Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anemia from inflammation

Options
Deamo1
Deamo1 Member Posts: 25

I have mets to my bones. I've got severe anemia from it. My hemoglobin is 7.7. My Dr just gave me my first shot of Aranesp. They won't give a transfusion until my hemoglobin is under 7. Does Aranesp work and when? I can't even get the strength to walk to the bathroom.

Comments

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited March 2022
    Options

Aranesp injection won't work quickly, unlike a transfusion. I believe it can take a month or so.

What treatment are you on? My low Hgb is due to treatment.

My Hgb is 8.0 so I feel you! I've been managing so long as I go slowly. Also I make sure to get 1-1.5 mg of protein/kg of body weight daily & that's been helping. I did over 5k steps acc to my fitbit yesterday. One 30 min walk with my dog & lots of little short bursts of energy around the house.

I hope you feel better soon! I know that just recently when I was around 8.5 I was dragging myself around - I swear I gradually almost became acclimated to it.

• Deamo1
    edited March 2022
    Options

I'm on exemestane and ibrance. I can't even walk 20ft. I will look at my protein but I think I'm over that.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited March 2022
    Options

I think Ibrance can cause low RBCs. Pretty sure I know at least one other member whose RBCs tanked on Ibrance but with the message board being under construction I can't easily search.

Have you been on Ibrance long?

• Deamo1
    edited March 2022
    Options

No i've been on Ibrance only 1 month. This has been going on for at least 3 months (when I was only on Tamoxifen at the time)

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    edited March 2022
    Options

Interesting that no blood transfusion until you get to 7. I got one at 7.5 and I felt so much better. then a few years ago I experienced a few months of severe anemia when my cancer bloomed in my bone marrow ( it occurred after a brief stint on tamoxifen and then a severe virus) and I needed blood transfusions every few days for a few months. it got as low as 5.8 and I could barely get dressed- I did get "used" to having lower numbers or maybe my hemoglobin just got more efficient. are all the other numbers in your blood test normal? there may be some other subtle changes to give a clue to the cause of your anemia. keep a close watch until it gets better- mine rapidly declined at times and it wasn't always easy for me to tell with symptoms since with covid times I was mostly staying home.

• Deamo1
    edited May 2022
    Options

I hear ya!