Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Simple mastectomy yes after DMX

castigame
castigame Member Posts: 336

had skin sparing DMX 5yrs ago. Due to atypical vascular proliferation, had simple mastectomy done on the bad side a week ago. Got over the psychological damage OK. But the pain from the simple surgery is unreal.

No drain, just medical glued the scar. The Surgeon told me it would be tight. Maybe the area is smaller it is more concentrated pain signals to my brain?. It is like constant tooth pain. It does not help I cannot do Flexirouch pump. No epsom salt bath either. Tramadol prescribed is no use. Pray every waking moment it will go away.

If anyone of you were in similar misfortune like me, please help

Comments

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited April 2022
    Have you talked to your doctor? If the pain medication is not working they should be able to give you something else. And if the pain does not slowly improve over the next week or so, they need to check your surgery site to make sure nothing is wrong.
  • obsolete
    obsolete Member Posts: 333
    edited May 2022

Hi Mimi, I'm so sorry about your ongoing pain. Although parakeets gave you good sound advice, I would add that if you feel chilled, feverish or see any pink or redness, you might go to urgent care. You can try taking CBD oil orally to take the edge off until you seek care.

I had experienced stabbing pain after the lumpectomy from cellulitis infection. Also a seroma had caused this constant pulling around the incision which lasted months. Although after I had the BMX (involved margins) with drains, I had little to no discomfort, which was the opposite. Coincidentally I had 3cm+ Grade-2 Invasive Papillary but mixed with Mucinous & IDC.

Wishing you healing, less pain & healthier springtime days going forward. Hugs

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited May 2022

Castigame please have a discussion with your doctor. Perhaps different medication for pain management will help (I am thinking Gabapentin which helps with nerve pain) or an evaluation to see if there is some nerve impingement somewhere. It is possible your skin has become hyper sensitized I had that at my first surgery and it is miserable. Compression bras helped in fact were the only thing I could stand against my skin. Hope you get some relief quickly.

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    edited May 2022

I was a crybaby. Pain was intense for about three days. All gone except infrequent nerve pain for about 3 sec which comes and goes. Most importantly pathology came back with no s(f)uckers. Yes little brand new scar along with the expected additional PTSD. But if this is price I have to pay I will pay gladly. Did Epsom salt bath and flexitouch pump last weekend.

Living must go on. After all, I am the daughter of late pop who lived to be 94 after two consecutive strokes (within 30 days) at 89. He weighed 75 pounds I think. And Pneumonia at 90. And mom who was given six months to a year from Ovarian suckers followed by breast cancer (stage 0).