Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Infection after bilateral mastectomy

nsimpson1004
nsimpson1004 Member Posts: 1

I had a bilateral mastectomy on May 31st and wow that totally sucked. Really underestimated the pain involved. Anyways I have a 6 month old baby which I had lined up family and friends to come over and help me with lifting and carrying her and such. It was so hard to not hold her like I have since she was born. I will admit i picked her up a couple times in the first 2 weeks once I could move without crying. My visiting nurse noticed some redness on my left side which is the cancer side just below my incision. I was put on another antibiotic since I was already on one since the surgery. It has progressively spread and is now at the point where fluid is accumulated. I am now picking her up all the time now and don't have much of choice. It is so uncomfortable and I just want it fixed. I feel like the antibiotics clearly are not doing anything. I have a recheck with ps next week. Had anyone experienced this before? It's red,swollen and warm to touch. I have not felt ill or sick at all. No fever.

Comments

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited June 2022

Nsimpson I am sorry you are having these complications. I think you need to be seen by the PS right away as this isn't resolving. You are such a short period out after this surgery - all that lifting is not helping you heal.

Some of us do have quite a bit of pain after mastectomy the nerves can become hyper sensitized. That can get better and there are definitely medications such as Gabapentin that can help. Please see your doctor to discuss all these issues but especially the redness and swelling.

• ratherbesailing
    ratherbesailing Member Posts: 118
    edited June 2022

I'm with rah2464, please get it checked it out now. You might have an infection type that does not respond to the antibiotics you are on, and it's possible to have a cellulitis infection without feeling sick.

If you are worried about arranging care for your baby, you might consider taking selfies of the redness to send your PS via the portal or email. Also, photos on a regular basis might show the spread.

Hope you get it resolved!