Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Focal Asymmetry on Screening Mammogram

Options
ivag
ivag Member Posts: 1
edited March 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

I turned to this forum a lot recently after getting an abnormal mammogram report and wanted to just return and relay my personal experience in case it's reassuring to anyone else who's been called back for the same reason. I was called back for a focal asymmetry seen on a 3D mammogram. I got very worried and Googled the hell out of this, and was none the wiser after all my searching. After a diagnostic mammogram with more views and an ultrasound, it turned out to be just overlapping tissue, which I thought was less likely with 3D mammograms but turned out to be the case with me. I will add that the only reason I didn't drive myself insane while waiting for a rescan was the fact that I'd had a clear SonoCine scan six months earlier. Please consider adding SonoCine to your breast screening if there's a facility near you that offers this. It's an automated whole breast ultrasound that can detect tiny cancers and is much better at seeing through dense breast tissue than mammogram (with the exception of calcifications, which I believe ultrasound doesn't see as well). I wish everyone navigating the world of breast health all the very best and am grateful for all of you who've shared your knowledge and experience.