal structures was performed.

Imaged vascular structures are unremarkable.

Visualized portions of the pancreas are unremarkable.

Liver is normal in size and echogenicity. Echotexture is normal. Contour appears smooth. No hepatic masses are seen. There is normal directional flow the portal vein.

Gallbladder is fluid filled without wall thickening. Common bile duct measures 3mm. No sonographic Murphy's sign was elicited during examination.

The right kidney measures 8.2 cm in length. There is cortical thinning with prominent echogenicity knee renal calyces/pyramids

Impression:

Unremarkable right upper quadrant abdominal ultrasound.

No evidence of cholelithiasis or cholecystitis.

Abnormal sonographic appearance of the right kidney, perhaps medullary nephrocalcinosis? Correlate clinically

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

jenjen, this sounds like they're thinking you might have kidney stones. I hope your dr gets in touch soon and you feel better

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    Options

I'm having US of my liver tomorrow. Same reason, liver side pain for over a year now but I blamed letrozole. I have been on a medication vacation for a month and while all the other aches and pains are gone, the liver area has sharper pain.

Good luck Jenjen. Hopefully just gas or some gastric benign discomfort.

• jenjenl
    Options

Thanks! They're scheduling a CT scan to check. I hope to understand the source of my abdomen pain and mid back pain on both sides - not flank but literally left and right of spine.

Lillyishere - hope your US goes ok and you recieve normal results.

• jenjenl
    Options

They performed a chest, abdomen and pelvis CT scan which came back normal. To be safe, they are ordering a bone scan too.