Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Looking like a long "before" surgery. Merde

Options
sarahmaude
sarahmaude Member Posts: 336

I'm feeling like a yoyo. On Monday I thought I'd be referred to an NCI center for evaluation and surgery. Yesterday afternoon, I heard back that UAB is 2 months backlogged on DIEP procedures and that with the DVT in my arm that happened from the breast MRI needle stick, I am not a candidate at this time. I'm on Xarelto for 3-6 months, and it takes a while for the clots to dissipate. I'm tired of learning fun things like "blood thinners" aren't. They are really just anti-clotting. It takes time fore the clots to resolve, and meanwhile, I'm at risk for uncontrolled bleeding.

When I saw the MO, I was assured the clot wouldn't delay my surgery, but I think she was thinking about a 30 minute lumpectomy, not a 5+ hour DIEP.

Now, as of today, I think I'll be starting Arimidex immediately to freeze and perhaps even shrink my tumor. If that works out, I can perhaps still do a lumpectomy and reduction locally. Regardless, I apparently need a few weeks on hold for the DVT to get to a point that I'm not at risk of pulmonary embolism during surgery.

A month ago, I thought of myself as a perfectly healthy, young-for-my-age person. I have always been the problem solver at work and for my family. I'm all for personal growth, but dang, this is not a path I'd design for anyone.

Anyone else done neoadjuvant endocrine therapy?

I'm also taking this time to try to trim some of my pandemic/teleworking weight. And restart my walking habit. Sigh. I'm determined to make lemonade, even if it's kind of sour.

Comments

• 4Urglory
    4Urglory Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi Sarahmaude, I could really relate on how you feel about the waiting time for surgery... I have to wait until March 28 for my Rt Mastectomy d/t no available sync sched between the Onco & Plastic Surgeon. So until then I have been focusing to improve my diet, excercise and rest habit, to prepare for my surgery & to a healthier Me. And most of all to my daily bible reading and prayers to God Almighty for complete healing,

• sarahmaude
    Options

4urglory, I'm hopeful by the time you have your surgery you are able to begin the lifestyle changes to move to a healthier you going forward. Seems like a good plan as we wait!

• beginagain22
    beginagain22 Member Posts: 100
    Options

SarahMaude, keep your chin up. Sour lemonade just needs strawberries or a bit of rum. The waiting is the WORST! I am right there with you and we will come out of this with our feet on the road to recovery. I have been trying to eat better too but I can’t stop with the jelly beans. One of my best friends is a priest and I made him laugh until he snorted last night when I said I was giving up my boobs for lent😁. Better things are on the way

• sarahmaude
    Options

I’m glad my Sprite Zero is in the other side of the room or I’d have snorted it all over my iPad! Giving up my boobs for Lent indeed! Now I can’t help by thinking of reconstruction as an Easter sunrise service. Emphasis on the rise of course! I’m glad to see that BC hasn’t sacrificed our sense of humor.

I like the idea of strawberry lemonade. And rum. My brother left a nice bottle here last time he visited.

• beginagain22
    beginagain22 Member Posts: 100
    Options

SM,

glad I could share a laugh! Strawberry lemonade rum tody it is, right after we evict our parasitic hanger-oners. Well, once we ditch the narcotics, no need to go out in a blaze Belushi style

• sarahmaude
    Options

BA, yep, I unintentionally had a glass of wine years ago while on post shouldersurgery Vicodin. Not good. Glad I don’t like living in a mind altered state, cause that was one swooshy experience. Never again.