Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone Heard of the SWIM Breast Reconstruction Technique?

Options
robynfrog
robynfrog Member Posts: 1
edited June 2022 in Breast Reconstruction

SWIM stands for skin-sparing wise-pattern internal mammary perforator. The procedure combines a nipple-sparing mastectomy with a breast reduction. Blood flow to the nipple is preserved, all breast mammary tissue is removed, and the leftover skin and fat from the original breast and surrounding area is folded to create a new breast.

I couldn't find this technique on this website in their section about breast reconstruction during/after mastectomy. Does anyone here know anything about it? Has anyone here tried it? Digging around for info on the internet; it looks like it would work well for women with large breasts (me).

Comments

• svensmom
    svensmom Member Posts: 1
    Options

I'm also interested in hearing of anyone's experience with SWIM. It seems like this is an update to the Goldilocks procedure, which uses the breast skin to create a mound after a mastectomy and traditionally does not keep the nipples. I wonder how often the nipples survive with sensation using SWIM.