Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Simple Mastectomy and proud of it!

Options
SalliesMom
SalliesMom Member Posts: 16

Glad I made the decision & proud of it. I have zero tolerance for pain, so anyone as scared as I was can relax. I never had kids because I'm squeamish, so I hope I can give hope to others here. But where's my surgeon? Spent night in hospital but...

No hospital visit. No phone call. No "atta girl". Nothing. Is that normal? Should I assume no news is good news and it was somewhat successful? Folo-up is in 10 days.

Comments

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,053
    edited March 2022
    Options

Congratulations, and hoping for a great prognosis! I would have hoped that your surgeon, or at least one of their team, would have checked in on you in the hospital. If nothing else to tell you your oncotype results, or let you know how the surgery went. We can absolutely hope for "no news is good news".

I would mention the lack of a post-op check at your follow up appointment. Most doctors actually welcome this kind of feedback, for easy ways to help patients feel more confident in their treatments.

• nipab
    nipab Member Posts: 46
    edited March 2022
    Options

SalliesMom, so glad your surgery went well. Mine is in 3 days. My surgeon told me that she will come and talk to me before the surgery, didn't say anything about after. That could be the norm. Plastic surgeon said before and after she will come and see me.

I had lumpectomy six years ago, but that was outpatient, and I was out of the hospital after an hour of surgery, so only nurse was there.

• lalbo
    lalbo Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2022
    Options

I had BMX plus reconstruction. My BS told me that my PS would release me from the hospital, so a doctor would have needed to release you from the hospital, right? Could it have been a colleague??

• SalliesMom
    SalliesMom Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2022
    Options

nipab - just wanted to check in and see how your surgery went. I had my stitches and drain removed yesterday and that was the first time I saw my surgeon since I was wheeled into surgery. But he is such a sweetheart and I so adore him I couldn't be mad. My simple mastectomy wasn't so simple, as he removed seven sentinel nodes but no news was good news as all came out negative. We hugged and now I move onto the next part of this crappy journey. I so hope you have a positive outcome too on this most negative of life experiences. Please let us know. I'm pulling for you.