Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation Dermatitis severe

Options

Hello Everyone,

I was diagnosed with a reoccurrence after 7 years. I had a lymph node dissection on July 8th. I finished 16 rounds of radiation on September 23. I started to develop burns by end of week 2. It has gotten progressively worse. I have seen my radiologist twice since because all the "treatments" aren't working. I have such severe itching that I cannot even go to work. I was just prescribed doxepin cream but my pharmacy is out and I have to wait until Monday. I am going absolutely insane from the itching. I used Miaderm during all my treatments and Aquafor. I then got 2.5 hydrocortisone but it doesn't help. Now I use silver sulfadiazine for promote healing from the open wounds and then Lidocaine.

Please any suggestions on how to control this itching. I am at my wits' end and am thinking about hospitalization.

Comments

• orangeflower
    orangeflower Member Posts: 94
    edited October 2022
    Options

Have they suggested gabapentin?

• Fe_Princess
    Fe_Princess Member Posts: 125
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hi Orangeflower, I did try it but it did not help.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited October 2022
    Options

Try a sunburn aloe gel with lidocaine. I used that with RO approval. My skin broke the first time was a real mess. This really h

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited October 2022
    Options

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I went through something similar. Whatever you try, put it in the refrigerator so that it's cool when applied. That should give you some instant relief, it might not last very long, but it's a nice break. I peaked exactly 14 days after my last session. On the 15th day I was healing and the itching and burning was gone (I know that doesn't help you much right now).

I hope you find something that gives you some relief.