Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hard spot below my port incision scar

Options

Had my port removed at the end of December and recently noticed a small, round, somewhat hard spot about 1/4 inch below the incision scar. I thought I remember reading somewhere that it could be scar tissue from the needles. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this too?

Comments

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited March 2022
    Options

Is it about the size of the port? When I had mine removed, they said they had to trim away some scar tissue that had grown around the port but there's no hardness there now. I don't think it has anything to do with needles, but just the body's natural reaction to a foreign body.

• littlecheese
    littlecheese Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2022
    Options

It’s not that big, probably the size of a small pea. Feels like it could be thickened tissue but ofcourse my mind jumps to swollen lymph node or tumor.

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited March 2022
    Options
    You should ask your doctor about it, especially if it's on the side that had cancer.
  • littlecheese
    edited March 2022
    Options

I have my annual breast exam next week, just looking for some reassurance until then. My oncologist told me to just keep an eye on it. (Not same side as cancer.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,221
    edited March 2022
    Options

littlecheese - I would request an ultrasound of the area - and I am recommending this to rule out a blood clot. Your port removal is pretty recent, but you are also on Tamoxifen, correct? Both of these things can contribute to the formation of a clot at the port site. A US should be able to rule out a vascular anomaly, and also just provide info if this is something that needs further assessment. Another possibility is scar tissue - I have found, through 18 breast cancer related surgeries, and 45 skin cancer surgeries (yes, you read that right...) sometimes the scar tissue can be nodular or raised, and may take time to settle down and flatten. There are some commercial silicone scar mediators that can hasten that process - I use Biocorneum, recommended by my PS. Another possibility is a suture granuloma, meaning that your body has interpreted one of the dissolvable sutures as a foreign invader and decided to coat it repeatedly, but the US should be able to discern whether that is the case. Good luck!

• littlecheese
    edited March 2022
    Options

Thanks @specialk! Sometimes hard not to jump to the worst conclusion. Grateful for this group and the many voices of reason

• littlecheese
    edited March 2022
    Options

Had my annual breast exam and they were able to squeeze me in for an ultrasound - fat necrosis or oil cyst. Whew! Thankful they understand the anxiety we go through and were able to do itand give me the results right away.

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited March 2022
    Options

Glad you got good news, littlecheese!