Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Mammogram

kleenie
kleenie Member Posts: 2

Just a little background. I'm almost 61. I was diagnosed in November of 2012. ILC 1 cm so stage 1 grade 2, left breast. I had a lumpectomy and 6 weeks of radiation. I have a mammogram every June and an MRI every December. I'm considered higher risk because my mom had breast cancer and my dad had prostate cancer plus I have dense breasts. I had my mammogram on Monday. I must got the call that I have to go back for more and possibly an ultrasound. I know in my head it is probably nothing but I can't help but have those old feelings come rushing back. I guess I just needed to vent and maybe be talked off the ledge. LOL

Comments

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 639
    edited June 2022

Hi kleenie, I understand why you feel those old scared feelings rush back, we all do! When I was constantly having biopsies and call backs before I was diagnosed I felt the same way. What helped me through was knowing that they were keeping a close eye on things and feeling like it would be caught earlier! Plus anytime you have a history behind you I think sometimes even normal things cause extra imaging. I know it's very hard to get ahead of ourselves, its only natural. Try your best to take one step at a time and remind yourself you are in good hands! Best wishes.

• kleenie
    kleenie Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2022

Thank you Cookie. I know in my head the odds of this being anything is so slim. I'm so happy I'm scanned twice a year. I just need to focus on everything you just said. I have my additional scans and possible ultrasound this afternoon so by tonight I should be able to breath a sigh of relief.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 639
    edited June 2022

Ok good, keep us posted. Sending positive vibes for good results.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,077
    edited July 2022

Bless you for having yearly MRI'S!!!! I am definitely NOT a baby when it comes to medical testing but I had ONE breast MRI and NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!!!

I found it to be the most frightening test I ever had and I asked them to back me out at one point. I needed a lot of encouragement to go back in and finish. MRI's are bad enough laying on my back, but on my stomach, well, lets just say I closed my eyes and tried to stay calm! I was at a very well-known cancer hospital and they were wonderful, it was just me! Ugh!

Getting screened twice a year is a sure way to catch anything early. I had a single mastectomy due to having breast cancer twice in same breast. My breast surgeon refused to remove both breasts because I wasn't BRCA +. Looking back, it probably was the best way to go for me. I am in my late 60's, still work full time and enjoy my life. I tried AI, Letrozole for 6 months and quit. I am not at all fearful of getting breast cancer again. That said, while I am over-due by a few months, for my yearly mammogram, I did make an appointment with a breast surgeon at a local hospital for yearly check ups and mammograms. The local hospital found my cancer both times and it is so much more convenient than traveling to the city. Also, much less depressing!

Kleenie, I hear you about family history! I had IDC dx in June 2003, my mother had IDC dx in July 2003, my oldest sister had IDC dx in June 2004, and at same time dx of non-Hodgekins lymphoma!!! Then I got ILC dx in Dec 2018, surgery in Jan 2019, and my second oldest sister got IDC dx in March 2019.

I went through genetic counseling and extensive testing in the summer of 2020, no genetic defects were detected! Crazy, right??? I highly recommend the genetic counseling for anyone considering genetic testing. The counselors are so informative!

Kleenie, I wish you the best! You are a trooper! I always thought the wait between tests was the worst part of having breast cancer.