Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Nipple sparing double mastectomy

Options
aprildawn714
aprildawn714 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2022 in Breast Reconstruction

I had my surgery in 2019. I was very lucky. No chemo or radiation. I was on Tamoxifen until October. Then my Oncologist switched me to another estrogen blocker. Most recently my nipples have become very sore and sensitive? Is this typical? Usually they are numb and uncomfortable. I thought maybe it is a side effect of the new medication as one of the effects is nerve pain. If I could do it all over again I don’t think I would have had the surgery. My breast are just numb and cold and uncomfortable. No feeling nothing. I really wish my Dr would have prepared me for that part of the outcome.

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,775
    edited October 2022
    Options

aprildawn714,

You don’t say what your new medication is. Is it an Aromatase inhibitor? I have been on all of the AI’s and have not had this issue but that doesn’t mean others won’t.I’m sorry your surgery/recon haven’t worked out as you had hoped. It is unfortunate that there seems to be no way to know in advance how it will go. I have skin sensation but since there is no underlying breast tissue, I never expected more than that.

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited October 2022
    Options

Aprildawn you may be one of the rarer people whose nerves regenerate to the point of sensation. I have skin sensation only, very minimal, but no sensation at the nipple area at all. You mention numb cold and uncomfortable. I wonder if what you are terming uncomfortable is scar tissue related. I ask because I had that experience and it was resolved with revision surgery. My PS went in and removed a ton of scar tissue that was impinging any "natural" ( ha) movement of my implants, making it feel like two rocks on my chest.