Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Post Lumpectomy and SNB - 6 days - Shakti Mat use?

Options
corry_west
corry_west Member Posts: 1
edited September 2022 in Lymphedema

Hi And I’m sorry to be joining this group.

Six days ago had surgery for 2.5mm lump and sentinal node biopsy. I still have swelling around the incision and a lot of soreness. Don’t have a review until another four days and wondered if this was normal? Have good arm movement.

Also wondered if anyone had used a Shakti mat. I don’t want to stimulate too much lymph fluid and then risk lymphoedema?

Any thoughts. Hope everyone is travelling as well as can be expected

Comments

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hi Corry wanted to respond to you. Sorry you find yourself here but glad your lumpectomy and SNB is completed, thats a great step to have taken. It is normal to have minor swelling and discomfort - your tissues have been through a lot. Redness, heat, increasing pain not ok. Thats a discussion with your doctor to determine if there is infection.

As to doing things to stimulate the lymphatic fluid movement I think you should have a direct conversation with your surgeon. I know when I went through my surgery 4 1/2 years ago the thought process was to allow some healing for 1-2 weeks then very slowly add in movement. What I am unsure of is how much that was based in research and knowledge given that lymphedema gets very little notice in medical school. Protocols may have changed and your surgeon should be able to guide you.

What you can do is walk. That will gently move lymph until you get approval to add in easy arm movements. My best to you for a speedy recovery