Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Breast lump, precancerous colon polyp...my DNA cant be trusted

Options
tuftedtitmouse
tuftedtitmouse Member Posts: 2
edited October 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hi everyone,

I really appreciate this supportive community that has formed, especially the thoughtfulness that has gone into creating a space where those of us who are undiagnosed can express concerns without taking away from the much-needed support offered in the other forums.

I'm 31, and a few months ago my husband noticed a painless lump in the upper inside area of my left breast. I assumed it was a cyst, so I waited through 2 menstrual cycles, but it has persisted. I finally went to the doctor last week, and she was immediately able to feel it, it's about 1-2 cm. She put in an order for a diagnostic mammogram and subsequent ultrasound if needed, but never gave any indication as to whether she thought it felt like a cyst, or perhaps it was hard to tell. The mammogram is still 2 days away and of course my anxiety levels are high even though I know statistically it's very likely benign.

Rewinding back to last year, I had a colonoscopy for some bowel issues, but during the procedure they found a very large polyp that turned out to be precancerous. I'm now convinced my DNA is just unstable and is *trying* to mess with me. But jokes aside, has anyone here dealt with polyps in the past? I find it odd to have a lump pop up so soon after that, but maybe my body just decided my 30's was the perfect time to start being weird.

Comments

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I don't know anything about polyps but breast lumps are incredibly common so it's probably just a coincidence. Not that it will make you feel any better though. Hope yours turns out to be nothing!
  • monarchandthemilkweed
    monarchandthemilkweed Member Posts: 154
    edited October 2022
    Options

hi! I urge you to consider genetic testing esp if you have a family history of cancer. I carry a gene that raises the risk of breast and colon cancer. Knowing I had that gene meant I got breast MRI’s and earlier colonoscopies. The routine breast mri is what found my cancer. I’m a big proponent of knowing your risk. Something to consider! Good luc

• tuftedtitmouse
    tuftedtitmouse Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2022
    Options

That's interesting, I may look into that at some point. I definitely think there is a genetic element to the colon stuff, my mom recently had several precancerous polyps removed.