Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Waiting for hormone therapy. Worried about side effects

Options
jankw
jankw Member Posts: 3

Hi I had a lumpectomy, intraoperative radiotherapy and a sentinel lymph node biopsy 2 weeks ago. I was told the high level analysis of the biopsy at the time of the surgery was clear but this needs to be confirmed after an in-depth analysis has been undertaken. I get the results of that next week. I've been told I'll need hormone therapy. I take statins for high cholesterol. I'm just worried if the side effects are as bad as they say. I've heard so many negative stories. Just wondered if anyone has any positive experiences. Or how they have successfully dealt with any unpleasant side effects. I'm taking the treatment no matter how it affects me because the benefits far outweigh any side effects.

Comments

• malebreastc
    malebreastc Member Posts: 89
    edited July 2022
    Options

I have been on statins and hormonal therapy for 14 years with no side effects or drug interac

• quietgirl
    quietgirl Member Posts: 165
    edited July 2022
    Options

sadly there is no way to know who is going to have horrible side effects, who will have livable ones and who will have few or none. I have only been on Anastrozole since April and other than some headaches the first week, I have nothing to speak of. That doesn’t mean I have the illusion that I will never experience anything just right now it’s good (and I’m on multiple other medications so it’s always balancing out if I start to take something).

• kampiecutie
    kampiecutie Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2022
    Options

I took Arimidex when I had my first breast cancer 18 years ago. The tumor was weakly positive for estrogen. But I think it helped as I didn't have a new cancer for 18 years. I found taking Arimidex I was so achy. I was very active but still I had such bone pain. I did lose bone density which with medication during helped. The once off no problems. Fast forward to now and I am beginning Letrozole. I am concerned about the bone pain and bone loss possibly to come as now that I am older it could be more challenging. I'm giving it a try…just am concerned. Hope this helps.