Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Elevated ferritin?

Options

hi all! I had my annual check up with my PCP in July. Everything was ok, only thing he showed concern about was my ferritin level. The normal range goes up to 150 and mine was 350. So not off the charts high but he definitely wants me to follow up when I see my MO at the end of this month.

He mentioned some things that can cause increased ferritin and of course cancer is one of the things, so I’m not freaking out yet but a little worried.

Anyone have experience with elevated ferritin?

Comments

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 367
    edited September 2022
    Options

I have. I don't know for sure but we had just moved and I think it was the well water. It went down when we moved again. It can also be a sign "that you have a condition that causes your body to store too much iron. It could also point to liver disease, rheumatoid arthritis, other inflammatory conditions or hyperthyroidism." Cancer isn't usually the culprit in fact and no one ever suggested it to me when I had it. It's just too much stored iron. Hell from what I've read even menopause can cause it to elevate and goodness knows that's a common thing for all of us with breast cancer. Maybe your body is experiencing some metabolic change due to the treatment you had. Anyway you can easily get your blood drawn to bring it down. Some medications do it, too. Definitely need to get it checked out since it's new but truly I don't think too much anxiety is warranted. I was in my late 30's when I had it and it just went away eventually. Probably my diet. Think about your diet, too. Any new supplements, new thing you're eating, etc?

• Taralynn
    Taralynn Member Posts: 45
    edited September 2022
    Options

Thanks so much Kay! Yes it’s definitely new for me so I’m glad it was pointed out and I’m definitely going to follow up. Since My treatments ended almost a year ago I have taken new supplements, been cleaning up my diet, all things I thought were good for me lol! My PCP suggested I cut out the new things I’ve been doing and cut back on iron rich foods and see what my bloodwork shows The end of this month. Not thrilled with that recommendation as the changes I’ve made have helped me in other ways! But, I guess we’ll see!!!

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 367
    edited September 2022
    Options

Iron is a tricky one. You only need just enough because if you store it, your organs hate it. So yes I would follow the advice of your GP and cut back on your iron rich foods and supplements especially if they were implemented this past year. They could easily be the culprit.