Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

tests before chemotherapy

tsquare
tsquare Member Posts: 19

what are the tests done after surgery and diagnosis and before starting chemo treatment for positive nodes?

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,232
    edited July 2022

Have you already had surgery? Was a sentinel node biopsy done? If an SNB was done they usually have the pathology done while you’re still in surgery. In many cases, if positive nodes turn up a complete axillary node dissection can be done though not always. There are no other tests that I am aware of that can indicate positive nodes, however the axillary area can be targeted during rads. There can be a lot of individual variation so it’s best to check with your mo to have your questions answered. Take care.

• tsquare
    tsquare Member Posts: 19
    edited July 2022

@exbrnxgrl thank you for responding. I had 3/3 positive nodes, and was wondering if they do some tests to know if there is more , how many, .. so we know what is the scale of what we are treating..... Lots of questions for my MO.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,232
    edited July 2022

tsquare,

You are very welcome. To be honest, I am unaware of any other way test to see if more lymph nodes are positive other than removing them. Many times if sentinel nodes are positive during surgery then an axillary node dissection will be done while the patient is still under anesthesia. The number of nodes can vary as the nodes are kinds wrapped in a bundle and can’t be counted until pathology dissects them. For instance, I had a total of 15 nodes removed during my ALND but someone else might have only 13.That was the case in my situation but as you may have already discovered, there are many variables that go along with each individual situation. Take care