Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone regret having a mastectomy??

Options
jenna2500
jenna2500 Member Posts: 6

hi everyone......has anyone regret having their mastectomy surgery? if given the choice between lumpectomy or mastectomy? im just having a hard time deciding. i know i dont want the hormone therapy pill.

thanks.

I'm ER+ PR+ HER2-

Comments

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421
    edited July 2022
    Options

Hi jenna, I chose a mastectomy and do not regret it. In hindsight I would have had a double, as my cancer returned in my remaining breast. I had hormone therapy for 3 years with minimum side effects before progression. However, we are all different and must try and make the best decision for our physical and mental circumstances . Good luck , whatever you decide.

• rrobin0200
    rrobin0200 Member Posts: 80
    edited July 2022
    Options

I do not regret having a double mastectomy, but I DO wish I had my nipples removed. At the time (5+ years ago,) I wasn’t fully educated on nipple tattoos etc., so I chose to keep my own. Nipple tattoos have come such a long way, and they look so natural.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,946
    edited July 2022
    Options

Hi Jenna!

May we suggest that you check out the following article from our main site: Mastectomy vs. Lumpectomy.

We know it's not easy, but hope we can all help you make the best decision along with your medical team. Keep us posted.

The Mods

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited July 2022
    Options

Jenna

I have no regrets. You just really need to be sure you do what you want. I will tell you that I did mourn my breasts at first, but I had just finished treatment and my emotions were all over the place. I was good by the six week mark.

I was also lucky in that the recovery was quite easy for me. The most bothersome and annoying part were the five drains.

It's a very personal choice and not an easy one to have to make.

I hope you find peace in whichever procedure you choose.

Best wishes to you!