Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

LYMPHEDEMA TREATMENT ACT

Options
mavericksmom
mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,121
edited November 2022 in Lymphedema

Breaking News: FULL HOUSE TO VOTE ON THE LYMPHEDEMA TREATMENT ACT THIS WEEK!!!!!

If you have lymphedema and do not get their emails, go to: LyphedemaTreatmentAct.org

It is a very active advocacy group for those with Lymphedema.

They are sending out more information pertaining to this week's vote, but we need all hands on deck, notifying your Representatives in the House to vote YES! I will pass on information as I get it.

PLEASE BE ACTIVE! THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL ISSUE, IT IS A BILL TO GET CONGRESS TO PASS A LAW TO GET MEDICARE AND EVENTUALLY, MEDICADE AND PRIVATE INSURERS, TO PAY FOR COMPRESSION GARMENTS WHICH IS THE PRIMARY TREATMENT FOR LYMPHEDEMA. My hope is that it will also extend to procedures involving lymph nodes and lymphedema.

Thank you to all!

Comments

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    Options

Thanks for the heads-up, MM. I have contacted all of my representatives and hope they will finally get this DONE.

This particular bill addresses compression garments as Durable Medical Equipment (similar to mastectomy bras) and will cover some associated costs for Medicare patients. There is no indication that any other coverage(s) will be extended for LE treatment by this bill.

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    Options

mavericksmom, thanks so much for posting this!

There are so many of our sisters out there who simply haven't been able to afford daytime compression garments, never mind the even pricier night garments. Some, of course, have simply given up. A simple phone call--five well-spent minutes!--tomorrow and we each can help them get their LE under control again and keep it that way by urging our Reps to get this passed. The website mm posted above offers you EASY instructions on how to place the call, and even a script of what to say if you need one.

TOGETHER WE CAN GET THIS DONE!!

Thanks, and hugs,
    Binney4

• mavericksmom
    Options

Thank you both so much lw and binney!!!!!!

VOTING BEGINS AT 6:30 PM ON MONDAY, NOVEMBER 14!!! PLEASE, IF YOU HAVEN'T CALLED YOUR REPRESENTATIVE, DO SO!

EVEN IF YOUR REPRESENTATIVE IS A COSPONSER, THAT DOES NOT GUARANTEE THEY ARE A "YES" VOTE!!! IT IS IMPORTANT THAT HE/SHE HEAR FROM YOU PRIOR TO THE VOTE!

More information at lymphedematreatmentact.org

• mavericksmom
    Options

Bumping to the top because this is too important to fail!

PLEASE MAKE THE CALL, IT ONLY TAKE LESS THAN A MINUTE TO DO!

• mavericksmom
    Options

Bumping up again because the vote is today!!!!

Frankly I am disappointed by the lack of response here. I assume there aren’t many here with lymphedema who are on Medicare, or there just wasn’t enough time for many to see this

My hope for passage of this bill is dwindling, perhaps I am just trying to avoid another disappointment.

Thank you to those who did call

• lw422
    Options

MM--I am hopeful but for some reason this legislation has stalled through several attempts since 2010. Many people who used to be involved have likely become discouraged because of the lack of interest by congress.

And of course, once it finally passes the House, it will have to go through the Senate and then be signed by the president. Absolutely INFURIATING that this does not get passed. They have no problem passing bills to pay for deadbeats who don't want to pay their college loans or for pump systems for men with erectile disfunction... but people with LE are left to deal with it on their own.

• mavericksmom
    Options

LW, you are 100% right! Thanks for still caring. I don’t think it will pass now either, kind of sums up how I have been feeling all day!

• mavericksmom
    Options

LW, you are 100% right! Thanks for still caring. I don't think it will pass now either, kind of sums up how I have been feeling all day!

• piperkay
    piperkay Member Posts: 132
    Options

I called all three of my Congressional representatives. My job puts me in front of a lot of state legislators and if I hear one thing it's that constituent calls are their primary method of making decisions on legislation. The count up the "fors" and the "againsts." And while they do read emails, it is the phone calls that make the biggest impact even if it's a voice mail message. I can only imagine it is the same for legislators on the federal level. If we give up, why should they take up our cause? They've got lots of other people in their ear with competing issues. Be our own advocate, right? If we aren't, no one else will be.

• binney4
    Options

The vote on this legislation has been moved to Thursday, as there were so many to vote on they couldn't complete them all. BUT THEY WILL! And our calls continue to matter. PLEASE HELP WITH THIS BY MAKING THE CALL! If your insurance covers LE garments already, please do remember those of us who must pay out of pocket, and lend your help to move this forward. The decisions made for Medicare coverage definitely affect other insurance companies' willingness to cover these expenses, so if you're in the U.S. you can help put LE coverage on the map with a simple phone call!

LET'S GET THIS DONE!!!

Thanks, and hugs,
    Binney

• binney4
    Options

And lw, I just want to encourage you that those who have been active in getting this legislation passed have by no means become discouraged. They're amazing people, really dedicated to making this happen for all of us, and they're excited to finally be this close to seeing it all come together. Thanks for your help in urging us all to join the fight for garment coverage.

Together we can make a difference!!!
    Binney

• lw422
    Options

I hope that everyone will take time this week to contact your SENATOR(S) from your state. The bill has passed the House and needs to be passed in the Senate so that it can be signed into law by the president. I have just called my two Texas senators and left lengthy voice mail messages after sending them emails. Let's get this DONE!

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 273
    Options

My Illinois senators have been contacted. Fingers crossed this is passed.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,269
    Options

Maverick'smom - I just want to thank you for this post/thread and bringing this issue to everyone's attention. I had heard of efforts to get this done back in 2019, but I had figured they'd gone nowhere. I did go check out the link you posted and signed up for the emails, so I've been watching the progress of this latest effort. No need for me to contact my reps though - they are all "all in". My congressional rep was a co-sponsor of the bill in the house, and I have no doubt that my 2 senators are on board. Thanks again, and fingers crossed.

• mavericksmom
    Options

One thing that for me, that felt really great about the vote was that it was definitely bipartisan! Washington officials actually CAN work together. We need to see the same in the Senate on this issue, and more from both house and Senate on important issues that face American citizens, regardless of who is President at the time. I took it as a sign that there is definitely more that unites us than divides us!

So thankful for all officials who voted for this bill! A huge step for those of us who suffer daily with lymphedema!

• lw422
    Options

I have decided to find out which ones DID NOT vote for the bill, and give them a piece of my mind. What a disgrace.

• mavericksmom
    Options

There almost always are some who will vote Nay for a bill. I try not to judge them w/o knowing their reasoning and I would rather focus on those who voted for the bill. That said, there were 13 Nay votes and here they are:

Arisona : Biggs

Colorado: Boebert AND Buck

Florida: Gaetz

Georgia: Clyde AND Hice

Montana: Rosendale

North Carolina: Cawthorn

South Caorlina: Norman

Tennessee: Rose

Texas: Roy

Virginia: Cline and Good

Overall, this was a huge success for our fight for lymphedema treatment! Crossing fingers the Senate gets to vote on this before they go on vacation and it passes the Senate!

I have absolutely NO DOUBT that the President will sign it if it passes the Senate.

Worst case, it doesn't make it through the Senate in time and then it goes back to square one! Until then, I want to hold on to that good, true bi-partisan feeling of unity! We all want the same things, we just may differ in how we achieve them. I am still thankful for those who voted NAY because they voted, maybe not the way I wanted or hoped they would, but they voted, and that is what Democracy is all about! This vote was an overwhelming bi-partisan WIN!

• dnazyme
    dnazyme Member Posts: 16
    Options

Here are the 17 that did not bother to vote:

Cartwright PA

Cheney WY

Doyle, M. PA

Ferguson GA

Grijalva AZ

Herrera-Beutler WA

Huizenga MI

Jackson TX

Jeffries NY

Kinzinger iL

Mullin OK

Pence IN

Scalise LA

Shrader OR

Simpson ID

Welch VT

Yarmuth KY

https://clerk.house.gov/Votes/2022485

• mavericksmom
    Options

Now our focus must be on the Senate. S.1315

If you go to LymphedemaTreatmentAct.com

They have a script and method for making the calls to your two Senators! Plus, you could win free garments!

Personally I don’t want the garments because I don’t wear them due to the fact that I c afford them because Medicare won’t pay anything towards them. For me to move forward with therapy etc, I need to know I can afford the garments. So I am calling my Senators but won’t go through the website.