Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Prosthetic fit in normal sports bras and bathing suits

Options

I am having a mastectomy July 6th and was wondering as I love swimming and aquafit. Do you need to get a special bathingsuit? or can you put prosthetic in a bathingsuit you already have. Also I wear sports bras and you can take the padding out when washing them. Does prosthesis fit in sport bras?

Comments

• sunnidays
    sunnidays Member Posts: 153
    Options

I had terrible trouble with this, in the end, the best swim suite was one you could tie behind your neck, the issue is that a swim prosthesis is heavy and when you put it in and pull up your swimsuit it is really difficult, for your sports bras try putting the prosthesis in and see does it stay in place while exercising, try this at home first as it might be embarrassing if it moved in a class.

• ratherbesailing
    ratherbesailing Member Posts: 118
    Options

I used the Amoena Aqua Wave for swimming and AquaFit. Put it in a Speedo - don't remember the model, but it had a very small opening in the bra top for the thin pads that come in the suit. C cup prosthesis was flexible enough to fit through the opening and the suit had enough support that it worked well, despite the weight.

• Luckynumber47
    Luckynumber47 Member Posts: 53
    Options

I had to be really careful with the neckline of my bathing suits. V neck suits that would normally show a bit of cleavage look unnatural after mastectomy, especially with prosthetics inserted. I try to buy blouson type tankini tops or ones with higher necks and don’t bother with prosthetics. The built in cups add a little bump and that’s enough to fool the eye.

Surprisingly I got my favorite sports bra from Walmart, Danskin brand. Prosthetics fit in fine and it zipped up in front. Shop around, you’ll find something you like.

Now that I’m 6 years down the road I rarely wear prosthetics. Just too much bother.

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options

I haven't had any trouble using my existing suits. I've been using trimmed down shower poofs stuffed into the pocket and it works fine and looks pretty good. I don't really give a crap if it doesn't look 100% natural or that you can sometimes tell up close that there's a gap between the suit and my skin. If somebody cares that's not my problem!

With sports bras I used knitted knockers and those work well too.

• lynn1234
    lynn1234 Member Posts: 90
    Options

i bought a mastectomy swim suit from Lands end and so far it fits really well. We’ll see what happens when i actually get wet! The neckline is a little higher and there is a pocket for my one prosthesis. I have metastatic bc so I’m not even sure if i should get in a pool. I was told at one point to avoid swimming pools bc my WBC is on the low side

• lynn1234
    Options

Regarding sports bras….the prosthesis is too heavy for the sports bra. You’ll look lopsided. Try the sports bra with a pad and some stuffing. I am jogger. I jog 1.5 miles every day and i just wear a regular bra and the prosthesis. Very comfortable

• lynn1234
    Options

i bought a mastectomy swim suit from Lands end and so far it fits really well. We'll see what happens when i actually get wet! The neckline is a little higher and there is a pocket for my one prosthesis. I have metastatic bc so I'm not even sure if i should get in a pool. I was told at one point to avoid swimming pools bc my WBC is on the low side

• windwalker27
    windwalker27 Member Posts: 54
    Options

Ladies,

I just had my unilateral mastectomy yesterday. I need a prosthesis. What websites would you recommend to purchase from? I really appreciate your input

• txlorelei
    txlorelei Member Posts: 68
    Options

For a couple months after surgery I wore forms from bustedtank.com that were fairly inexpensive.

After I healed, my insurance paid for silicone forms that I got from a local medical boutique. My doctor actually wrote a prescription for these so you might want to ask yours for information.

• ratherbesailing
    ratherbesailing Member Posts: 118
    Options

Another possibility for sport bras is the polyster-fill prostheses. They're very lightweight, and you can add and subtract the fill to adjust the size a bit.

https://www.damozelle.com/p-amoena-fiberfill-post-...

• windwalker27
    Options

thank you guy

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options
    I got some knitted knockers and they are great. You can request them for free on their website. I never bought anything else!
  • windwalker27
    Options

Thank you Parakeetsrule! Just ordered.