Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Calcifications question

Options
wea09
wea09 Member Posts: 6
edited September 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hello,

I had a mammogram due to my gyn finding a lump. While the lump turned out to just be fibrous changes, they consequently found that I have regional amorphous calcifications bilaterally. I was given a Birads3 score. Everything I’ve read online indicates that amorphous should be considered for biopsy. I am just curious if anyone has had a similar experience. I don’t know if the fact that they are bilateral means they present less of a risk I already have a follow up appointment to discuss and I’m not super worried as I know even with a Birads4 my risk is super low. Just curious about other peoples experiences with amorphous calcifications not leading to biopsy.

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options
    Hi! Hopefully you'll get some answers at your follow up. I'm not sure you'll get what you're looking for from here. Since everyone here has or had cancer, there's not a lot of people who had symptoms like yours that turned out to be nothing. Our symptoms and mammograms all turned out to not only need a biopsy, but were cancer.
  • wea09
    Options

I'm sorry. After reading through this particular thread, I thought this was the place to post questions for people who have not been diagnosed but just had general concerns regarding tests or symptoms. Thank you for the response, anyways!!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,903
    Options

Dear wea09, we're sorry you are here and worried about your breast's health, but glad you found us! Yes, you've posted in the correct forum. It is true that the majority of members in our community have been diagnosed, but also many have been through similar situations to yours before. We hope some of them read your post and are able to give you answers and advice.

Good luck! Please, come back and let us know how are you going!

The Mods

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options
    I didn't say you can't post! Of course you can. :) I was just letting you know you may not get responses with the positive result you're looking for, because of the type of members we have here. Hopefully you do!
  • kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 366
    Options

I had some calcifications. No idea if they were amorphous or not but I was told specifically by my surgeon that they look suspicious for DCIS. Since I was getting a double mastectomy they didn't worry about further testing but decided to wait until after my pathology report came in. The calcifications were not DCIS and were actually in benign tissue. I had cancer, but not in that spot. Anyway just a reminder that yes, calcifications can sometimes be benign changes even when they look suspicious.

• wea09
    Options

Just wanted to update

I had my follow up mammogram. There was a small discrepancy in the report that ended up not being an issue but the way it was handled frustrated me. This lead to me transferring my care to another breast center, which is a much larger and highly regarded healthcare system.They asked if I wanted them to review the images for a second opinion and I said sure.

I received results on Monday. They have changed my Birads from a 3 to 4 and have ordered a biopsy. The soonest I could get in was next Friday. I’m sure I’ll experience some anxiety over the next few weeks but I also feel relieved to finally have some answers one way or the other.

New mammogram report posted below in case anyone has had similar findings and wants to share their story with me. Reading through these forums has helped me tremendously.

“There are fine pleomorphic and round calcifications with

segmental distribution and associated focal asymmetry seen in

the posterior third of the right breast at 10 o'clock, upper

outer located 7 centimeters from the nipple. Finding remains

unchanged from the prior study. Calcifications extend 8.2 cm in

greatest dimension. This was given BIRADS 3 assessment at

outside facility. There has been no change from 7/21/22.

Segmental distribution and associated focal asymmetry make this

area suspicious.”