Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Pregnant while metastatic?

rachel_h
rachel_h Member Posts: 1

Hello. This is probably not a common topic but I wasn't sure where else to vent/ask. Has anyone gotten pregnant while on MBC treatment? I recently took a home preg test not expecting anything, but it's showing an extremely faint positive so I'm panicking & going to see my ob-gyn to check it out. I've only met one lady with MBC who stopped all treatment to go through pregnancy & stayed NEAD, but we haven't kept in touch. Her experience was very atypical though, so I don't expect that the same would happen to me. I've had stable MBC de novo for almost 3 years. I had many mets when initially diagnosed. My current treatment is Herceptin and Perjeta every 3 weeks, which I think I would have to get off of if I went through a pregnancy. I don't want to get off my treatment since they've been keeping me stable for so long & with tolerable side effects. I just wanted to vent somewhere. Has anyone else faced a similar situation?

Comments

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,656
    edited September 2022

Rachel, I have no experience with what you’re going through, but I wanted to tell you I’ll be thinking of you. Please come back and let us know how you’re doing.

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited September 2022

Rachel, I don't have any experience either, but you'll be you in my thoughts. <3

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,068
    edited September 2022

Rachel - I don't have any experience either, but I feel for you.

There's a Young with MBC thread from the Thursday zoom call group (for under 45 with MBC, I think). You might find someone with similar experience or concerns there. I want to say I hope this is a false alarm, but maybe that's not what you really want. Wishing you the best of luck either way. Let us know what you find out.

ETA the link - https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/872798

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited September 2022

I'm not currently with a partner so this hasn't been a concern, if you know what I mean. But it's definitely something I've thought about. I have an IUD and plan to keep it for as long as possible. One of the drugs I'm taking is known to cause fetal defects and my oncologist just this Wednesday popped into the infusion room to double-check that I was aware of this! I would probably have to terminate if I did get pregnant. My cancer is in the pleura and was causing fluid buildup before I started treatment, so that would likely start up again if I stopped treatment. But I honestly couldn't say for sure what I'd do. I might stop treatment for a while and see how it goes.

You can try asking about this in the Facebook group called "closed metastatic (stage iv) breast cancer support group". Ther was a woman there a few months ago who got pregnant with twins and intended to keep them. But she hasn't posted for a while so I don't know how it went. She was already very sick so I can't imagine it was going well unfortunately.