Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone had an RFID tag localization?

Options
dianosaur
dianosaur Member Posts: 2

I am scheduled for a lumpectomy on Jan. 9 and my surgeon's assistant had talked to me about wire localization before the surgery. When I got a text from the diagnostic radiology facility today to confirm my appointment on Jan. 3 (they never called to schedule, just sent a text) I freaked out because I didn't want wires sticking out of my breast for nearly a week before the surgery! After spending an hour getting passed around between clueless people on the phone, I finally found someone who told me I'm not having a wire localization but an RFID tag localization, which can be done much earlier and doesn't stick out.

I asked the woman about any restrictions on activity between getting the tag and having my surgery, as I will need to work and have my young (3 and 5) nieces visiting for a couple of days in that time. She wasn't really very helpful, said I'd be able to shower, but mostly just said "The tech will tell you about all of that when you go." Well, I would like to be a bit more prepared for what to expect!

Has anyone here had this done? What was the procedure like? Were there any restrictions on your activity afterwards? Was it painful?

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,911
    Options

Hi Dianosaur and thanks for posting!

It certainly would be helpful for you to have some more information ahead of time -- always helps to know what to expect. We're glad you reached out here. Hopefully someone will be by soon to weigh in with their experience, but in the meantime, doing a quick search on the boards for RFID delivers some results that can get you started with at least a little info. Check out the results here.

We hope this helps you start feeling a little less anxious about what's to come. Please let us know if we can help with anything else, and please check back in to let us know how everything goes!

--The Mods

• quietgirl
    quietgirl Member Posts: 165
    Options

I thought I responded to this last week. I hope you already found the answers you were looking for but just in case you didn’t. RFID implant is similar to a needle core biopsy except they aren’t removing anything just putting a tag in (which I find sort of annoying because they put a tag in when they do a biopsy it’s just not an RFID one. So they find they numb you after they find what they consider the right position insert it take a picture to make sure it’s in the right position and then wave the receiver wand over you to make sure that it’s admitting the Signal. Then you are done. The worse part is probably the fact I think they use mammogram to find position so you are in the vice grip for the whole thing laying on your stomach. No restrictions that I can remember at all after the fact. So it’s relatively quick but obviously it is not very comfortable