Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cording

trv4764
trv4764 Member Posts: 22

It’s been almost 3 weeks since my lumpectomy and SNB. I started having pain in my arm a few days ago and then noticed the cording. Does this ever go away on its own? I’m doing exercises at home but can’t get into physical therapy for another 3 weeks. In the grand scheme of things, I’m sure this is nothing compared to what I’m about to endure during chemo and radiation, but it’s causing a lot of distress right now. Anyone else dealing with this?

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,742
    edited September 2022

I don’t know if cording goes away without PT but perhaps you could ask your PT’s office for advice while you’re waiting for your appointment. My surgery was 11 years ago so my memory is fuzzy on some things but my cording did go away and I probably had to wait a week or two for my first PT appointment. Take care

• cyathea
    cyathea Member Posts: 330
    edited September 2022

trv4764, I had cording after surgery two years ago. I started doing exercises at home, but had to go to PT for my frozen shoulder and lymphedema. The lymphedema massage is really what helped my cording. The therapist used various tools as well as her thumbs to knead the cording. It was painful, but I always felt better when she was done. I hope you can find a good PT person who will help you as well

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited September 2022

try4764 I will echo what cyathea says. My cording didn't go away on its own, I needed massage therapy with my lymphatic massage therapist. I did have one of the cords snap loose on its own which was a very strange experience. Be aware as well that the massage therapy to resolve them can be a bit uncomfortable. Sorry you are having to deal with it. They truly do not know why some people develop it and some don't. What I wonder is if the presence of cording post surgery indicates higher risk for development of lymphedema, since I now have that. Worth a convo with your massage therapist and perhaps some proactive measures.