Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Facedown Rx Causes Fewer Skin SEs in Women W/ Large Breasts

Options

Lying Facedown for Radiation Therapy Causes Fewer Skin Side Effects in Women With Large Breasts
June 2, 2022
During external whole-breast radiation therapy for breast cancer, women with large breasts who lay facedown had fewer skin side effects than women who lay faceup. Read more...

Comments

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2022
    Options

Just anecdotally, I have large breasts (was DD before lumpectomy, now C+ or D- on that side, and I had no skin issues from 33 sessions on my back, beyond getting very mildly pink and dry.

• sarahmaude
    sarahmaude Member Posts: 336
    edited June 2022
    Options

I’m very interested in more information than the 5th grade level summary that the link above referenced. The journal article is pay walled. I have DD breasts and will start rads next month. Also don’t need nodes radiated. How does the prone setup work? Does it require a different table? Is the treatment equally effective? How likely is it this article will change treatment options in non research clinics?

• sarahsmilesatme
    sarahsmilesatme Member Posts: 53
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hello (again!). I didn’t take a look at the article from the mods; but wanted to comment as I had radiation in the prone position (facedown). I don’t have dense breasts, but since it was my left breast being radiated, my RO indicated that this position may help to keep the heart and lungs from the radiation field. As I recall (my radiation was in 2020), if I wanted to lie on my back, he also mentioned the alternative of breath assist (a technique to hold my breath) which also helps to move the heart from the radiation field. I chose the prone position.

The prone position table was similar to the table / equipment used during my MRI. You lie face down, your back is covered, and your breast hangs down. During radiation, I didn’t find the radiation table uncomfortable, but my ribs (both left and right) were tender for months, and I’ve often wondered if it was due to the position, the boards / foam used, etc. I didn’t spend a lot of time researching; just wanted to start radiation so I would be finished! Hope this helps !